Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Jan 21, 08:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Your views appreciated

Relative is disabled and in sheltered accommodation, own flat in a block of 10 for elderly and/or people with varying special needs, they have 24/7 one to one care.

Since the start of lockdown 1, sheilding, no visitors, even other residents from the other flats. Only carers going in. Family facetimes at least morning and night.

Today found out that maintenance had sent in a painter yesterday and today to paint the whole flat.
With the resident and carer in the flat.

What would your reaction be?

I'm not saying too much else but I would appreciate your views.
Old 21 Jan 21, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

Absolutely should not be happening the months one of my DILs has spent shielding with clients I hate for it to go to waste now when both her and the client are getting their first does of the vaccine next week
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 08:45 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

Mobile

I think it depends on so many things : trades are allowed in legally so this may be a moral issue rather than legal; who has the power of attorney (or court of protection if there is one ) to make decisions; what is the protocol for maintenance generally - are family generally consulted; have extra health checks been made on the maintenance people : are they wearing ppe. I think what I’m saying is, you may have a right to be cross about this but whether it should have happened requires many matters to be factored in.
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkbelle
Imagineer

Ask questions, I learnt that the hard way during the first lockdown. I don’t want to post specifics on a public forum, as what occurred has resulted in a change of 80% of staff.

My sister is disabled and lives in supported living, in a shared house. I learnt that some people, who you may trust make decisions that best suit them, rather than those they support.
That is a very general assumption, but some staff I thought I knew well for 15 years.

If family are not allowed to visit, I would be very unhappy to hear that a painter was in doing routine maintenance. That to me would be unacceptable.

I would want to speak to who arranged it and see the risk assessment for that visit. I feel you need to be the voice for your relative.
pinkbelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:01 PM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

Not essential - completely unacceptable !
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I can’t see how that would be classed as essential work for a tradesperson to be in their home to simply redecorate it. Issues with heating, plumbing, electrical work or other obvious issues such as faulty locks, broken windows, leaking roofs etc could be classed as essential.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

There is no requirement for tradesmen's work to be essential this time around unfortunately. Should be but there isn't.

I wouldn't have anyone in, but if they don't own the flat then they may have little say unfortunately.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Reaction would be get yourself to f , shielding means exactly that Shielding, What part of that dont you get.

Edited at 09:31 PM.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
There is no requirement for tradesmen's work to be essential this time around unfortunately. Should be but there isn't.

I wouldn't have anyone in, but if they don't own the flat then they may have little say unfortunately.
You are right that tradesmen can decorate (fit new kitchens and bathrooms etc) but under the circumstances it should only be essential work done in the case where someone is elderly/vulnerable and is shielding (and is clearly high risk).
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 21, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Mobile

I agree, it should only be essential for all, not just the shielding / elderly unless the property is unoccupied.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List