Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 19 Jun 20, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Tretinker
Very Serious Dibber

If we go this year I think it will be our last year onsite sadly. The reduction to the perks are rapidly decreasing and many I imagine will be here to stay and so disney onsite stay becomes much less attractive.
We will use previous magic bands if they still work and perhaps purchase one new one each year for long range vids and ride pictures.
1st Trip - Sept/Oct 1997 *2nd Trip - Nov/Dec 2000, *3rd Trip - Oct/Nov 2005 *4th Trip - Mar/Apr 2016 5th Trip - Easter 2017 the year of the chicken pox *6th Trip - Aug 2019 a first time for summer *7th Trip - Aug 2020 And then there were 4 *1st DLP Trip December 2020

Edited at 11:31 PM.
Tretinker is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 10:48 PM  
Link to this Post
The Fatadder
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

We were planning to get special ones for the girls and my wife anyway so I suppose its not the end of the world, but it is disappointing to see Disney further cutting away at the on site experience. I do wonder if next year will be our last visit staying on site.

As for the magic bands, we will still end up ordering the special ones for the girls, and I guess I will have to get one for myself now as well as even if I could find it I would guess my 2017 band will be dead by August next year
The Fatadder is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 11:00 PM  
Link to this Post
dippiedawnie
Imagineer

What happens if you don't buy one? It's basically your room key and ticket as you don't have to use it for charges so can they force you to have one? You are then basically paying for a room key and theme park ticket they can scan!

WDW too many times to count
DL 1999
Paris 1996
dippiedawnie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 11:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by dippiedawnie View Post
What happens if you don't buy one? It's basically your room key and ticket as you don't have to use it for charges so can they force you to have one? You are then basically paying for a room key and theme park ticket they can scan!
There's an app on the phone, has been for some time. You get a plastic ticket like pre magic band days. It does say this in the article.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 11:23 PM  
Link to this Post
gavvy
Imagineer

You can always ask for a key to the world card at check-in, they are RIFD enabled too,

No way am I paying for something that I use to err... pay for something else
Old 19 Jun 20, 11:35 PM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I like how they used the language ‘retired’ free Magic Bands.
It’s a bit like when they kick out a CEO- he’s always ‘retired’. Sounds better.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jun 20, 11:52 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

According to my MDE I have 10 inactive cards and magic and in an assortment of colours.

I may dig them out and reactivate them.

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 12:03 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lam View Post
According to my MDE I have 10 inactive cards and magic and in an assortment of colours.

I may dig them out and reactivate them.
They’ll work for paying and opening doors and scanning at rides etc.

One good thing- there was a ton of waste with these, with people constantly getting new ones. At least this will cut that down.
Old 20 Jun 20, 12:19 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
They’ll work for paying and opening doors and scanning at rides etc.

One good thing- there was a ton of waste with these, with people constantly getting new ones. At least this will cut that down.
What about first timers. Not everyone goes more than once. Then you have the people who throw away their magic bands when they get home. Then there are children who may not have phones. Also adults who don't have smart phones.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Jun 20, 01:00 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Donaldfan View Post
What about first timers. Not everyone goes more than once. Then you have the people who throw away their magic bands when they get home. Then there are children who may not have phones. Also adults who don't have smart phones.
I agree.