Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 13 Oct 21, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
holidaysaver75
Imagineer

Son thinks he can pass his driving test without any lessons!

My DS son (17) is convinced that a combination of being taken out by me and his dad / watching YouTube videos means he won’t need to have any driving lessons with a qualified instructor. We think he’s crazy but can’t convince him otherwise. Are there any driving instructors out there who can help me out with arguments I can use to convince him to try and book some lessons? What’s behind it is a combination of teenage arrogance and impatience, as it’s almost impossible to find an instructor up here at the moment.
holidaysaver75 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I would wait until he thinks he's ready for the test then insist that he has "just one lesson to pick up on any bad habits"
Then he will find out the truth. He might even be right, but at least you will be sure one way or the other
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:00 PM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

serious question but do you not have to take some actual lessons with a qualified instrauctor ? i did mine in 1987 so cant really recall

or could you literally wing it on the day ?
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
anna68
VIP Dibber

anna68's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Perhaps go with it and get him to show you in your car on a very quiet bit of roads like a business park over the weekend! Obviously with insurance etc all sorted!
anna68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Hammerstone
Very Serious Dibber

Don't say anything, get his theory done and then book him a test.

Sometimes people who have delusions need to find out themselves their views are not in touch with reality. Or, hes right and passes first time so win win
Hammerstone is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Gev
Imagineer

So he will know what even steering the car literally feels like and could control it at any speed at all? He'll know how to reverse and how that feels? Make a deal with him that if he has just one lesson and still feels that way, then he can book a test at his own expense. Good luck with this!
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by novocastrian View Post
serious question but do you not have to take some actual lessons with a qualified instrauctor ? i did mine in 1987 so cant really recall

or could you literally wing it on the day ?
No you don’t have to take any lessons with a qualified instructor , you can literally just wing it on the day.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:17 PM  
Link to this Post
RuthieR
Getting Excited

What is the wait time for a driving test? If he is so confident get him to book, pay and take the test. It isn't just a case of being able to drive, he has to be safe, aware of other drivers and able to deal with situations as they arise, this is only gained with experience and by lessons with an instructor.
RuthieR is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:18 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by Gev View Post
So he will know what even steering the car literally feels like and could control it at any speed at all? He'll know how to reverse and how that feels? Make a deal with him that if he has just one lesson and still feels that way, then he can book a test at his own expense. Good luck with this!
He did say going out with his Mum/Dad.
I had some lessons but had been driving my brothers to from nursery school with my Mum supervising for a while
Old 13 Oct 21, 01:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Edie ray
Apprentice Imagineer

My daughters friend did it this way, I’m not sure why

The dad bought a car and off they went everyday, she passed her test first time and maybe had one or two lessons near her test x
Edie ray is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List