Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 26 Jan 21, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Recipes to increase calories

I am hoping that you may share any recipes or ideas you have for increasing the amount of calories in my daughter's diet.

She is sixteen and has lost a stone in weight which she can ill afford to lose. She does not have an eating disorder, thank God, but is struggling to retain weight although she is eating regular meals and snacks. She has ADHD and her doctor at CAHMS is as concerned as we are. We have contacted our GP to have blood tests taken as we do not think it is her medication.

She hates crisps, hard sweets, jam, peanut butter, breakfast cereal and tuna but loves pasta, chocolate, milkshakes, chicken, tomato soup and wraps.

Any suggestion will be most gratefully received.

Thank you.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

I have always been slim and struggled to gain weight. I then developed a taste for pasta salads for lunch, mainly mayonaise or pesto ones, I put on a stone in a couple of months. Also look rather at foods with higher fat content than calories, mars bars are excellent - sweets no so as they are fat free.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 06:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Talland 2016
Imagineer

Maybe use whole ( blue top) milk in milkshakes , teas and coffees, full fat yoghurt and cheese, butter instead of margarine
Talland 2016 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Emmie2016
Imagineer

Switch everything to full fat. If she likes milkshakes then that's an easy increase in calories. Maybe try smoothies mixed with blue top milk, so she is getting some fruit in aswell.

Does she like things like avocados? Those are higher in calories and a healthier fat.

Gentle exercise to increase natural hunger. Eating little and often, so she doesn't feel overwhelmed by portions.
Old 26 Jan 21, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Gryff
Imagineer

As said use full fat milk but also add some full fat milk powder you can get it on line
To soup mikshakes pasta sauces mashed potatoes etc it's more about fortifying her diet than addingmore b
Gryff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 07:26 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Full fat dairy, add a scoop of protein powder to smoothies, use butter, avocados and maybe more snacks?
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Jan 21, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridatilly
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter lost a huge amount of weight before we discovered she was type 1 diabetic. She was constantly thirsty and hungry.
We also have thyroid problems in our family and my cousin started to loose weight when she was about 18, turn out she had an over active thyroid, the only symptoms she had was weight loss and slight anxiety.
So i would definitely get tested for those.
Our daughters dietitian has always stressed to only buy full fat products. Low fat yogurt etc is just full of sugar. So stick to full fat, salmon is excellent, avacardo, seeds, nuts etc x.
Floridatilly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 04:16 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it.

We want to help her regain some weight but, as you advised, do not want to give her too much sugar - she does have a sweet tooth - and keep her teeth filling free.

She was delighted ar your suggestions, particularly the milkshakes and Mars bars, and loves the idea of pasta ever day as it is her favourite meal.

I never considered protein or milk powder so will order some today.

Our doctor has called today and is organising blood test so hopefully we will receive some answers in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your thoughtfulness. ❤
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jan 21, 04:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Mazbar
Imagineer

Mazbar's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 6
If she likes milk shake try her on 1 extra slim fast shake as well as her normal food this will help her.
Mazbar is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 21, 12:31 AM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Thank you.