Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 20, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We live in Shropshire in a 5 year old 4 bedroom detached bought from new £250,000. Moved from our 3 bedroom semi after a change of neighbours who I nicknamed the Love Bunnies 😜
The difference in price between the two was almost double what we'd originally paid for the three bedroom £53,000.
We have a mortgage which we try to overpay a bit but I think we will downsize at some point and help DS out. The new house has enough rooms for DS to have his own space if he decided to stay at home to save for a deposit into his thirties.
I bought my first house at 22, mortgage was £165 per month, similar to what I pay for my small car 😀
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nannad View Post
Wow, can’t believe it we lived in penymynydd for 15 years, we built a house on penymynydd road sold that the built a house on the well house farm overlooking the same field, and when my husband had a stroke moved to a bungalow on linthorpe road, probably been standing next to you in Aldi, what a small world x
Really is a small world
We live on the Well House estate now.
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Adora
Imagineer

Adora's Reviews
Mobile

Bought our house almost six years ago. It's a three storey, four double bedroom, new build townhouse. Very pretty one with lots of 'period' type features that you don't get in most new houses. Smallish garden but views for miles over the countrysude. Private road, big kitchen. Only one decent sized reception room, but three bathrooms including en suite.
Cost us 154k and is now worth 190k ish.
July 2009-AKL honeymoon
Oct 2007-DLP Newport Bay
Aug 2005-Eagle Pointe Villas
Sept 2004-DLP Disneyland Hotel and New York Hotel
Adora is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Jet
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
We spent several years tooing and froing Spain France The coastal areas not to our liking and too expensive. We live in a remote area of Spain, one of the poorer regions . Houses are lower here as us the cost of living.

My husbands business partner died years ago aged 47. When we reached 50 that death had a profound effect about doing something in 2014 we visited three regions in spain Andalusia, no likely, Asturias beautiful but not for us eventually in September we came to Extremadura and felt at home. Went back to UK sold house in 5 days , booked a ferry crossing for the following February once house sold handed in notice sold most of our possessions and drove over with a few suitcases pots and pans and two cats. Rented an apartment on the Portuguese border. Spent a month looking at property found this and that was it.

I had zero Spanish apart from holiday Spanish. Jobs not an issue as I had my NHS pension which I took at 55. We designated savings to live off and our state pension arrives now in 5 years
I do work now. Being self employed and paying social security equivalent here gives us both state healthcare without that we would have to have private which eventually becomes expensive with old age etc

It's not been easy and there are difficult adjustments to be had, the arrival of grandchildren is the hardest but overall pur life here is of a much higher quality than a forty plus slog in the NHS and the UK

Typed on phone in car apologies for any odd words!
The reason I left Spain to live back in England after 11years was the Grandchildren...been back 8 years.
Jet is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:11 AM  
Link to this Post
spongebob10
slightly serious Dibber

I have a 1 bed flat which used to be an “Officers Mess” during the war on London Borders / Essex. Bought it alone 2 years ago for £208,000. Mad when you see the price comparison of houses further in the North! Takes me 1 hour door to door to get to work in the City.
Old 23 Jan 20, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
Stitchesmumanddad
VIP Dibber

Im a single mum. Ive bought and sold property since I was 18. I have a 5 bed detached house thats worth around £800k - Greater London - bought from new in 2001 ( I helped design it, I could never move ) . I’m just buying my son a house - 3 bed town house about 12 minutes from me. He is 20 so he cant have it yet. He has to save up and get all adult like and then he can move in. In the mean time its an investment vehicle. Im saving again ( and overpaying my own mortgage) to get funds for my second son’s house planned for later in the year - but due to medical reasons I want him closer, but its so expensive. For him Im looking at a shared ownership house and I keep driving the housing association lady mad chasing for release dates.
Old 23 Jan 20, 05:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Nannad
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Taffy1959 View Post
Really is a small world
We live on the Well House estate now.
Flipping heck, if you follow the estate road around, ours old house was backing onto the new eatate, with the bridle path behind it is a bit bigger than the others with a double garage and next to a cul de sac with bungalows. We still have a lot of friends there and we are going to the millstone on Saturday evening for a meal.

Edited at 01:37 AM.
Nannad is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 07:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisbon
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
It really is crazy, and your daughter is fortunate that she can work in Nottinghamshire and pay much less to rent a bigger house.

My son will ideally be looking to buy a property with his girlfriend next year, but there is little hope of him buying around me. I should stress that I don't live in a posh area, in fact parts of Ruislip have some nice big houses, but I live in the cheaper part with the small houses (I'm basically poor). That said we are looking to move in the future and my 3 bed smallish terraced house will buy us a nice 4 bed detached house where we are considering moving to (about 40 miles away).

Fingers crossed your daughter finds a nice rental house soon.
My sister used to live in Ickenham village , OMG some of the houses built near where she lived are huge.
She sold her mid terrace small house for £515k and bought a brand new detached bungalow in Essex overlooking fields for £420k
Rob
Lisbon is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
Princess Ariel
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Stitchesmumanddad View Post
Im a single mum. Ive bought and sold property since I was 18. I have a 5 bed detached house thats worth around £800k - Greater London - bought from new in 2001 ( I helped design it, I could never move ) . I’m just buying my son a house - 3 bed town house about 12 minutes from me. He is 20 so he cant have it yet. He has to save up and get all adult like and then he can move in. In the mean time its an investment vehicle. Im saving again ( and overpaying my own mortgage) to get funds for my second son’s house planned for later in the year - but due to medical reasons I want him closer, but its so expensive. For him Im looking at a shared ownership house and I keep driving the housing association lady mad chasing for release dates.
Wow...I just had to comment and say what an inspirational post! What an amazing Mum you are
Princess Ariel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Taffy1959
VIP Dibber

Taffy1959's Reviews
Originally Posted by Nannad View Post
Flipping heck, if you follow the estate road around, ours old house was backing onto the new eatate, with the bridle path behind it is a bit bigger than the others with a double garage and next to a cul de sac with bungalows. We still have a lot of friends there and we are going to the millstone on Saturday evening for a meal, my son lives on rhos road.
I know the one you mean we are in one of the bungalows opposite pleasant close.
I don't know if you were living there at the time but ours is the one that a woman came flying out of the cul-de-sac on the corner in reverse and ended up going through the garden of the house on the corner and hitting the bungalow we now live in.
I love the Millstone food is always really good.

Edited at 08:45 PM.
Taffy1959 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List