Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 17 Jan 21, 05:21 PM  
Link to this Post
cartoonp
VIP Dibber

cartoonp's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 14

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 45
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Please Can I asked about credit cards

If you have one or more do you just use them for emergencys or for holidays ect

Thank you
cartoonp is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:22 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

I have an AmEx that pretty much everything significant goes through, but it's always cleared at the end of the month, it's used for airmiles & the insurance - they were brilliant at refunding our Virgin flights last year.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I use credit cards for virtually every purchase.
Claudette is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

Mobile

I would say over 99% of what I buy is on my credit card. I absolutely hate cash and never have the right change for the few car parks that don’t take cards nowadays.
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

Originally Posted by cartoonp View Post
If you have one or more do you just use them for emergencys or for holidays ect

Thank you
I use mine for everything, all the time. It is paid in full at the end of every month. It was brought home to me by my dad that debit cards are your money from the minute you use it, credit cards are not... he had severe problems when his debit card was cloned when away, they took all the money, his mortgage payment bounced and it took months to sort out all the ongoing ramifications. Credit card gets cloned, they sort it out.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

I use one for online purchases for my protection and for abroad as better currency exchange but always pay it off every month by direct debit (too mean to pay interest) for everything else i use debit cards in UK. Stopped using one for miles as have too many of them with no real avenue to spend - I sued to chase cards for earning points when i was younger but ditched them now for free cards that give me cash back
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

I use my credi card for everything I can and my bank pays the bill automatically every month so I never forget and I never pay any interest. I also get John Lewis gift vouchers for using my card and currently have around £150 worth.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

I have the same £30 in my purse that I had 3 months ago, maybe even 6 months ago. We pay everything off each month but use American Express mainly and Mastercard if AE not taken.
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
I don’t have a credit card but I have Amex that I use for everything. I pay the balance off every month and if it’s not accepted I’ll use my debit card.
I do pay a fee but it has huge benefits and offers including flight upgrades, loyalty schemes etc
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 21, 05:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Dinglebert
Imagineer

Dinglebert's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I am another who pays off every month. I only use credit cards which offer me a bonus for using them eg miles, points. Currently have an IHG card for Holiday Inn. Prefer to have my Amex but am currently resting from them as we fell out over a covid hotel booking. Will go back when I can get the initial bonus again.

There is always a word of warning with credit cards. The rate of interest if you don't pay off is hefty. I have been guilty in the bad old days of not paying it off and it can rack up very quickly. Sometimes the minimum payment only just cleared the interest which is not a good place to be.
Dinglebert is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List