Notices
Beyond the Parks Attractions that are not covered by the main Theme Parks.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 6 May 20, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
#1
julie b
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 08

julie b's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Where to stop...

We are now hopefully driving from Miami airport to southern dunes...
My parents are both 75 so we are looking for a couple of stops along the way possibly with something to see or do for an hour or two...any help appreciated..
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
#2
Simon & Suzann
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 08
Location: South Wales
I assume you will be going on the US27. Nice chilled route and a few recreation park rest kind of areas you can stop at but not a great deal to do really bar stretch your legs and have a little walk. You need to be mindful though that you will have your suitcases etc in the car so could potentially be a target if left alone.

Lake Wales is nice to stop off at.

En route, about half way(ish!), there is Gatorama (gatorama). Never been ourselves but passed it a few times whilst travelling up and down from MIA & FLL.

There's a few little towns you go through where you can stop for food also.
When you first leave Miami there's nothing much but long straight roads and the odd small town but as you get nearer to Disney things start getting more and more busy with built up much bigger towns.

We normally book a cheap motel not far from the airport on the way towards the US27 near a supermarket just in case of any delays and can also re-energise. Wake up in the morning early and fresh then on our way rather than a very tired possibly dark drive after a long day flying.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 May 20, 12:57 PM  
Link to this Post
#3
julie b
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 08

julie b's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
I assume you will be going on the US27. Nice chilled route and a few recreation park rest kind of areas you can stop at but not a great deal to do really bar stretch your legs and have a little walk. You need to be mindful though that you will have your suitcases etc in the car so could potentially be a target if left alone.

Lake Wales is nice to stop off at.

En route, about half way(ish!), there is Gatorama (gatorama). Never been ourselves but passed it a few times whilst travelling up and down from MIA & FLL.

There's a few little towns you go through where you can stop for food also.
When you first leave Miami there's nothing much but long straight roads and the odd small town but as you get nearer to Disney things start getting more and more busy with built up much bigger towns.

We normally book a cheap motel not far from the airport on the way towards the US27 near a supermarket just in case of any delays and can also re-energise. Wake up in the morning early and fresh then on our way rather than a very tired possibly dark drive after a long day flying.
Hi thanks for your reply..
We had a cruise booked and was staying a few nights in Miami..but as cruise cancelled and situation we thought it better now to just head to the dibb villa we have booked.(safety first and all that)as Miami seems to be bad re covid19...and parents age..
So were flying into Miami Ive booked a night at a hotel at the airport then picking up the car and heading to southern dunes..
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 01:34 PM  
Link to this Post
#4
7SeasSailor
Imagineer
 
7SeasSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 11
I would go up the Florida Turnpike and stop at the Fort Lucie/Fort Pierce service for a break. I would then continue up the Turnpike and leave it at Yeehaw Junction travelling across country to pick up Highway 27 at Lake Wales. Its just a steady drive after that with plenty of places to get a snack.
__________________
I'm going to live forever! Triple bypass done - so far so good!
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 May 20, 06:47 PM  
Link to this Post
#5
julie b
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Sep 08

julie b's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
I would go up the Florida Turnpike and stop at the Fort Lucie/Fort Pierce service for a break. I would then continue up the Turnpike and leave it at Yeehaw Junction travelling across country to pick up Highway 27 at Lake Wales. Its just a steady drive after that with plenty of places to get a snack.
Thanks for reply will have a look at this route..
julie b is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 May 20, 06:18 PM  
Link to this Post
#6
Simon & Suzann
Apprentice Imagineer
 
Join Date: Nov 08
Location: South Wales
Mobile

Originally Posted by 7SeasSailor View Post
I would go up the Florida Turnpike and stop at the Fort Lucie/Fort Pierce service for a break. I would then continue up the Turnpike and leave it at Yeehaw Junction travelling across country to pick up Highway 27 at Lake Wales. Its just a steady drive after that with plenty of places to get a snack.
For future reference for possible Miami flights, what's at the Fort?
I love seeing new areas esp historic ones.
Simon & Suzann is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 May 20, 04:13 PM  
Link to this Post
#7
NewtoOrlando
VIP Dibber
 
NewtoOrlando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 14
Location: Middlesex
We usually drive up the Turnpike, and stop at Vero Beach, go for brunch at Muligans Beach House, right on the beach and is such a beautiful setting, marks the start of the holiday for us.
__________________
Miami/CBR/RPR/Bahama Bay Aug 16
Deerfield Beach/HRH/POFQ/Contemporary/Westridge - Aug 18
Hotel Cheyenne - Dec 18
All Star Sport/POFQ/Aylesbury Villa/Deerfield Beach - Oct 19
Palm Tree Villa, Kissimmee - Aug 20 Covid CANCELLED

Windward Bay/Pop Century - Feb 2021 - Covid Cancelled
Legacy Park/Hard Rock hotel - Aug 2022
NewtoOrlando is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 May 20, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
#8
7SeasSailor
Imagineer
 
7SeasSailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 11
Originally Posted by Simon & Suzann View Post
For future reference for possible Miami flights, what's at the Fort?
I love seeing new areas esp historic ones.
Its purely a motorway service area. If you use highway 1 which is the coast road there is the US Navy Seal Museum at Fort Pierce, I've been meaning to go for years but something else always crops up.
__________________
I'm going to live forever! Triple bypass done - so far so good!
7SeasSailor is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 May 20, 07:42 AM  
Link to this Post
#9
Pussycat Doll
VIP Dibber
 
Pussycat Doll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 09

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
We drove up on Boxing Day with a stopover at Jupiter for the night. Lovely place, beautiful beach and pier which was lovely for a stroll
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 May 20, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
#10
anji
Imagineer
 
anji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 04
Location: Southampton
We drove up the US27 (after staying the night at Doral, near the airport) and stopped at Clewiston for coffee and later at Sebring. Sebring was very pretty and we went to a lovely cafe on Sebring Circle.
We liked the 27 as it's quieter - not so many trucks - and more interesting, so you can stop whenever you want to.
anji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Latest News
Posted in Walt Disney World
On 27th October 3:18pm
Walt Disney World has announced that their entrance gateways to Walt Disney World are about... Read More »
Posted in Disneyland News
On 21st October 8:51am
Disneyland California is the only major Disney theme park to not reopen after all the... Read More »
Posted in Disney Shopping
On 18th October 9:02am
Disney has reduced the price of its large soft toys by up to 50%. Bargains... Read More »

theDIBB Menu


Exchange Rates
US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2649
CaxtonFX  $1.2636
Covent Garden FX  $1.2762
FAIRFX  $1.2790
John Lewis  $1.2656
M&S  $1.2454
Post Office  $1.2449
Sainsburys  $1.2623
TESCO  $1.2651
Travelex  $1.2600
Updated: 10:00 30/10/2020
Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0838
CaxtonFX  €1.0820
Covent Garden FX  €1.0971
FAIRFX  €1.0815
John Lewis  €1.0850
M&S  €1.0664
Post Office  €1.0661
Sainsburys  €1.0816
TESCO  €1.0837
Travelex  €1.0800
Updated: 10:00 30/10/2020

DIBB Premium Membership
Did you know you can help support theDIBB with Premium Membership?

Check out this link for more information and benefits, such as...

"No adverts on theDIBB Forums"

Upgrade Now