Notices
Weddings and Honeymoons DIBBers wedding and honeymoon planning and chat.

Old 4 Jun 19, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
jacimac
Helping Mickey

Wedding Licence Help

Hi,

Can someone please calm my nerves! My daughter is due to get married at Paradise Cove in 6 weeks. Am I correct in thinking all we need to take with us is Passports and make a visit to the nearest courthouse and apply for a Wedding Licence?

I have looked into the postal option but that involves having something notarised in the UK with a solicitor which obviously adds to costs. Am I correct in thinking if they just go to the local court house and apply for their license on a day before the wedding they do not need to have such a document?

Also am I correct in thinking they do not need to have anything in the UK before such as having Banns read etc?

Any help would be much appreciated
Southern Dunes Villas 2001, Disney All Star Music 2008, 2010, 2012, Disney POR & Bahamas Disney Dream Cruise 2014, NYC & Disney POR 2015, Disney POR 2016, Cape Coral, Keys & Disney CSR 2017, NYC & Disney POR 2018, Sol Terra Resort Villa, Pardise Cove Wedding & Disney CSR Honeymoon 2019
jacimac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Weddingnyc
Apprentice Imagineer

We got married in New York - we went to the court house the day before (it had to be done more than 24 hours before the ceremony). I think we filled in most of the details online so only had to go through them at the “interview”, and sign. We needed our passports or birth certificate, and payment.

You could pay extra for longer certificate (with parents names on I think) but it was a lot more hassle, and it isn’t needed for changing any names over in the UK.

We received our marriage licence about 6 weeks after returning home.

We didn’t need to do anything in the UK.
NY and Boston July 2020
Weddingnyc is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 10:29 PM  
Link to this Post
jacimac
Helping Mickey

Originally Posted by Weddingnyc View Post
We got married in New York - we went to the court house the day before (it had to be done more than 24 hours before the ceremony). I think we filled in most of the details online so only had to go through them at the “interview”, and sign. We needed our passports or birth certificate, and payment.

You could pay extra for longer certificate (with parents names on I think) but it was a lot more hassle, and it isn’t needed for changing any names over in the UK.

We received our marriage licence about 6 weeks after returning home.

We didn’t need to do anything in the UK.
Great thanks for your help it’s much appreciated
Southern Dunes Villas 2001, Disney All Star Music 2008, 2010, 2012, Disney POR & Bahamas Disney Dream Cruise 2014, NYC & Disney POR 2015, Disney POR 2016, Cape Coral, Keys & Disney CSR 2017, NYC & Disney POR 2018, Sol Terra Resort Villa, Pardise Cove Wedding & Disney CSR Honeymoon 2019
jacimac is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 01:45 AM  
Link to this Post
minniejem
Earning My Ears

We got married in Florida last October and drove to the Osceola County Courthouse our first morning when it opened. As you walk into the foyer there's security like at the airport - bags, loose articles, shoes and belts go in a tray and you walk through a metal detector. The marriage office is then straight up the stairs in front of you, you can actually see the sign for it above you on the left side of the mezzanine if you look up from where you enter so it's not difficult to find.

At that time there was no queue so we just had to grab a marriage application form and a clipboard and fill in our details before we could be seen at a window. Then we handed over the form, showed our passports and paid in cash. It's a really quick and simple process, as soon as they'd printed off our license we were on our way, it took probably around 10 mins in total? You can find the form and fees etc. on their website osceolaclerk/Home/Co...ookieSupport=1

We also returned the license ourselves after our wedding so we didn't have to wait to receive the record of our marriage in the post back in the UK. We just returned the licence to the same windows and paid for any extra copies.

Edited at 01:57 AM.
minniejem is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Jun 19, 02:03 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

we too got our licence at the same courthouse. Just passports, if either of the couple are divorced you don't need proof just the date and court .
We went in about 11am . I prebooked a cab on wait and return and stopped off at Publix to order our cake on the way back.
Court is open Monday to Friday closed holidays (plus some days I didbn't expect we got married last September and as well as labor day it was also closed for Yom Kipur which surprised me.
I was really easy and quick ... so no panicking required
Our celebrant dealt with the licence after our ceremony and the certificate was waiting for us when we got home a week and a half later.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jun 19, 12:13 PM  
Link to this Post
jacimac
Helping Mickey

Thanks for all your replies everyone I feel more settled now!
Old 18 Jun 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for this thread, I was having the same panic this evening!
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List