Notices
Guest Services Site Questions, a tech query or just want to test something.

Old 2 Aug 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Ethernet cable or wireless mesh network like Orbi, Tenda Nova, Google WiFi etc.

We had similar problems and in the end I bought the high end Orbi, my son plugs his Xbox straight into one of the satellites and gets nearly 100% internet speed and a ping under 20.

I have a Tenda Nova as well which also did the job much cheaper but when I moved to Virgin 500 meg internet I wanted the best performance possible across the house so bought the Orbi as an upgrade.

Edited at 10:04 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
Ethernet cable or wireless mesh network like Orbi, Tenda Nova, Google WiFi etc.

We had similar problems and in the end I bought the high end Orbi, my son plugs his Xbox straight into one of the satellites and gets nearly 100% internet speed and a ping under 20.
Ping at under 20 is pretty good especially if it is consistent.

I like the idea of a mesh system but believe they are still quite expensive.
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by BerkshireBugsy View Post
Ping at under 20 is pretty good especially if it is consistent.

I like the idea of a mesh system but believe they are still quite expensive.
Some are about £150 which is what I paid for my Tenda Nova which performed well.

I have however now got the best Orbi one RBK50 (well the WiFi 6 one just out may be better) and three satellites. That was expensive, £600 ish in total but a minimum of 300 meg internet all over the house including garden decking is a joy.
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Some are about £150 which is what I paid for my Tenda Nova which performed well.

I have however now got the best Orbi one RBK50 (well the WiFi 6 one just out may be better) and three satellites. That was expensive, £600 ish in total but a minimum of 300 meg internet all over the house including garden decking is a joy.

How fast is your Internet connection into the house ?
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

How fast is your Internet connection into the house ?
500 meg but directly on router I get about 540.

I’m currently upstairs in a bedroom at the back of the house (router downstairs at the front) and these are my stats on a wireless Speedtest. Ping 13.

Old 2 Aug 20, 10:18 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Maybe worth looking at powerline adaptors then to remove the holes.
We had tried them and nope ... still tantrums.

For us, the ASD element of our situation meant we had holes in doors as a result of aggressive meltdowns. Therefore 'controlled holes' that had grommets was an answer worth the hassle.

We had a route through that was largely unseen. We did test the ethernet cable first by running it loose.

There may well be other solutions. For us, in with our specific set of circumstances, and for a relatively low outlay was worth it for the gain of everybody in the houses quality of life!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:22 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

500 meg but directly on router I get about 540.

I’m currently upstairs in a bedroom at the back of the house (router downstairs at the front) and these are my stats on a wireless Speedtest. Ping 13.

I'm jealous - not because of the mesh but because you get a decent Internet connection full stop
Old 2 Aug 20, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Ref powerline adapters. I believe some of them have issues if you have different mains ring for each floor so if, for example, your son is on the top floor and the router is on the ground floor they may be on seperate mains rings which may cause problems
Nope, old wives tail. Provided they are on the same board there is no issue with them being on different rings on the same board. Rare for a house to be on multiple consumer boards.

My DD's Xbox is plugged into a powerline adapter and gets sub 12ms latency all of the time. About 1ms more than being directly plugged into the router and no different to being plugged into my managed switch.

The WiFi mesh is slightly slower than the powerline as far as latency goes, but still sun 12ms.

If the challenge is to fix the Xbox issue then get the free powerline adapter from Virgin. It will solve the issue and latency will not be an issue.

No need to over think it, drill holes in walls or spend money on mesh networks.

I have done all of the solutions mentioned for various reasons, creating private networks, Vpns, guest networks, deploying quality of Service etc. This one is a case of keep it simple ...

Edited at 10:54 AM.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 20, 11:00 AM  
Link to this Post
BucksBugsy
All round good bloke

Mobile

Nope, old wives tail. Provided they are on the same board there is no issue with them being on different rings on the same board. Rare for a house to be on multiple consumer boards.

My DD's Xbox is plugged into a powerline adapter and gets sub 12ms latency all of the time. About 1ms more than being directly plugged into the router and no different to being plugged into my managed switch.

The WiFi mesh is slightly slower than the powerline as far as latency goes, but still sun 12ms.

If the challenge is to fix the Xbox issue then get the free powerline adapter from Virgin. It will solve the issue and latency will not be an issue.

I have done all of the solutions mentioned for various reasons, creating private networks, Vpns, guest networks, deploying quality of Service etc. This one is a case of keep it simple ...
I use qos to control the bandwidth my son (when he visits us) is allowed to use when he is with us. Works a treat.
Old 2 Aug 20, 12:50 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

I had 2 free power line adaptors from Virgin and they were a poor solution. Ditched them and got the mesh. I still have them somewhere in a drawer...