Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 30 Dec 18, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Those that do a Waitrose Xmas dinner order

Well after my first attempt at Christmas dinner out this year since childhood we won't rpt that in a hurry. Lovely chilled day right up until we sat down for dinner. Seated at 3.30 starter came at 5:10. Had to ask for my daughters dessert while she ate her main as had to be at work for 7. For seven of us we paid £300 plus drinks. I've vaguely suggested next year we all chip in and do a ready prepped Christmas Waitrose order. Any tips recommendations or suggestions please. Obviously this far in advance it could all change but we're definitely not going out 😂

Edited at 12:12 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

We have done this 3 years now - M&S and Waitrose ready prepped stuff. There are 10 of us and although it seems expensive compared to eating out it isn't. This year our meal was Gin & Tonic Gravad Lax that I had made myself, really easy and did it 2 days earlier. We then had roast beef, with ready made yorkies, gravy, prepped sprouts, red cabbage, stuffing balls, pigs in blankets and carrot batons from M&S. The roast pots we did ourselves as ready prepped ones come coated in flour which MIL can't tolerate. We followed with choice of GF cheesecake or xmas pud (microwaved) with cream. Very easy and not too much effort. I have also used Cook! which is a frozen food shop, probably could google and see if there is one near you. Their food is delish, bit pricey but worth it. The only reason I didn't use them this year was I couldn't guarantee it would stay frozen on the journey to the cottage we were staying in and there wasn't a local one for the cottage.

Good luck, maybe give it a dry run over NY?

BTW if you order early on M&S then you get free wine or chocs

Just reread this and to make it clear, only things we did ourselves were the starter, potatoes and beef. Everything else was ready to cook/heat. We also did ready to bake croissants etc for breakfast and ready made salads, porkpies, sausage roll type things for the evening. Hope that helps

Edited at 12:54 PM.
parisdisneyfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Dec 18, 01:07 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Thankyou. I've ordered from m&s a few times and had a few substitutions so thought we might try Waitrose next year. My sister has volunteered to host on Christmas Day and while she's a good cook she detests cooking so thought this might make it a bit less stressful for her. Thought if we all chip in she won't have all the expense either.