Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Closed Thread

Old 26 Mar 12, 11:12 PM  
Link to this Post
MANATEE33
Excited about Disney

Winter the dolphin

Hi everyone
Has anyone been to the Clearwater Aquarium to see Winter ?
Is it worth the trip, how much is it to get in ?
My 10 year old daughter is obsessed with dolphins and particularly Winter since seeing the film so would love to go.
Thanks
MANATEE33 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 12, 11:55 AM  
Link to this Post

My kids are the same. Although I can't answer any questions now, I am planning a trip when we are there in May so could let you know if no-one else answers sooner .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Mar 12, 12:48 PM  
Link to this Post

Look at the website, different prices for different admission, different tours,will let you know when we get back. My daughter"adopted Winter" for xmas
Old 29 Mar 12, 03:55 AM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

We went today and paid $65 for 2 adults & 2 kids (with coupon for $1 off each). I think the website was confusing & looked like you required to pre-book, but we turned up and got entry ok. I would suggest going direct to Winter Dolphin Tale Adventure as you can park for free with ease and jump the free Jolly Trolley to the aquarium (every 15 minutes). Pay for your admission and then go outside for the trolley (you will return to this attraction and it's spacious and air-conditioned, so probably better to view later). Means you skip the large queues at the aquarium itself and just walk straight in with your wristband.

It took us 1 1/2 hours from US27. There was a stall for snacks, drinks machines and picnic tables, but nothing suitable for lunch (yet).

Seaworld it isn't, you have to remind yourself it is still a working aquarium, but staff were obviously very knowledgeable, patient and helpful. We got to see Winter, Hope, Panama and Nicholas (who did a 10 minute display). There were lots of other talks, but it is very apparent this is a working marine hospital. It is currently spring-break in the Clearwater area, and it was very busy, getting to see the dolphins was a bit of a free-for-all. You could pay extra for a photo opportunity and meet Winter or Hope, but my kids didn't want to. Understandably they are coining in on the movie and there are lots of "scene shots". We spent about 2 hours looking about and watching talks/displays, and then went to the beach.

Hope this helps - I will try post some pictures.
Old 29 Mar 12, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
my dd 9 who will be 10 when we go is also obsessed with dolphins, we couldnt afford discovery cove so are taking her and her brothers to marineland st augustine to swim with them it costs about £400 which we are saving in pot of dreams. Winter wont be there but there are other dolphins and different things to do like touch and feed, dolphin painting or just general admission. I know ds is probably better but we couldnt pay £600 + to go. Just thought I would let you know in case you wanted to go there
Old 29 Mar 12, 09:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinks_81
Apprentice Imagineer

I am also looking at going with my children but more so for me, im a big kid at heart.

Team Jeans - is it worth the trip?
2012 highgrove villa
2014 AOA at TownCentre villa
Tinks_81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 12:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Team Jeans
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Disney&ME View Post
I am also looking at going with my children but more so for me, im a big kid at heart.

Team Jeans - is it worth the trip?
I am glad we went, if only to support the aquarium, but in terms of seeing Winter it was maybe like standing for a few hours to see a celebrity and then seeing them walk by for a minute. My 7 year old loved it, " because you saw her for real!" and kids did get nearer the front.

As I said, it is Spring Break, so very busy.
Old 29 Mar 12, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
bella9
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Team Jeans View Post
We went today and paid $65 for 2 adults & 2 kids (with coupon for $1 off each). I think the website was confusing & looked like you required to pre-book, but we turned up and got entry ok. I would suggest going direct to Winter Dolphin Tale Adventure as you can park for free with ease and jump the free Jolly Trolley to the aquarium (every 15 minutes). Pay for your admission and then go outside for the trolley (you will return to this attraction and it's spacious and air-conditioned, so probably better to view later). Means you skip the large queues at the aquarium itself and just walk straight in with your wristband.

It took us 1 1/2 hours from US27. There was a stall for snacks, drinks machines and picnic tables, but nothing suitable for lunch (yet).

Seaworld it isn't, you have to remind yourself it is still a working aquarium, but staff were obviously very knowledgeable, patient and helpful. We got to see Winter, Hope, Panama and Nicholas (who did a 10 minute display). There were lots of other talks, but it is very apparent this is a working marine hospital. It is currently spring-break in the Clearwater area, and it was very busy, getting to see the dolphins was a bit of a free-for-all. You could pay extra for a photo opportunity and meet Winter or Hope, but my kids didn't want to. Understandably they are coining in on the movie and there are lots of "scene shots". We spent about 2 hours looking about and watching talks/displays, and then went to the beach.

Hope this helps - I will try post some pictures.
Thanks for this Teamjeans, we're staying in Clearwater for 4 days, plan to visit the aquarium and this info is very helpful. I look forward to your piccies when you get time.
bella9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 12, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post

we went last September on our way back from a few days at St Pete Beach, our daughter wanted to go as she is in her 3rd year in college doing animal care.
The place is run down, but well cared for, the profits from the film will be used to re build the place. it is worth going to
when we entered we were directed where to park, it isnt a carpark as such just like waste land I would say, its free and its just across from the aquarium. there are signs showing you where parts of the film were filmed etc
Go you will enjoy it and seeing Winter is a must!
Old 2 Apr 12, 10:12 PM  
Link to this Post

My husband and I have just been and I have to be honest - we were quite disappointed. It seemed to us that it did not seem to be a working rescue centre anymore and it was all about cashing in on Winter. Most of the animals we seen were permanent and seemed to have been there a long time and there seemed to be no new rescues taking place.

I thought the tanks were small and they looked very dirty.

The place is very small. Some people will love it but it wasn't for us.

Closed Thread