Notices
Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 4 Aug 19, 11:07 AM  
Link to this Post
xXxSammi88xXx
VIP Dibber

Mobile Stroller for 6 year old

Does anyone know of a stroller that my average sized 6 year old would fit in? He has suspected autism and hates walking. He says his legs hurt and he runs away so we need a stroller for his own safety. Cant hire one from disney as we are going to new york first for 3 nights so he will need one there. We have a silver cross pop but he doesnt fit in it anymore and he drags his feet on the wheels during meltdowns. I looked online at a baby jogger city mini gt. The american version seems to be larger so i could order it to our hotel in new york but just wondering if anyone had any recommendations
Old 4 Aug 19, 11:46 AM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Try the Maclaren Major, our DD fitted in hers until she no longer needed it, she found it comfortable and it was lightweight and easy to fold like a stroller. I think they are about £300 new but would be cheaper 2nd hand.
Bootrip2 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

I'm having a similar issue with my ds who has asd I am trying to get him to walk more but he's a nightmare for crying his legs hurt, going into meltdown or running of. He's currently using a mothercare nanu for any longer trips we do which copes fine weight wise even though he's over the 15kg suggested limit but his legs are getting far too long.

I have looked at the maclaren major but it does not recline which is a huge issue for us.

I've have looked at a couple of 3 wheelers which have a weight limit of 25kgs and they seem like a possible options. We tried one in mothercare for size and it seemed ok but ds was having a bad day and literally got in and then out again so we have to go back and check properly.

The hauck rapid 3 is one of the cheapest I've seen with a higher weight limit they do a 4 wheel one that's cheaper and still has the higher weight limit but I'm leaning towards a 3 wheel style one as the one we tried seemed a better fit for longer legs.
The baby jogger city mini gt looks good and does have a slightly higher weight limit but not sure its really worth the extra cost at his age as they will outgrow it quite quickly guess it depends on how much you would be using it after the holiday?

Do you have anywhere locally like mothercare that has any floor models you could try?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

We have a very tall just 6 year old (133cm) that fitted fine in a regular city mini fine this year. The gt has a bigger seat so I’m sure you would be fine.
They are very easy to fold and push, even with an older child. Plus a massive sun hood that comes right down.
Get a rechargeable clip on fan too. I got ours from amazon for for about £13 they were brilliant. Lasted a good while and can also be plugged in via usb. We used an external battery.
This would provide a cool quieter space for him.

We got ours from Facebook marketplace, hardly used.

Edited at 08:13 PM.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Aug 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Bootrip2
VIP Dibber

Phil and teds also do larger buggies which do recline for heavier children, the only problem is they are very heavy to push with a big child in them. We had the Vibe before the maclaren major.
Old 4 Aug 19, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
nadya
Imagineer

7 year old ds has autism (as does 14 year old ds) and also has meltdowns and runs off a lot
He likes having the stroller as a safe space,with ear defenders and the hood pulled down.we are hiring a city mini gt again,he still fits in it ok at 133cm and 28kgs.
nadya is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List