Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 21, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post

Hall flooring

I need to redo flooring in the ground floor, except kitchen and down stairs loo. So hallway lounge dining room plus stairs and upper landing.

Hallway is causing debate.
What do you have in yours ? Carpet, tile, laminate, wooden floors, karndean etc ?

Do you have different right by the front door for durability / cleanliness ?

Humming and hawing about having the same all through or going for practicality in the hallway.

Plus, can flooring fitters come into houses now ? I think lead times are quite long so it may be a moot point anyway.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:23 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Fitters can definitely still work as we are getting a new carpet fitted. It is choosing the product that is tricky as all the showrooms are closed. I personally would go for hard flooring in the hall, lounge and dining room then carpet on the stairs and landing maybe?
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:27 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

We've got karndean. I love it. This flows from the hall into a study and a downstairs WC. The guy just cut round the toilet as we couldn't be bothered taking it out or raising it as there was just lino in there before. We have that thin trim around the edges of the room about 20cm in from the edge.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Just to add, for the karndean. We're in a fairly modern house so the floor is chipboard. The fitter then put a thin layer of plywood on top and then some sort of levelling mix on top of that. The karndean was then fit on that.
tmwalsh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post

Thank you. I was pondering Karen dean type stuff. But my dh isn’t so keen on the trim thing so might want all new skirting boards which seems a lot of faff. It’s for the expansion gap no?
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:31 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by darbs View Post
Fitters can definitely still work as we are getting a new carpet fitted. It is choosing the product that is tricky as all the showrooms are closed. I personally would go for hard flooring in the hall, lounge and dining room then carpet on the stairs and landing maybe?
Ah good point. I forgot showrooms are closed ☺️

The layout you suggested would work for me but come concerns that it might be cold or hard to clean ? And need rugs on to keep warm ?
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:32 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Thank you. I was pondering Karen dean type stuff. But my dh isn’t so keen on the trim thing so might want all new skirting boards which seems a lot of faff. It’s for the expansion gap no?
No our fitter went to the skirts. The thin trim is decoration only, you dont need to have it.

Basically the fitter followed the wall with the plank of karndean, fit the trim which is only about 3-4mm. The middle of the room was then filled at a diagonal.
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:35 AM  
Link to this Post
tmwalsh
Apprentice Imagineer

So kind of like this. Although this isn't what we've got.

flooringsupplies/p...0aAihZEALw_wcB
Old 17 Jan 21, 11:38 AM  
Link to this Post
darbs
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by FamilyGWales View Post
Ah good point. I forgot showrooms are closed ☺️

The layout you suggested would work for me but come concerns that it might be cold or hard to clean ? And need rugs on to keep warm ?
We do have a rug in the lounge, we only moved in a few months ago and had carpet in our old lounge so it does feel different!

I find a hard floor in the hall much easier to keep clean than a carpet as we don't have a porch so lots of muddy shoes straight in the house at this time of year!
darbs is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyWannabe
Imagineer

We've had: carpet, laminate and LVT and would always now go for the LVT its so easy to lay and maintain (we had Polyfloor Camaro loc and DH fitted it easily himself). As we've moved home we are just refurbing our en-suite and will be having LVT Click in there.

We need to do the main bathroom next and then will do the hallway, hoping t get the same flooring for all areas.