Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 11 May 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

which cruise would you choose?!

Hi all

This might be a pointless question, as at this stage I have absolutely no clue as to the prices for either! But...

Ive spent the afternoon looking at the Fall/winter itineraries for DCL, and I'm quite excited about two of them.

The Magic is doing a five night out of New York to Bermuda (inc two days there) over October half term & the Dream is doing a four night Castaway Cay double dip over New Years Eve!

We've been on the Magic and the Wonder quite a few times, but have never been on the larger boats.
So the idea of travelling on the Dream is very appealing.

However, we were fortunate enough to get the last cabana on Castaway Cay last October with our Gold member status, and we really would want to get one again, especially on a double dipper,but I understand that on the larger ships that these are all often grabbed by the concierge rooms?

The cabana was amazing last trip, so we would probably want to spring for a concierge room just to snag one of those - but I'm wondering how worthwhile a concierge room is aside from this? - especially on a short four night cruise, when we've never sailed on the ship before? Would we really have time to enjoy the benefits and explore the ship? (Eg We love the idea of having the meal brought to our stateroom, but realistically we would only be able to do that once as we would want to experience all three dining rooms).

Finally a weather related question for anyone who has been to Bermuda in October or Castaway Cay over New Years. Did you find it warm enough to sunbathe? - my favourite pastime!

We sailed DCL out of New York last October down to WDW, and we found the two days getting there and two days back again really cold, and I found that too much for me - It made me realise what a fair weather cruiser I am! - but I'm hoping the one day to Bermuda might not be so bad?! But is that wishful thinking?

This would be a 'sneaky' extra trip so we would only have 8 days for either trip -
I think I'm torn as I am desperate to return to NYC, and the Bermuda itinerary fits perfectly in to that plan, and allows for three nights in NYC, but the boys are all much more keen on returning to Castaway Cay - but due to work commitments/ getting back for school, we would literally only manage two nights pre-cruise at Bay Lake Tower (to see the NYE preview fireworks on 30/12!) and then a night afterwards at universal (possibly one park day and one volcano bay day) before flying home - so that seems a more rushed trip somehow than the NYC option to me? What do you think?
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 May 17, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bats
Disney Cruise Line VIP!

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 13
I will guess that the Bermuda cruise will be really expensive as it's a new port. Not that the Dream one will be cheap as it's NYE and a DD!
Your chances of snagging a cabana are bigger as it's a DD for CC. Concierge is great though, we've done it on 2 of the ships and it's just lovely. I'd do it every time if I could afford it.

If money were no object, I'd do the Dream as you haven't sailed on that one, it's a special time of year and it's a DD which don't happen often.

But, I think you've already made your mind up and want to choose the Bermuda one, so go for it!
Old 13 May 17, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Bats View Post
I will guess that the Bermuda cruise will be really expensive as it's a new port. Not that the Dream one will be cheap as it's NYE and a DD!
Your chances of snagging a cabana are bigger as it's a DD for CC. Concierge is great though, we've done it on 2 of the ships and it's just lovely. I'd do it every time if I could afford it.

If money were no object, I'd do the Dream as you haven't sailed on that one, it's a special time of year and it's a DD which don't happen often.

But, I think you've already made your mind up and want to choose the Bermuda one, so go for it!
thank you for replying You're right - I have a feeling the Bermuda will be high being a new port - I guess I'm hoping the fact that I love 'my' inside sideways staterooms (so cheaper room) and that its only a 5 nighter, that it won't make my eyes water.

I did wonder whether the 'double dip' would make it easier to get a cabana - but then also wondered whether, as the Castaway Cay portion is inevitably going to be the huge draw for most people, I was wondering whether others might also want to make that part 'extra special'? - and are people more likely to see a NYE cruise as a special occasion and use it as an excuse to splurge? I just don't know!

Did you do concierge on longer itineraries? My only concern is that we won't be on there long enough to really take full advantage of it? Especially as we haven't tried the bigger ships before so will want to explore a lot! Its a shame that concierge isn't so special on the Classic ships ( I like the idea of the private deck especially!) - as we've done those so many times, that we would really take advantage of things like the in-room dining on those I think!

You are right - I am swayed towards the Bermuda one - but only because I like the idea of visiting somewhere new and I am also desperate to return to NYC. We had been planning to give Orlando a miss for a couple of years, but Steve and the boys do really fancy the bigger ship and the double dip - although I'm now thinking I might be able to still twin it with NYC and just not go to WDW - although the thought of flying in to Orlando and NOT going to Disney makes me feel a little queasy! lol!

Edited at 02:40 PM.
amy56 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
disneymadhouse
Imagineer

disneymadhouse's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

We were on the Dream over Christmas in 2015. 27th Dec was our CC day and the weather was perfect! Lovely blue skies and it was really hot! No one was complaining about the sea temps... my DD must have spent about 5 hours in it!
We are planning on dream again but this time it will be just before Christmas on 17th Dec 4 night... that way we get the best of both worlds... a Christmassy cruise and actual Christmas at wdw

1994 Lindfields Villa 1999 Polynesian/Disney Magic 2002 All Star Sports 2007 Best Western Lakeside 2012 OKW 2014 Disney Magic 2015 OKW/Disney Dream/AoA 2016 Disney Magic 2017 OKW 2018 Disney Dream / OKW / All Star Movies 2019 CBR
DVC Owner at OKW
disneymadhouse is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 17, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
amy56
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by disneymadhouse View Post
We were on the Dream over Christmas in 2015. 27th Dec was our CC day and the weather was perfect! Lovely blue skies and it was really hot! No one was complaining about the sea temps... my DD must have spent about 5 hours in it!
We are planning on dream again but this time it will be just before Christmas on 17th Dec 4 night... that way we get the best of both worlds... a Christmassy cruise and actual Christmas at wdw
Sounds idyllic! We love Castaway Cay - and I'd love to go on the Dream! - I just am so torn as I feel like I need to see some more of the world, but I just love WDW and the places we've been so much, that I keep getting drawn back in to repeat holidays!
Old 13 May 17, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

We loved the Dream - I mean, we loved Magic too, but we loved the Dream a tiny bit more

But I know I would not be prepared to pay the NYE price - they are eye watering