Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Apr 18, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Hilton Tokyo Bay - Great For Disney But For Tokyo..?

Hello all.

In very very early stages of planning a trip to Tokyo - just to see the 2 Disney parks and Tokyo itself, with a trip on a bullet train. My better half works for Virgin Trains and wants to see one, and I am wanting to also.

I get Hilton Honours Gold status through work so was wondering about staying at the Hilton Tokyo Bay, which looks perfect for the parks but how long a trip each way is it into Tokyo centre from there, to say Shibuya to see the crossing there?

Would we be better doing another Hilton - if the gold status gives us anything worth having, what peoples thoughts please?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Apr 18, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

I used the Sheraton Tokyo Bay (which is next to the Hilton Tokyo Bay) as a base when I went a few years ago. We did a couple of days of sightseeing in Tokyo and then 3 Disney park days.

It's actually really quite easy to get into the centre of Tokyo. Google Maps tells me that it will take 1 hour 10 minutes to get from Hilton Tokyo Bay to Shibuya using public transportation. To other parts of the city e.g. Tsukiji it is closer around 40-50 minutes. Essentially the Disney Resort Line (which is way nicer than the WDW monorail) will bring you from the resort station (where the Hilton/Sheraton are) to Maihama station, from which you can take a train into central Tokyo. It's very easy to use although we did rely on Google Maps a fair bit to get around.

I think if you wanted to concentrate on the city more then it might be worth thinking about staying in the city. For what it's worth though I felt I got much better value for a hotel room near Disney (bigger and cheaper than in the city centre itself) so decided to just use that as a base...
Old 15 Apr 18, 05:44 PM  
Link to this Post
burnoutbabe
Getting Excited

this will probably come down to cost i think.

Toyko bay hilton is costing me £141 per night inc breakfast for one of the nicer rooms.
Shinjuki Hilton is costing £225 per night (inc breakfast) for the smallest, cheapest room.
burnoutbabe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Apr 18, 08:32 PM  
Link to this Post
dipsydoodle
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by AntonyJ View Post
Hello all.

In very very early stages of planning a trip to Tokyo
If u haven't found it yet the disney tourist blog has lots of useful info for Japan - Tom Bricker the author has spent an awful lot of time there and has reviews for disney restaurants, planning tips and lots more

dipsydoodle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 18, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
hornetgirl
Imagineer

We split our stay between Disney and the city. For the city part we stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku, which we were very impressed with. If it is coming out too expensive I would look for another hotel in Tokyo for the city part of your trip. It is doable from Disney but it's a bit of a trek. It sounds like your plans are quite similar to what we did. My trip report is here if you fancy a read:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...=Tokyo+travels
Old 23 Apr 18, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

I've also stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku and can recommend that hotel. From memory it was around a 40 minute journey by train to Disney. If you look on the Disney website it shows around 30 minutes from Shinjuku (with 1 change) but from the Hilton Shinjuku you need to add another short connection on as the hotel is at Nishi Shinjuku (or you could walk it).

Getting around by train and Metro in Tokyo is pretty easy. The station names are written in English and also they announce each station name upon arrival.

If you are looking to do a few journeys then get yourself a Japan Rail pass. They are only available in the UK before you leave and will save you a fortune as trains as very expensive in Japan. The JR rail pass will give you unlimited access and if you have the time its worth taking the train to see a few places. There is plenty to see and do in Tokyo but if you have time I would recommend Hiroshima, its about 4 hours by Bullet train but definitely worth a visit.
swintonowl is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:30 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by hornetgirl View Post
We split our stay between Disney and the city. For the city part we stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku, which we were very impressed with. If it is coming out too expensive I would look for another hotel in Tokyo for the city part of your trip. It is doable from Disney but it's a bit of a trek. It sounds like your plans are quite similar to what we did. My trip report is here if you fancy a read:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...=Tokyo+travels
Off to read them now

I do not mind a split stay, but would ant to do one at start of trip, rather than end. Perhaps land and go to Hilton at Disney and then move after 2 or 3 nights there.

Shinjuku one looks perfect but pricey.

I would like to do Hilton if possible as I get Gold status with them through work, and that might be worth something.

I hear they have flash sales so trying to keep an eye open for them.

Finally, I hear that the Disney Hilton has bigger rooms / cheaper, than the city centre ones - as it the one near Disney gives more room for your money. Any view?
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Apr 18, 09:31 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by swintonowl View Post
I've also stayed at the Hilton Shinjuku and can recommend that hotel. From memory it was around a 40 minute journey by train to Disney. If you look on the Disney website it shows around 30 minutes from Shinjuku (with 1 change) but from the Hilton Shinjuku you need to add another short connection on as the hotel is at Nishi Shinjuku (or you could walk it).

Getting around by train and Metro in Tokyo is pretty easy. The station names are written in English and also they announce each station name upon arrival.

If you are looking to do a few journeys then get yourself a Japan Rail pass. They are only available in the UK before you leave and will save you a fortune as trains as very expensive in Japan. The JR rail pass will give you unlimited access and if you have the time its worth taking the train to see a few places. There is plenty to see and do in Tokyo but if you have time I would recommend Hiroshima, its about 4 hours by Bullet train but definitely worth a visit.
We want to do Tokyo only, but with a trip on a bullet train so that will have a day in another city.

Rail costs, I had heard hight but as they have different train companies, can you get an Oyster type card that lets you on them all? Well all bar the bullet train even?
Old 24 Apr 18, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
swintonowl
VIP Dibber

It is a few years since I have been so not sure but you could try asking Japan travel Center based in London but you can also call them. They are really friendly and helpful, you will have to google them as I cannot post the link.

If you want a short day trip on the bullet train you could try Niigata, it’s around 2 hours but without a rail card you would be looking at £70 each way on the train. Their system isn’t like England where you can get saver tickets and discounted off peak etc it’s one price and double it for a return.

For a really short journey by bullet train you could go from Tokyo to Yokohama (takes about 15 mins) but doesn’t really get up to speed in that time.

Best to do your research now as they only sell rail passes at a discounted price in the UK. You cannot get them once you are there.
swintonowl is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List