Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 7 Sep 18, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Chief planners... how do you

Hi

Travellers .

Myself
My daughter 36
My grandson. 4

I’m the “experienced” disney person in the group. My daughter has had a tough year, partner left being the main one, more personal stuff.

She’s very much looking forward to the holidays as I am, however she’s told me to just do all the planning as for her not having to make any decisions is as much a holiday than the actual holiday.

My dilema is... whilst I’m up for making the decisions I’m concerned that she’s not engaged.

So to my question, how do you get the rest of your party engaged or do you not worry. I’m traveling to UK on Monday so I was considering printing off various menus etc just to get her involved in the ADRs and spend an evening with a glass or two ans review everything.
Any tips would be appreciated
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DDD
Apprentice Imagineer

DDD's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 7
We watch vlogs together and talk about it in general but I deal with the detail. They don’t care about what restaurant at what time and which park when until we’re there.

They love it and we get excited about it but for them it’s not their thing.

It sounds like maybe after a tough year your daughter might just need the excitement but not the detail... her head might be full.

I’d just plan it for her, ask if she wants to see the detail but if not don’t worry. (As long as she’s not the sort to koan when you’re there about what you’ve planned!)

Hope you have a great time x
DDD is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Fancealot
Getting Excited

Yes it's all about the VLOGS, watch disney food blog for restaurant ideas and the tim tracker for general park things to do, if they pique an interest in anything, wrap that into the plan.
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:04 PM  
Link to this Post
mason1
Imagineer

mason1's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
My DH can’t plan in advance. However the kids have taken after me and love the planning . With DH we find watching vlogs (particularly Tim Tracker) about 3 weeks before we go gets him interested - but by then me and the kids have already planned it and just tell him what we’re doing. Some people just aren’t planners. You know your daughter best - it may be that she just needs you to take control on this one.
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:09 PM  
Link to this Post
annedawso
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

My lot aren't interested until they get there so I do all the planning. Plus nothing is set in stone, quite often we changed dining reservations the night before and swapped mornings at the park for evenings. Easy enough to change if required, though obviously not for headliner FP.
I can understand your daughter not wanting the added hassle of having to plan a holiday.
She may just see it as that far off she can't be bothered to
think about it and willl engage when she gets there. I wouldn't try to force the issue, you could mention what you are thinking of and will know from her reaction if she can be bothered or not. I would take my planned spreadsheet with me and ask her if she wants to see what you are planning.
I find it frustrating at times that I am the only one interested, though quite like to be the chief planner.
Have a fab time.

LBV Resort and Spa- 2009
Emerald Island Villa -2013
OKW -2014 YC -2015
Tenerife and cruise in Med 2016
Easter 2017. BCV 7 nights, 6 nights GFV. 3 Portofino Bay
August 2017. YC 14 nights. 4 days Portofino Bay
August 18 -5 nights NY, 11 nights PORFQ
August 2019 10 nights AKL 6 nights Universal
AUG 2020 CSR 15 nights?
annedawso is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

Mobile

I can’t get mine engaged. I chatter on and talk about all my plans and what we’ll be doing and they just occasionally nod along or ask a question or 2. But generally they just let me get on with it and see what happens when we get there 🙄

Port Orleans Riverside ~ Oct 2012
Hard Rock Hotel (no Disney!) ~ Aug 2016
New York, Sheraton NY Times Square ~ Feb 2017
Santorini, Dana Villas ~ Aug 2017
Yacht Club ~ Sept 2018
Caribbean Cruise, P&O ~ Mar 2019
Caribbean Beach Resort ~ May 2022 & May 2023
Drury Plaza (first adults only trip!) ~ Aug 2024

Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:38 PM  
Link to this Post
chippyminton
slightly serious Dibber

Mine aren’t interested in planning, which suits me 😀
I like to have a plan for FP and ADRs so at least we have something in place, but also happy to change stuff as we go. I can be found cancelling and booking restaurants and FPs at 11.30pm to suit our whims for the next day.
My advice would be to plan the must do experiences for early in the trip so you have time to reschedule for whatever reason.
chippyminton is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 05:39 PM  
Link to this Post
BirdsluvDisney
Apprentice Imagineer

I have always been the main planner, For our trip this year my Daughter, Son in Law, Hubbie and 2 grandchildren were the party for our travels.
My Daughter had, Had a tough year with one thing or another, They all said could I just please sort it.

I set up a whatsApp group named it Family Disney. Then I use to message with count downs, Things I had planned, At first I just use to get the thumbs up. Then nearer to the time of travel everyone started to get excited and started to watch Vloggs, Started to look at restaurants, Disney rides and got really interested. But until that moment happened I just use to whatapp them and tell them what I had sorted.

I do think my Daughter was happy that I had took the pressure of her, I even organised all my Grandson special assistance. She was just able to enjoy the holiday and get excited on the build up when it was nearly all sorted.
Old 7 Sep 18, 07:04 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Thanks, put my mind at rest I will continue the planning etc and see how we go
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 7 Sep 18, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
redspottyowl
Imagineer

redspottyowl's Reviews
My husband is not interested in the planning or the detail and it looking forward to the holiday but not on the same scale as me... today he messaged to say “seven weeks until we fly to Disney” it made my day! He does listen and he is excited lol

These things are fun..and fun is good NYC/Orlando May/June 15 Pretrippy
Adults are only kids grown up pretrippy Oct/Nov 2013
A Bargain Hunters Pre-trip report Nov 2011
NOV 2011 - Villa offsite 'bargain hunters'
OCT/NOV 2013 - OLD KEY WEST Disney trip - DDP
OCT/NOV 2018 - Disney pixie dust Yacht Club stay
AUG 2022 - Cabana Bay -teen choice
redspottyowl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List