Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 21, 11:31 PM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Donating Blood Platelets WARNING - NEEDLE

Olga (DSis olgaandcoda) suggested I post this, to maybe encourage people to think about donating whole blood or platelets.

I received this on Fri, marking the 100th unit of platelets I’ve donated. One unit is used to treat one adult or up to 3 young children.

NHS Blood Services always need new donors. blood/

Pics 2 & 3 show my arm mid-donation ( 😱😂 ) same as for blood donors, and the resultant platelets (approx 900 ml, 3 units). The “extraction” took 86 mins.

Edited at 11:35 PM.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Well done you! My dad got to 100 pints for blood. It takes consistency to achieve this level. The lives you have benefitted. Thank you
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Well done you. My blood is not good enough to donate but my kids do (and Dave did until he became unsuitable),proud that my grandson is now leading the next generation.
My son in law donates platelets I believe, he has an abundance of them.
EssexSue is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

123's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Ok so I'll take the "stupid question" straw...

What is the difference between platelets and just a blood donation, and is the "extraction" any different?

Well done on reaching the 💯 by the way
123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:13 AM  
Link to this Post
RachaelC
VIP Dibber

Well done, that’s a fantastic achievement!

I would love to donate blood, but as I received a transfusion as a baby I’m not allowed 😢
RachaelC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 12:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Gull
Imagineer

Well done ! I used to give blood many years ago, portable unit came to our office block. The last twice, my blood took too long to come out so was no use ☹️ I’ve never been back to see if it flows better now.
Gull is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:49 AM  
Link to this Post
HevaDuck
Apprentice Imagineer

Amazing well done
HevaDuck is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 02:24 AM  
Link to this Post
Helen J
Imagineer

Well done, that's a pretty amazing achievement.
Old 25 Jan 21, 06:24 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Well done! I wanted to donate platelets and they did ask me once when I donated as they needed my blood group but when they assessed my veins I only have one decent one which they said wouldn’t be good enough 😫
I still give blood though and am going again next Monday and my blood is suitable for neonatal babies too so I try and go as often as I am allowed.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 07:54 AM  
Link to this Post
Cinderellas
Very Serious Dibber

Brilliant! Thanks for posting. My DH has had many platelet transfusions which saved his life. I don’t know what we would have done without kind people like you.
Cinderellas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List