Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 21 Feb 20, 11:50 PM  
Link to this Post
scl
Apprentice Imagineer

So being one of the chancers that lives in the rainy magaluf of Cornwall, I honestly dont think you can be disappointed where ever you decided to stay in Kernow as its such a beautiful part of the country

As for stop offs, not sure where you are traveling from and how long you want to stop for but when we travel up to visit the family in Manchester we always tend to stop at Cribbs Cause way its about the half way mark. Lots of places to eat or if you like you can pop to the shopping centre.

Last major services before you come off for the A30 is Exeter. Not sure if you have been to Cornwall before I always cheer when we hit the A30 then remember its still about 1.30 hours to get home
scl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scl View Post
So being one of the chancers that lives in the rainy magaluf of Cornwall, I honestly dont think you can be disappointed where ever you decided to stay in Kernow as its such a beautiful part of the country

As for stop offs, not sure where you are traveling from and how long you want to stop for but when we travel up to visit the family in Manchester we always tend to stop at Cribbs Cause way its about the half way mark. Lots of places to eat or if you like you can pop to the shopping centre.

Last major services before you come off for the A30 is Exeter. Not sure if you have been to Cornwall before I always cheer when we hit the A30 then remember its still about 1.30 hours to get home
Apologies, SD.

I am not insinuating that every visitor from the two NW cities is a chancer. My very closest friend is a Scouser who lives in Cornwall after retiring from the RN and marrying a local girl. Oh how we tease each other.

The Social, alcohol and drug problems of Newquay (Penzance and the Bay Area in Devon) are very well documented. I had the misfortune to spend a large part of my Police Career dealing with and Policing Newquay at various times as we were drafted in to provide extra bodies. Many have moved permanently from the NW Cities and bought their problems with them. When asked why, the stock reply was too escape my problems at home’.

Once again, apologies if offence was caused.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
deeley
Imagineer

Originally Posted by christybell View Post
Thank you, keen to hear some suggestions of where to stop off as its a longgggggg drive
We drive from midlands and usually stop at I think about j11 or 12 for Gloucester for the amazing farm shop and dog walk at the services. No services like that one!

There’s also one nearer Bristol I’ve stopped at with children where it has a lovely playground.
We never stop at a certain one at Exeter because it’s a nightmare to get out of, and it’s like a concrete town in there. We prefer a stop where there’s some greenery!

I’ll see if I can find my list, I’m sure it’s saved on my phone!

Taunton Deane on the way home is nice, has picnic benches and a dog walk too.

Edited at 09:54 AM.
deeley is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
christybell
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
I don’t know exactly where you live, but have you considered flying in to either Exeter or Newquay and picking up a hire car?
We're in central Scotland and have looked at flying, but by the time we factor time/cost we decided to make it a road trip and have the freedom of our own car. We will overnight on the way down and back to break the journey

July 2009 ASM/TI/Hmew'd Suites
August 2010 OKW/Dibb villa
July2011 OKW/RPR/Cocoa Beach/Dibb Villa
July 2012 RPR/Carnival Destiny/Dibb Villa
July 2013 OKW/Anna Maria Island/Dibb Villa
Nov 2013 Sunset Lakes- my 40th Birthday
April 2014 Cruise and Villa
April 2015 Clearwater/RPR/Dibb Villa
Dec 2015 Dibb Villa to see the Xmas lights
July 2016 RPR/Cruise/Dibb villa
christybell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Feb 20, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
ali-s
VIP Dibber

Thank you, keen to hear some suggestions of where to stop off as its a longgggggg drive
Have a look at theextramile.guide website, you put in your route and what sort of stop you want and it suggests alternatives to the motorway services. There is a book with the same name, but we just use the website
Mexico 2010, Easter in Mexico Trip Index
ESD Pointe Orlando, Palm Pavilion Clearwater, RPR August 2012
Costa Rica July 2015 Pura Vida! trip report
South Africa 2017 trip report
ali-s is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
scl
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Apologies, SD.

I am not insinuating that every visitor from the two NW cities is a chancer. My very closest friend is a Scouser who lives in Cornwall after retiring from the RN and marrying a local girl. Oh how we tease each other.

The Social, alcohol and drug problems of Newquay (Penzance and the Bay Area in Devon) are very well documented. I had the misfortune to spend a large part of my Police Career dealing with and Policing Newquay at various times as we were drafted in to provide extra bodies. Many have moved permanently from the NW Cities and bought their problems with them. When asked why, the stock reply was too escape my problems at home’.

Once again, apologies if offence was caused.

No offence caused whats so ever I thought it was hilarous (military background so got to have a bit of banter back sorry) . I know it has a reputation with the locals it has its ups and downs however everything is relative and I feel much safer here than half the areas around where I from.
scl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 09:30 AM  
Link to this Post
scl
Apprentice Imagineer

We're in central Scotland and have looked at flying, but by the time we factor time/cost we decided to make it a road trip and have the freedom of our own car. We will overnight on the way down and back to break the journey
Wow thats a hell of a drive we are going to Scotland in August and are planning to stop off at the parents before carrying on.

Somerset is lovely if you want to stop off and do something the the Cheddar Gorge is beautiful.
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by scl View Post
Wow thats a hell of a drive we are going to Scotland in August and are planning to stop off at the parents before carrying on.

Somerset is lovely if you want to stop off and do something the the Cheddar Gorge is beautiful.
Be aware also that the roads in to Cornwall clog up badly, Westbound on a Friday and Eastbound on a Sunday in the summer months.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Feb 20, 11:44 AM  
Link to this Post
tonymc
Imagineer

tonymc's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 19
We stayed in Fowey last September for a 4 night (Mon-Fri) break, which we really enjoyed despite the mixed weather. We rented a house about a 3/4 mile from the centre, the only downside being the extremely steep hill back out of town to our accommodation!

Plenty to do in the area. One of DWs former colleagues now works in the area, and she suggested visiting Charlestown - we revisited for an evening meal on another day. We also reached Mevagissey on the same day.

Another day, we went across to the north coast and fleetingly called in at Newquay, then onto Padstow for lunch, and ended up at Port Isaac of Doc Martin Fame.

We also visited the Eden Project on the day it had forecast torrential rain - if you collect Tesco Rewards, you can use them for admission saving a fair bit of money!

With regard to the journey down, we travelled from Wigan and stayed on the Sunday night in Bath, a handy half way point for us. However, having made the journey from Wigan to Glasgow for 4 years, I would suggest maybe trying to get south of Birmingham (Solihull/ Bromsgrove areas) for a stop. There are plenty of Travelodge and Premier Inns (and the occasional Innkeepers Lodge) that can be found for a reasonable price. Again, Tesco Clubcard Rewards can get you hotel vouchers for hotels.com to reduce the cost.
2024 The Retirement Roadshow – Part 2:Alaska, 2023 4th Time lucky - Aus & NZ, 2022 Cruising and Tuscany, 2020 A second unexpected staycation - Budapest to West Wales!, 2019 It’s Disney... but not as we know it!,2017 CA Possibly, Maybe, Definitely..,2016 Economy and a Studio Just Isn't Good Enough!
tonymc is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List