Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 19 Jun 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
juless77
Imagineer

how to cook perfect rice ?

I want to cook long grain rice but it always comes out a mushy mess if I do it in the pan I do have a steamer and a rice container and wondered if it would cook any better in that can anyone advise me please I usually buy the microwave ones but thought I would try the long grain one any help appreciated please
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Feb 2010
Hampton Inn Pointe Orlando Sept 2011/2013
juless77 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 09:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Ivegottadream
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I used to have this issue and googled a bit for advice. Apparently the key is to soak the rice for at least 30 minutes before cooking. So I measure 1 mug of rice and soak it. Then drain and add 2 mugs of cold water. Boil with the lid on until all the water is absorbed. This had turned my rice from mush to fluffy individual grains. Works with all kinds of rice afaik.
Ivegottadream is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post

I always used to end up with enough to feed a small country, so just stick with Tilda microwave rice for the two of us now.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 10:11 AM  
Link to this Post
MariaLynda
VIP Dibber

I usually cook a cup of rice for two of us. I rinse it a lot in cold water to get rid of some of the starch. I put enough cold water to cover roughly about an inch above. A bit of salt, bring to the boil, a quick stir, lid on and trn down to lowest on my gas ring. Takes about 20 mins. If I put too much water it goes mushy. I just eyeball it.

Ridgewood Lakes Oct 1999 : Westridge May 2001 : Florida Pines Jan 2003 : Crescent Lakes May '05 : Sandy Ridge May '09 : Sandy Ridge Sept/Oct '10 : Tuscan Ridge April/May '12 : Emerald Island Nov '14 : Windsor Palms May '16 : Emerald Island April/May '18
MariaLynda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 10:13 AM  
Link to this Post
pawwavingpuppy
Imagineer

Mobile

Taught to me by an Indian friend about 30 years ago...
Cook basmati rice as per packet instructions usually about 11 minutes.
Strain into a colander. Rinse thoroughly with cold water.
Sit on a mixing bowl to drain.

I do mine in the morning usually so it drains all day.
And I usually cook enough for an army. 😀
When needed I just spoon enough into a bowl and microwave.
I freeze the rest in bags.

Never have sticky rice.
pawwavingpuppy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sophiepop
Imagineer

sophiepop's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
my NEVER fail method is so easy to follow.

10 oz rice needs 1 pint of cold water.

5 oz need half pint.

Method: put the rice in a pan that has a lid, add water and salt and bring to the boil, as it comes to the boil put the lid on and reduce to a slow simmer for 20 minutes, after 20 minutes remove from heat and place on a damp dish cloth for 5 minutes, DO NOT LIFT THE LID until this time is over.

NEVER failed me yet and I've been doing this for years

95 Indian Ridge - 98 Hamiltons Reserve - 00 Omni Rosen - 07 West Stonebridge - 09 Lake Wilson - 11/13/14 Town Centre - 16/18/20 Windwood - 22 Highland - 24 Calabria - 26 Highland
sophiepop is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Picalily
Imagineer

Picalily's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Hi, I buy easycook rice from Aldi. Use one cup of rice per person and rinse the rice in a sieve to get rid of the starch. For each cup of rice add 1 and a half cups of water to a lidded saucepan then bring to the boil and simmer gently till the water is absorbed, comes out as separate grains every time. OR use the same method but when the rice has started to boil turn off the heat and the rice will absorb the water, takes a bit longer but not much. Lovely rice, good luck!
Picalily is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jun 20, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
IlDivoette
Imagineer

IlDivoette's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile

I only buy Tilda Easy Cook Long Grain Rice in the red bag, it's no fail,.easy, just put in boiling water for 12 or so minutes and it's always perfect.

Highlands Reserve-03/West Haven-04/Calabay Park-06/Aviana-07/Legacy Park-08/Watersong & HRH-10
Marco Island 12/SSR 12/Lake Berkley12 / PBH 2015 / SSR 2015 / Solterra 2015 / YC 2018
IlDivoette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i work on a third to half of a cup of rice per person if its to go with a meal (rather than the actual meal like vegetable fried rice)

i always use 1.5x water (or coconut milk) to 1x rice. (unless its a different type of rice and the instructions say otherwise. but even then, i start with 1.5x and once thats all absorbed, i add a bit more)

so for 2/3rds of a cup of rice, use 1 cup of water
for 1 cup of rice, use 1.5 cups of water.

i generally dissolve a stock cube in the water (boiled - from the kettle) before pouring over the rice, turmeric adds a nice colour to the rice too so chuck a teaspoon of that in too and a good pinch of salt.

i never do it on the hob anymore. too many messed up attempts back in the day. now i either use my little rice cooker, or stick it in a large glass measuring jug with a plate on top and microwave for 8 mins stirring halfway through

leave to stand (covered) for a minute or two after, then check the rice. if it is too hard and there's no water left, add a bit more (up to half a cup, but usually less than half of that) and microwave for another 2-3 mins

(mine is a 950W microwave, so if yours is less powerful, you may need a couple of minutes longer for all this)

at the end, if all the water is absorbed, and its the right texture for you, leave the cover off and and leave to stand for up to 5 mins to finish cooking. stir gently every minute or so to break any clumps up and let more steam out. serve immediately.

(unless you're doing fried rice, in which case, do it an hour or two in advance and leave to cool before frying)

Edited at 09:59 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 20, 07:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sassysar
Apprentice Imagineer

sassysar's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Easycook longrain white , boil a kettle half a jug of rice approx for 4 , double boiling water lid on simmer on number 1 on your hob until all the water has just gone
Perfect every time !
sassysar is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List