Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 2 Oct 19, 01:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Fuellady
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by pandanne View Post
We’ve just booked to do this with Eagle Riders - May/June next year. So excited. Been watching the Hairy Bikers.
You’ll be a month behind us, we’re going April/May. We’ve been watching the hairy bikers as well 😁

All of my trip reports are in this INDEX

My most recent reports are below:
*Complete* A Tale of Two Cities - Washington D.C. & Boston - March 2023
We Love Food! An Offsite Dining Report - May 2022
Fuellady is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Oct 19, 02:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

This is sooooo me! I've been planning numerous road trips in my head and I've now progressed to having a spreadsheet cross referencing the states and the trips - I'll try and attach screenshots so that you can have a giggle at my obsessive planning! I've got 47 of the states sussed but I'm really struggling with Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota. There's an Iowa Place in the town I live, maybe I should just cheat and get a photo of the road sign!

My poor OH doesn't know what hit him - I'm in my late 40's and he's in his early 50's but we've only been together 3.5 years and I don't think he was expecting this! My opinion is that we've taken a long time to find each other so now we have to have as many adventures as we can to make special memories! I got him a lovely black and gold scratch-off map of the US for Christmas last year to inspire him, though if I'm totally honest it was probably one of those pressies that was for me really! Neither of us has done a US road trip before, the closest we got was him driving around the Netherlands and Germany last summer visiting some of my old haunts, and that was nerve-wracking enough!

Our first road trip is 3 weeks driving from San Francisco to San Diego next Sep/Oct, the first of 4 planned holidays visiting California, though only ticking off one state on this occasion. It'll be a complete trial by fire for the driving, having some serious cities and horrendous traffic to navigate! The next one planned after that is the Deep South for the following May/June, ticking off 7 states. The biggest problems are time off work and paying for all these grand ideas! Life is so short and so precious though, and I'm very lucky to have a partner who will happily do whatever I want (within reason and finances) provided I do all the planning and he just rocks up to enjoy it! In the meantime I keep reading trip reports and making more and more detailed plans for all these dreams!

Hope you have as much fun researching and planning your 50 States tick list as I've had … and if you figure out how best to slot in those 3 missing ones let me know!

Edited at 02:58 PM.
Pooh Bear is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 05:31 PM  
Link to this Post
Alices Aunt
Imagineer

I’ve just finished rewatching Stephen Fry’s journey through all of the states. It’s on Netflix and may give you some inspiration.

Keep us updated with your travels. It sounds a fun challenge
Alices Aunt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Oct 19, 08:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Perfect
Proud to wear my Ears

We’ve had holidays in 30 States, including Hawaii, and Alaska, it’s is over 28 years, but still plenty to explore.
Perfect is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 01:40 PM  
Link to this Post
lovinit
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
This is sooooo me! I've been planning numerous road trips in my head and I've now progressed to having a spreadsheet cross referencing the states and the trips - I'll try and attach screenshots so that you can have a giggle at my obsessive planning! I've got 47 of the states sussed but I'm really struggling with Iowa, Minnesota and North Dakota. There's an Iowa Place in the town I live, maybe I should just cheat and get a photo of the road sign!

My poor OH doesn't know what hit him - I'm in my late 40's and he's in his early 50's but we've only been together 3.5 years and I don't think he was expecting this! My opinion is that we've taken a long time to find each other so now we have to have as many adventures as we can to make special memories! I got him a lovely black and gold scratch-off map of the US for Christmas last year to inspire him, though if I'm totally honest it was probably one of those pressies that was for me really! Neither of us has done a US road trip before, the closest we got was him driving around the Netherlands and Germany last summer visiting some of my old haunts, and that was nerve-wracking enough!

Our first road trip is 3 weeks driving from San Francisco to San Diego next Sep/Oct, the first of 4 planned holidays visiting California, though only ticking off one state on this occasion. It'll be a complete trial by fire for the driving, having some serious cities and horrendous traffic to navigate! The next one planned after that is the Deep South for the following May/June, ticking off 7 states. The biggest problems are time off work and paying for all these grand ideas! Life is so short and so precious though, and I'm very lucky to have a partner who will happily do whatever I want (within reason and finances) provided I do all the planning and he just rocks up to enjoy it! In the meantime I keep reading trip reports and making more and more detailed plans for all these dreams!

Hope you have as much fun researching and planning your 50 States tick list as I've had … and if you figure out how best to slot in those 3 missing ones let me know!

Love your planner! That's some serious planning, lol.

Our West Coast road trip was amazing, loved it. Driving around LA was a nightmare though. Everywhere else was a doodle.
lovinit is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Oct 19, 06:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Pooh Bear
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by lovinit View Post
Love your planner! That's some serious planning, lol.

Our West Coast road trip was amazing, loved it. Driving around LA was a nightmare though. Everywhere else was a doodle.
Seriously fun planning ... if only the bank manager agreed!

It’s driving around LA that’s stressing OH the most. I’m trying to plan everything to minimise it but it’s still a necessary evil!
Old 8 Oct 19, 06:53 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pooh Bear View Post
Seriously fun planning ... if only the bank manager agreed!

It’s driving around LA that’s stressing OH the most. I’m trying to plan everything to minimise it but it’s still a necessary evil!
He shouldn’t worry too much. The traffic moves so slowly on the I5 sometimes that it would be quicker to walk. It is simply tedious if you time it wrong. If you remain very aware of lane discipline (loads of ‘offs’), then you will be fine. Probably our timing was in any case, bad also.

We are only going down as far as San Luis Obispo next year. We did consider San Diego (as we love the place). If we had, we would have dumped the car at SL Obispo airport and flown over LA to get there. Whilst many love it, I would sooner visit Central Birmingham.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 07:15 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List