Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 20 Apr 17, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by jellie View Post
Hi, we didn't have a favourite restaurant, there were lots of nice tapas bar around but we were a bit disappointed with the food in the restaurants we went to. We did Find a place which did lovely fresh salads and sandwiches close to the port called bo de b. Only very small with a few tables inside and people were queuing outside for the food. Tracey
Thanks! I will have to write that one down; there is no way on earth I will be remembering "bo de b". It's usually a good sign when people are queuing - things are at least likely to be fresh, right?

Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
We stayed for a couple of nights at the Hilton Diagonal Mar, it was convenient for the Metro (very easy to use) and a lovely hotel. DCL transport collected us from the airport and for the cruise. Our best meal was at a tiny restaurant off Las Ramblas - a huge seafood paella and wine!

Ah, the Hilton Diagonal Mar stood out for me on Expedia - it does look nice. Good to hear that DCL will collect you from there, too.

If I can ask you another question - how did you add on the airport collection? I booked our cruise with a (US) TA - did you book directly with Disney?

Ah, paella - I probably should have said ( ) - DS has a serious shellfish allergy. And I can't eat fish!

Thanks for all the advice - I appreciate it.

EDIT: I've just noticed your trippies - off to have a look at your Magic photos...

Edited at 08:36 PM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by mrsdjh View Post
We took our daughters to Barcelona last August for a short break - no cruise I'm afraid but there were people at our hotel going on a Disney cruise. We stayed at the Tryp Apolo hotel. Very nice breakfast!

We got a taxi to the hotel from the airport. We never felt unsafe there. We used the metro and HOHO bus. We didn't go on the Ramblas - I think that's where people always go on about pickpocket. The hotel is a short walk down to the seafront.
We stayed in this hotel before a cruise a few years ago. No complaints at all. Very short taxi ride to the port and very close to Montjuc and the Olympic Park. My girls loved Barcelona. DH was only with us for the weekend. My mum and I flew out with the girls ahead of him and stayed longer for the cruise.

All the tales of pickpockets made us a bit nervous (plus my Spanish is nonexistent) but we had no problems at all. It turned out to be one of our best trips anywhere. I think you just need to be sensible and careful with your bag.
Old 21 Apr 17, 07:58 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

We commute in London every day so are used to being wary of pickpockets!

Wouldn't it be funny if we met you just as we were leaving the ship and you were boarding?! Don't even know if that is possible!
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Apr 17, 08:21 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
We stayed in this hotel before a cruise a few years ago. No complaints at all. Very short taxi ride to the port and very close to Montjuc and the Olympic Park. My girls loved Barcelona. DH was only with us for the weekend. My mum and I flew out with the girls ahead of him and stayed longer for the cruise.

All the tales of pickpockets made us a bit nervous (plus my Spanish is nonexistent) but we had no problems at all. It turned out to be one of our best trips anywhere. I think you just need to be sensible and careful with your bag.

Thanks so much for all the reassurance - this will be the first time in a non-English speaking country for just me and DS - and I think that is what is making me feel twitchy.

I am VERY excited to see all the Olympic leftovers - I still think that the images of the divers at Barcelona are possibly my favourite ever "Olympic eye-candy" (loved the fire archer, too).

So kind of you to check in and help -

Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
We commute in London every day so are used to being wary of pickpockets!

Wouldn't it be funny if we met you just as we were leaving the ship and you were boarding?! Don't even know if that is possible!
That would be great!

It's funny, I never really think about pickpockets here (I just do all the normal "city" things in London (cross-body bags, etc...)). But EVERY single person that I've talked to about Barcelona has made the teeth-sucking noise and said, "Ooh - gotta watch out there."

I always wear a money-belt (rather than a handbag) in Rome - and I guess I'll just do that, if the hotel doesn't have a safe.

It's funny - R.C.'s godson commuted in London for years - and then he married an Australian lass and moved to Perth. On his FIRST visit back, he was pickpocketed while riding the underground. You lose that vigilance. But I'm sure you're right - I have the vigilance that comes from 40+ years of living in/near a big city. Must not fret.
Old 30 Apr 17, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
TinkTatoo
Imagineer

TinkTatoo's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 9
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've booked the Grupotel Gravina after it got some good reviews on our Facebook planning group. It seems to be in a fairly central location and I was able to get a quad room for the 4 of us. We're there for 2 nights before the cruise and two nights afterwards.

