Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 8 Aug 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Questions about indirect flights

I'm booked Bristol - Dublin then Dublin - MCO. Different airlines but one ticket booked with Aer Lingus
a few questions - do I need to be in the airport 4 hours prior like for a direct flight? Or because my first leg is only to Dublin could I be there later? ( I have no idea why you have to be there so early anyway can somebody tell me)
If I miss my connection (90 minutes allowed) due to my first flight being delayed who is responsible for e.g. hotel overnight? Is that the airline? Where can I look up my rights in this case? Hope it doesn't happen but I know it has to others
On the way back I have a 4 hour wait in Dublin (typical, I wouldn't mind being a day late back to work due to missed flights). Is there anything interesting to do in Dublin Airport?
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FlorayG View Post
I'm booked Bristol - Dublin then Dublin - MCO. Different airlines but one ticket booked with Aer Lingus
a few questions - do I need to be in the airport 4 hours prior like for a direct flight? Or because my first leg is only to Dublin could I be there later? ( I have no idea why you have to be there so early anyway can somebody tell me)
If I miss my connection (90 minutes allowed) due to my first flight being delayed who is responsible for e.g. hotel overnight? Is that the airline? Where can I look up my rights in this case? Hope it doesn't happen but I know it has to others
On the way back I have a 4 hour wait in Dublin (typical, I wouldn't mind being a day late back to work due to missed flights). Is there anything interesting to do in Dublin Airport?
Domestic flights 90 mins before, international 3 hours before is the general rule of thumb to avoid issues.

If you miss your connection you would speak to the Aer Lingus reps on arrival.

You could maybe book a lounge for the way back

What airline are you flying into Dublin with that's a different airline?
Old 8 Aug 19, 01:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

I'm guessing the airline concerned is Stobart Air, operating the BRS-DUB flight for Aer Lingus, which effectively makes it an Aer Lingus flight.

There is no such thing as a consistent official time you have to be at an airport before a flight. There are certain "hard" deadlines:

> When check-in / bag drop closes if you have checked bags. This may vary by airline/airport (though set by the airline for each airport, not by the airport), or between short haul / long haul flights. This deadline is usually 45-60 mins prior to scheduled departure time, but can vary either way outside of that.
> When the gate closes for the flight (anything from 10-30 mins before, depending on airline/route)
> and sometimes (though really only LHR T5 in the UK to my knowledge) a "conformance" deadline for entering security. Can't see that being the case at BRS, but I don't know the airport.

Outside of that, it's all about personal appetite for risk, allowing enough time to complete each stage, including any contingency for travel delays on the way to the airport. There may be queues at bag drop or security, it might be a big airport where it takes a long time to get to a gate (the latter is not the case at BRS, I suspect).

I can't think of any circumstance, except maybe flying out of Tel Aviv, or anywhere on El Al, when 4 hours would be recommended, though some people might prefer to arrive this early. In many situations, bag drop may not even be open at that stage.

In this situation, check the hard deadlines with the airline, but I would think arriving at BRS 2 hours before scheduled departure would be plenty, it's a short haul flight, so less people on the aircraft and less people checking bags.

I would agree for the less frequent traveller with checked bags, arriving at the airport 2 hours before for short haul and 3 hours for long haul (to allow more time in case of bag drop queues) is good general advice. It's the flight you're about to board that counts, so for BRS-DUB, treat it as a short haul flight for this purpose, regardless whether you have an onward long haul connection. Of course, the very risk-averse prefer to go earlier, which is fine, just not a requirement.

Regarding missed connection, on a single ticket in this case EU Regulation EC261/2004 would apply, Aer Lingus has a duty of care to provide you with accommodation and meals in the event of an overnight delay, plus possibly compensation depending on the reason for delay. The airline also has to get you to your destination in the fastest time reasonable, without additional cost to you.

In some situations (massive delays affecting many passengers), airlines may not be able to provide accommodation. In that event, you can book it yourself at reasonable cost and claim back from the airline.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Minniemagoo
Earning More Ears

(90 minutes allowed)
Is this your connection time, because 90 minutes would be the recommended minimum between flights. You will need to do pre clearance in Dublin so this seems tight.
Our family trips, May 2010,Oct 2017
Last trip 2005
Minniemagoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 01:31 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by clodagh View Post
(90 minutes allowed)
Is this your connection time, because 90 minutes would be the recommended minimum between flights. You will need to do pre clearance in Dublin so this seems tight.
Yeah I know I called them after they changed it and they told me that is plenty of time
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Aug 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
thatdavieguy
Imagineer

90 mins isn't the minimum, i'm flying Aer Lingus through Dublin to NY in November and we've got 1hr 15mins from landing to flight departing based on flight times and i'll be surprised if we get that.

Tight but AL say it's very much doable as their flights arrive close to the entry point for pre-clearance.
Old 8 Aug 19, 08:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Warkman58
Imagineer

When we fly to Dublin, I always choose a flight time with a big gap.
Last year I’m glad we did.
We flew LHR-DUB, but, because of a ground radar failure at Dublin airport,new we’re stuck in the Heathrow apron for three hours. TheDUB to MCO still took off at the normal time, and we would have missed it and as there is only 1 flight per day, would have lost seats and a day of the holiday.
Book 51st and green going out and the DAA lounge coming back
Villa Formosa Gardens, Flights BA/Aer Lingus
20th August 2016 to 3rd September 2016,
Warkman58 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 02:43 AM  
Link to this Post
jas72
VIP Dibber

I use Dublin a lot it's an easy enough airport to get around the only thing is these stobart flights land at T1 (they should officially land at T2 but rarely do.)

It's about a 15 min walk between terminals. Also they park off stand so you get a bus. One annoying thing is why the bus can't simply drive to T2

Also if you turn up early for the flight expect the checkin desk to only open 2 hours before departure so pointless turning up earlier.

Edited at 02:45 AM.
jas72 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Aug 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
I did choose a flight with a decent gap - then Aer Lingus moved it