Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 1 Jul 19, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Can anyone recommend a company that build / install conservatories?

We are hoping to have a conservatory added to the side of our house. Has any one got any recommendations / warnings about the main companies ie Anglia / Everest / Reliant. I don't really know where to start looking.
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 01:30 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
I used Carera windows who are a local firm who might cover your area too, seeing (if I recall correctly) we don't live a million miles away from one another. They were great from start to finish. We paid about £15k for a 5 x 4m, glass roof conservatory. That included all finishings (plastering, electrics, flooring, installation of a ceiling fan).

One tip we had was make sure you get a firm who will take responsibility for the whole job. We heard some nightmare stories where the people getting the conservatory agreed to pay the builders who laid the foundations separately, and so when there were problems it led to disputes about who was responsible.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Originally Posted by itsrachelhere View Post
I used Carera windows who are a local firm who might cover your area too, seeing (if I recall correctly) we don't live a million miles away from one another. They were great from start to finish. We paid about £15k for a 5 x 4m, glass roof conservatory. That included all finishings (plastering, electrics, flooring, installation of a ceiling fan).

One tip we had was make sure you get a firm who will take responsibility for the whole job. We heard some nightmare stories where the people getting the conservatory agreed to pay the builders who laid the foundations separately, and so when there were problems it led to disputes about who was responsible.
Yes we are quite local, I'll Google them!

Great tip thanks, I was leaning towards the well know suppliers as I think they would be easier to hold accountable if something did go wrong but then everyone says avoid them like the plague and go independent.

In your opinion, was it worth the expense / do you get a lot of use out of the extra space?
abiknox is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Originally Posted by abiknox View Post
Yes we are quite local, I'll Google them!

Great tip thanks, I was leaning towards the well know suppliers as I think they would be easier to hold accountable if something did go wrong but then everyone says avoid them like the plague and go independent.

In your opinion, was it worth the expense / do you get a lot of use out of the extra space?
I would definitely go for a well established independent firm if we were to do it again. Those big national firms are just a joke to deal with. We have moved house since getting the conservatory, but I loved it and we did use the space! I would definitely get a glass roof again as it helps regulate the temperate better than non-glass, plus I loved looking through and seeing the clouds floating past! I would get as much as possible of the walls made of brick though for climate control purposes, and also it's nice for things like hanging pictures on the wall.
itsrachelhere is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 05:29 PM  
Link to this Post
shack69
Imagineer

We used a local company in Liverpool. Before placing the order they arranged for us to visit a couple of customers they had done before. They organsied all the builiding work and no real issues. We did have a problem after a couple of year and they came out and fixed it no issue as they offer a 10 year guarntee. We had another issue (box gutter) and again no problem they came and resolved it. So i would use them.
As for the roof we looked at the polly roof and the people we talk to about the noise when it rains out us of and we are so glad we paid a little more for the self cleaning UV glass. Self cleaning is great and i would not of liked to be cleaning the glass regularly.
shack69 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jul 19, 05:32 PM  
Link to this Post
itsrachelhere
Imagineer

itsrachelhere's Reviews
Originally Posted by shack69 View Post
As for the roof we looked at the polly roof and the people we talk to about the noise when it rains out us of and we are so glad we paid a little more for the self cleaning UV glass. Self cleaning is great and i would not of liked to be cleaning the glass regularly.
This is what we had - I couldn't remember what it was called!
Old 17 Jul 19, 01:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Col&Ali
Imagineer

Hi Abi, have you made any progress with this? This is on my wish list too but we have a stupid drain in the garden which I'm worried will interfere with any build works!
Col&Ali is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
abiknox
Imagineer

abiknox's Reviews
Im waiting for another company to come and quote. We got a price of £32k from Anglia which came down to £18.5k once we changed the roof and told him our budget .

I personally wont use them because of their bad reputation but now we have a price in writing I'm hoping a local company can come and beat it.
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
lesley1960
Imagineer

Mobile

I can recommend you don't use Anglian, we have had nothing but trouble with the conservatory they built us
lesley1960 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jul 19, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Button17
Imagineer

We nearly had to call the police on an Everest salesman. It was really nasty. Wouldn't leave our house after 3 hours of badgering us to sign on the dotted line.

We have had two conservatories built by Anglian are were pleased with the process, and aftercare where needed. Present one was built 12 years ago.

We use ours daily as very large, dining, sitting, music area.

Edited at 03:10 PM.
Button17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List