Notices
Food, Wine, Cooking & Eating Discussion on all things food related. Sharing recipes and giving tips and tricks to great food.

Old 9 May 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Originally Posted by jools1302 View Post
Would anyone be kind enough to share a fool proof pizza dough recipe?

Thanks 😁
taste.au/recipes/piz...5-c9c4a729d718

I use this one and it has never failed me
Old 13 May 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

i've been experimenting with pizza making for years now, and i've finally come up with a consistently good dough you can use in your home oven that isn't too wet to use, but it might take a bit of practice to work with. wet hands when stretching helps. also, semolina on the base to stop sticking.

a pizza stone, or steel/cast iron baking tray *really* makes a difference in cooking too. turn your oven on full blast an hour before cooking, with the stone(s) in the oven from cold. a pizza peel is kinda essential too. it might seem like far too much effort, but you will be rewarded if you make the effort!

this is enough to make 6-7 12" dough balls (or a couple more if you only want ~9" bases). as there's only 2 of us, i usually keep three balls out for a cook and freeze the rest in lightly oiled ziploc bags.

1kg flour (half caputo "00" flour if possible - the big sainsburys have an own brand "taste the difference 1kg pack, but i usually get mine from the italian deli down the road from my house), half normal self raising. This makes a BIG difference compared to just SR on it's own!)
600ml warm water
7g instant yeast
2tbsp salt
2tbsp sugar

Mix water with yeast and sugar. Let prove for 10mins. Mix in KitchenAid with flour and salt for ~5min

Portion into 250g chunks. Freeze unused dough. I froze 4 pieces leaving 3 for tonight. The frozen stuff should be usable by getting out the freezer in the morning and defrosting/proving until you get home later that day.

Let (fresh) portions rest (covered) for 1-4 hours on their own at room temperature. (Although, the warmer the better! i usually put mine on top of the cooker while the )
Hand stretch into ~12" bases. Use a bit more flour to stop sticking.

Tomato base... Take one pack/tin of chopped tomatoes (or passata if you prefer your sauce smooth), add 1tsp sugar and a bunch of dried oregano and some garlic paste. Cook down in a pan for 15+ mins to reduce, getting rid of so much water that when you shift some off the bottom, you don't get sauce filling the gap immediately. Store for later. This should be enough for 4-6 pizzas. You can do this in advance up to a couple.of days before if necessary.

Add fresh mozzarella (if you buy the ball in water type, wrap it well in kitchen paper and press on it to remove some of the moisture), and other toppings. (I used salami, jalapenos, thinly sliced red onion, olives and chorizo but you can use what you want... Just don't put too much on there!) Also add (optional) spinach (which I put on the base before other stuff) and finally top with (fresh grated) parmesan

Put some semolina flour on the pizza peel to stop it sticking as well as adding a professional texture to the finished product, and move the topped pizza onto it. Pull into a rough circle then launch into a pizza stone that has been heating in the oven for at least an hour.
Cook for ~5min, then turn 180° for another couple of mins till browned perfectly. Remove and slice. Cool for a few mins and eat.

if you want to cheat, i recommend going to your local indian supermarket and hopefully they will have fresh large naan bread. we get three huge garlic naan for a quid, and it makes a fantastic quick base for those nights where i dont want to make a mess, or have time for stretching/prepping the dough. failing that, tesco/etc mostly do garlic flatbreads in the bakery section for a quid or so each

heres one i made earlier...

*edit*
i forgot, i already did a thread about it!
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1109738

this goes into much more detail...

Edited at 08:13 AM.
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 09:20 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

We do a complete cheats pizza from time to time.

Wrights' Ciabatta bread mix, water, olive oil - into bread maker on dough setting. Take out, cut into 6, stretch out, use a jar of Napolina pizza topping and top with whatever and grated cheese (from the freezer - when we get a fresh block we use a bit and grate the rest into a tub in the freezer).

Put on a hot tray in a hot oven for 8-10 min.
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 09:28 AM  
Link to this Post
scojos
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Add pizza dough to a cold oven.
Its called a cold bottom pizza and u dont have to prove as it proves when warming.
I have done this literally with 1000s of yr 7s and never had a disaster x
scojos is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 May 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Peter H
VIP Dibber

You can use a soda bread type base for speed. It is not quite the same but is a good substitute.

DLP: day trips 2000, 03; Cheyenne Sep 09, Feb 11; Sequoia Lodge June 08, May 12; Elysee May 12, Jan 13, Sep 13; Disneyland Hotel Mar 15, Santa Fe Nov 16, Newport Bay Sep 17
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14 Other: DCL Disney Magic Sep 17

Trippies and videos from:
Orlando
DLP Cruise and other
Peter H is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List