Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 1 Jan 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairebear
Proud to wear my Ears

Water parks and an unconfident swimmer

Hello there,

We are going to Florida in July and my son is going to be 12 and unfortunately even after spending loads of money on swimming lessons hes still a very unconfident swimmer. He did get his 25m swimming badge but it took him a long time and he doesn't enjoy swimming as it doesn't come naturally to him. He's since been diagnosed with dyspraxia.

I have been looking at the water parks. He loves water slides that we have been on at local swimming pools that empty into waist deep and lower height.

What are the water slide exit pools like at TL, BB and VB? Are there any slides which are a complete no-no for weak swimmers?

Thank you

Edited at 05:45 PM.
Clairebear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Disney Jo
Imagineer

Mobile

Hi,
My DD has dyspraxia as well. She loves the water parks, although there are some big slides she won’t go on. She is 12 but will still go on lots - especially the rides with floats we can go as a family and she loves the lazy rivers.

Try some you tube videos, if your son is anything like my daughter she needs to know what to expect in advance and this helps us choosing which rides she would like. I also print a park map off for each place and spend time watching the rides/slides and she highlights what ones she would like to do.

Happy planning.
August 2018 - Villa at Oak Island Community
December 2021 - Art of Animation Cars Suite
Disney Jo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 05:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer2802
Imagineer

Imagineer2802's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 27

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 5
Guidebook Photos: 74
Many of the slides end in fairly deep plunge pools that you’ll need to swim out of. My suggestion would be to send an adult down the slide first so they can hover in the pool to pull him up afterwards - if in doubt, there are life guards at every pool!

There are only few slides that don’t involve sitting in a raft anyway so could always give those a miss.

2019 - August - Europe on the Magic! 17th Trip!

**~ °o° ~°o° ~ °o°~°o° ~°o° ~ °o°~**
Imagineer2802 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

There are lots of rides (mainly the ones with rings) where you can paddle yourself to the edge and climb off without even getting wet. Others the catch pool should be fine for a 12 year old to stand in, my DD is 5ft and managed on most of them. You can see the catch pools for all rides, so check them out first, but there will be plenty for him to go on
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 05:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairebear
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you for your replies.

Time to study the maps and youtube videos.

Oh well more Disney planning it is
Clairebear is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:11 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

He can wear a swimming life vest thing. Sorry can’t remember what they are called. Lots of people have them on he won’t stand out.
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Clairebear
Proud to wear my Ears

Thank you Scoobydooby.

Are these available in each water park?
Old 1 Jan 20, 07:29 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Clairebear View Post
Thank you Scoobydooby.

Are these available in each water park?
There are loads at the Disney parks and Aquatica. I am sure VB will have them as well. They are the life vests that look like jackets. If he needs a larger size that you don't see hanging on the racks just ask.
Old 1 Jan 20, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

Mobile

Have you considered crash course lessons as well?

My DD’s never took to regular swimming lessons so in the end they did crash courses during the school holidays. 30mins lessons each morning for a week. The improvement in both technique and confidence was immense. Just a thought.

As others have said though. For the most part he’ll be totally fine.
Old 2 Jan 20, 08:34 AM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

If he is not a strong swimmer, then I'd be very cautious about the wave pool in TL when it starts - it's often pretty full, and even standing waist deep in the water, the waves are very powerful, and I can imagine that it could be very frightening if you aren't confident in the water.