Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Mar 17, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post

Dragon Challenge closing: Further Rumours

So a few sources have recently been carrying on the rumour that Dragon Challenge will close and be replaced with yet another dark ride.

I think if Dragon Challenge isn't replaced by another rollercoaster, then I see no reason to go back to Universal. I wouldn't want to pay £250pp (2018 price) to go to a theme park that is made up of a huge chunk of media based attractions. There needs to be a balance of attractions in my opinion, or else it gets stale quickly. You wouldn't install 10 Wild Mouse rides (Winter Wonderland felt like a museum of Wild Mouse rides), so why would you keep installing screen based attractions?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I've just heard Tim Tracker mention this. I agree with what you say, surely no more screen based rides. It's just getting plain lazy.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:56 PM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

While I don't ride Dragon challenge anymore due to getting old and feel rubbish on coasters I 100% agree with you. There needs to be a good mix.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 17, 09:57 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Have they got an idea when it's due to close?
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Mrs_O View Post
Have they got an idea when it's due to close?
No idea at the moment as there is no official announcement from Universal, and they have refused to comment thus far. Rumours state the replacement will be in place by 2019/2020.

If Universal are refusing to comment, not even mention that the Dragon Challenge will be going nowhere - that to me sets the alarm bells ringing.

Here is one source: bizjournals/orlando/...aking.amp.html
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
elmspenguin
VIP Dibber

I hope they don't go as I like both of the coasters and with not doing SW and BG this year it won't leave us with many to go on. That could mean a rethink of of our plans and more pennies to be spent.

I have read on another forum that if they do go it would probably be after the summer crowds like they did with the Hulk refurb.
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by elmspenguin View Post
I hope they don't go as I like both of the coasters and with not doing SW and BG this year it won't leave us with many to go on. That could mean a rethink of of our plans and more pennies to be spent.

I have read on another forum that if they do go it would probably be after the summer crowds like they did with the Hulk refurb.
It makes sense to close it after the summer crowds. We're going in July to Universal - if it gets closed before then, I shall be very unhappy.
Old 22 Mar 17, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Tangled
Apprentice Imagineer

It's not quite been the same since they stopped racing together but it's still a great coaster.
* Tarpon Springs '07 * New York '07 * Hampton Lakes '09 * Mission Park March '11 * Four Corners Sep '11 * Dream Castle DLP December '12 * Florida Pines '14 & Grand Floridian Everglades Suite! * New York City...Surprise 30th December '14 * Lindfields & Grand Floridian September '15 * 1st trip with our little lady! WDW September '17 * DLP February ‘18 * 3 wks POR September '19 *
Miss_Tangled is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 12:10 AM  
Link to this Post
Cha cha
Imagineer

Mobile

That's a shame. It's not one of my favourites, but I know lots of people love this one.
😳
Cha cha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 17, 12:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

If they added VR, as seaworld are doing with Kracken, they could have a choice of videos which you could choose from for your ride. (Galactica at Alton Towers anyone) I prefer just the coaster itself but with Harry Potter the possibilities are endless, think what Disney did with star tours and multiply it. If universal end up with just the hulk and rip-ride as their coasters and keep upping their prices they are about to lose four customers.:angry:

Edited at 12:51 AM.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List