Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 4 Oct 20, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post
The Bobbo's
Very Serious Dibber

I read lots as a teenager and enjoyed them all. The only one that scared me, and I was an adult, was Dreamcatcher. Not sure why.

My dad was reading Pet Cemetery many years ago, heard a noise in his wardrobe and threw the book towards the sound. He was convinced the book was behind it! 🤣🤷
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenS
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I am a huge huge Stephen King fan. The Stand Is my all time favourite with The Long Walk a close second. Also loved Needful Things. I wouldn’t recommend Insomnia it’s very slow. Loved Cujo and 11.22.63 which I thought was amazing. I also love The Dark Tower series. Misery & Dolores Clairborne too. Amazing author.
KarenS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 20, 11:20 PM  
Link to this Post
returnplanning
Imagineer

It and Salem's Lot both still terrify me as an adult.

I really enjoyed Needful Things as well.

I disliked Gerald's Game though
Old 5 Oct 20, 07:12 AM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

I’m reading Salem’s Lot at the moment and have read most of his others .
IT is fantastic but it is a gruelling read , it’s so dark and sucks you in that I was a bit depressed reading it but it’s definitely one of my favourites.
My first Stephen king book was The shining which I read at 11 and I just loved them from there .
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 08:54 AM  
Link to this Post
TigerLily8
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by KarenS View Post
I am a huge huge Stephen King fan. The Stand Is my all time favourite with The Long Walk a close second. Also loved Needful Things. I wouldn’t recommend Insomnia it’s very slow. Loved Cujo and 11.22.63 which I thought was amazing. I also love The Dark Tower series. Misery & Dolores Clairborne too. Amazing author.
I second 11.22.63. It was the first Stephen King book I read and was not what I expected at all (in a good way). Very easy to read and a great plot.
TigerLily8 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 09:41 AM  
Link to this Post
kempydee
Being a bit Goofy

kempydee's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 2
The first Stephen King book I read as a teenager was Pet Cemetery- I recommend that as an introduction to his earlier horror books.

Not horror as such but his Dark Towers series of books are fantastic and The Green Mile is brilliant- the film was great but the book is so much better.
The Dark Half is excellent, really scared me.

Rita Haworth & the Shawshank Redemption is again a brilliant film but a better book (short story).

Edited at 09:46 AM.
kempydee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
iwani
slightly serious Dibber

I've just finished collecting every Stephen King book (took me a while as I mostly stuck to charity shops/car boot sales to keep the costs down!). I've been reading since I was a teen and for some books it's been a while and I don't remember them that well now, so I have a bit of re-reading I'd like to do. Favourites are IT (a long slog but a masterpiece), The Stand (same), I have always had a soft spot for Insomnia though it's not a popular choice... The Shining gave me sleepless nights...
I've only just read the Dark Tower series after assuming I wouldn't like it as don't read much fantasy and LOVED it. Of his recent work, Duma Key and 11.22.63 are real stand outs for me.
If looking to start out I'd maybe go with the novellas, The Mist is great and N is one of my favourite things he's ever written in any form, it was one I just couldn't shake off.
iwani is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Oct 20, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I've loved his books for years, and own them all. My mum always used to buy them for my sister & I for Christmas, but since she died almost 2 years ago, my dad has now taken up the mantle and does the same thing. My favourites are the whole of the Dark Tower series, (easy first introduction to his books, in my opinion), The Green Mile, and one he co-wrote with Peter Straub called The Talisman, I love that one.