Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 10 Aug 17, 02:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile Florida in February or September?

I've been asked by a colleague which is better. Does anyone have any thoughts as I've not been at either of these times
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
N52939
Apprentice Imagineer

September would tend to be more reliable in terms of weather, and most of the US schools are back.

February the weather can be much cooler.
N52939 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:27 PM  
Link to this Post

We went in Febraury and it was desserted! We had made it to the far side of the park and not seen another person, such that we had to ask a cast member whether we had accidentally jumped a queue! We hadn't and just walked straight on the rides!

They do close one of the two water parks over the winter, so keep this in mind. The weather is still good enough for a water park day.

Also take a look at this for further help.

undercovertourist/bl...-disney-world/

Have a great time.

J
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Alison
Imagineer

Mobile

Many thanks
Princess Alison is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:42 PM  
Link to this Post
ianc
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by N52939 View Post
September would tend to be more reliable in terms of weather, and most of the US schools are back.

February the weather can be much cooler.
I wouldn't describe September weather as being 'more reliable'. It is certainly very much warmer than February (90 instead of 73 deg - so some might say it is too hot), but it is also very humid, which makes it uncomfortable. It is also in the rainy season, with twice as much rain than February. The hurricane season runs from June to November, and September is the month in which activity peaks. February is more like an English summer.

The schools are back in both February and September, so no difference there.

There are more hours of daylight in September. Florida is very popular in the 'winter' months with 'snowbirds', people from further north (Canada, north USA) who wish to escape the very harsh winters they can have there - they avoid the summer when it is too hot.
ianc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:47 PM  
Link to this Post

I'm not sure the time of year is all that reliable an indicator of the weather you'll get.
The last three years I've been late May/early June, and each time the weather has been very different. In a word: 2015: stifling, 2016: lovely, 2017: rain.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 02:54 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

February for me, which you can probably tell from my countdown title - I am definitely a snowbird! There are a couple of busy weekends (President's Day and the Princess half marathon) so you do need to work around those. The rest of the time is reasonably quiet though. Weather is lovely by my standards, may need a light jacket in the evening but days are still t-shirt weather most of the time.

I'm assuming they don't have to work around school times since they're considering September, so my recommendation would be the very end of February and into early March, depending when spring break falls that year. Purely because you get the Epcot Flower & Garden festival then which is beautiful. If spring break is early or they can't go in March at all, I'd switch to the first two weeks of February for the lower crowds (one of the quietest times of year) instead.

Edited at 02:56 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
johnandmaz
Imagineer

Originally Posted by N52939 View Post
September would tend to be more reliable in terms of weather,
Only been once before in September and it rained solid for the whole 2 weeks. And I mean solid. Looked out of the hotel room every morning to be met with the grayest of grey, wet days. Wasn't too concerned though as it was our honeymoon 25 years ago after all.

I should add it was an unusually extreme wet period.

Didn't scar me too much though as going again next September for the Food & Wine Festival and Halloween. Always a bonus that time of year. February was a touch chilly for me in the evening. Last few trips we've overlapped from August into the first week in September and apart from the usual afternoon rain shower and the tail end of Hurricane I forgetwhatthenamewas found it to be lovely.

Florida - 91, 93, 94, 95, 97, 01, 03, 05, 07 - twice, 09, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 24
johnandmaz is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 03:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

February for me. Been both months of the year a few times and September was too hot for me. Lines longer in the parks, but choose your dates carefully in Feb. Weather cooler... usually, but thats what we prefer.
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 17, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Water parks at 18-20c does not sound fun in February. You wouldn't do it in it the UK!
Moorlandman is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List