Originally Posted by GopherLass View Post
... If I can ask you another question - how did you add on the airport collection? I booked our cruise with a (US) TA - did you book directly with Disney?...
Your TA should be able to add this for you but check the costs, it might be cheaper to arrange your own transport. Because we get off the ship so early on disembarkation day, we're booking a tour BH09H which is a half day tour to Montserrat that will drop us back to a central location in Barcelona afterwards (close to our hotel) There's also the same tour (different reference number) that drops you back at the airport. You can only book these tours on board.

TinkTatoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Apr 17, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
pennycrayon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 15
Mobile

We have stayed the at the Hilton diagonal Mar twice before Disney cruises the last two years. Book booked independently and then I phoned Disney and added transfers. Great hotel and we liked having Disney cast members there to help out before the cruise (also got us really excited!). Transfers were similar to Florida and cases were taken at 8am from our room and then we didn't see them out they were outside our cabin (tip they arrived much earlier then our neighbours cases as they must have been the first ones on the ship).

The buses had a magical express video and the staff waved us off with Mickey hands. Only a 10 minute transfer as well
Old 30 Apr 17, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
We stayed at the Jazz hotel pre cruise last year and can highly recommend it. We also used suntransfers to get to the hotel from the airport and from the port back to the hotel. The first transfer went very smoothly but thr return our driver was running late so we had to call. They were helpful and Called our driver and let us know that he had been held up but was on his way but good job we had allowed plenty of time.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 May 17, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Sotong
slightly serious Dibber

Love Barcelona, see my signature for trip report including day / night before Disney cruise in Barcelona.
We stayed at the Eurostars on the marina with views of the ship in the morning!

Gillian
Sotong is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 May 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by TinkTatoo View Post
We've booked the Grupotel Gravina after it got some good reviews on our Facebook planning group. It seems to be in a fairly central location and I was able to get a quad room for the 4 of us. We're there for 2 nights before the cruise and two nights afterwards.

Your TA should be able to add this for you but check the costs, it might be cheaper to arrange your own transport. Because we get off the ship so early on disembarkation day, we're booking a tour BH09H which is a half day tour to Montserrat that will drop us back to a central location in Barcelona afterwards (close to our hotel) There's also the same tour (different reference number) that drops you back at the airport. You can only book these tours on board.

Ah - that's really interesting (about the tour) and good to know. Thanks.

I find it really challenging to find good "family hotels" (triples and quads) on the Continent. And when you DO find them they're SO expensive.

Thanks again for checking back - it's a whole new list of planning issues (compared to Florida) - isn't it?

Originally Posted by pennycrayon View Post
We have stayed the at the Hilton diagonal Mar twice before Disney cruises the last two years. Book booked independently and then I phoned Disney and added transfers. Great hotel and we liked having Disney cast members there to help out before the cruise (also got us really excited!). Transfers were similar to Florida and cases were taken at 8am from our room and then we didn't see them out they were outside our cabin (tip they arrived much earlier then our neighbours cases as they must have been the first ones on the ship).

The buses had a magical express video and the staff waved us off with Mickey hands. Only a 10 minute transfer as well
Oh - I didn't know you could book independently and then add on the transfers. I will DEFINTELY check that out. Thanks!

Originally Posted by danisleigh View Post
We stayed at the Jazz hotel pre cruise last year and can highly recommend it. We also used suntransfers to get to the hotel from the airport and from the port back to the hotel. The first transfer went very smoothly but thr return our driver was running late so we had to call. They were helpful and Called our driver and let us know that he had been held up but was on his way but good job we had allowed plenty of time.
Good to hear another positive report of Suntransfers. I'm with 3, so my phone will work (& with no extra cost) in Spain. Must practice "I can't see the taxi yet" in Catalan, though.

Thanks for the review!

Originally Posted by Sotong View Post
Love Barcelona, see my signature for trip report including day / night before Disney cruise in Barcelona.
We stayed at the Eurostars on the marina with views of the ship in the morning!

Gillian
That I will do, Gillian. Thank you for that!
Old 6 May 17, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Adventureinthe
A Guest at All-Stars

I'm also doing a Med Disney cruise this year. We've got very late flights into Barcelona, so I think Sun Transfers might be a good idea to make sure there will be a taxi around for us. Slightly less risky that turning up at the taxi rank - I hope! Thanks for the reviews.

We're staying at the Hostal Q. I'm told that a Hostal is very different to a hostel. Not that it would be much of an issue - we'll be living in Disney luxury for the following week!
Adventureinthe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List