BONZO
Imagineer

Slings, spins and other things - Singapore 2019 - Day 3

Monday 9th September 2019

Cast:

Shaun - me, 50's, loves travelling
Alison - wife, 50's, loves travelling

Index: HERE

I woke up from a lovely sleep and we both had a light breakfast.

We changed out of pyjamas and freshened up before landing on time at 5:25am.

We had a bus journey back to the terminal building and the journey back seemed to take an absolute age. We eventually found our way to the lounge (always have trouble with this) and the place was heaving! We don’t normally see this level of people around but then again we don’t normally get here at this time of day.

All of the showers were fully booked or had a very long wait so we skipped them in the end and decided to just head to our next gate. It was quite nice just to wander and stretch our legs. On arrival at gate D23 via the monorail/train service we realised that people were already boarding! Yikes!

Didn’t realise we’d wandered for so long!

We got a shuffle on and boarded the bus which left quite promptly. However it trundled round the airport on a very familiar route – back to the row of plans we’d parked at previously. Not only that – we ended up boarding the exact same plane we’d just got off! This time we had chosen middle seats which turn into a double bed – woo hoo!

After a glass of champagne, we both changed into pyjamas and after take off I just lay down and slept – I’ll hand over to Alison here because I have no idea what was going on!

Alison: It was a lovely flight – I enjoyed a light breakfast- cereal, pastries and a cup of tea, and watched a film or two ( Independence Day and A Star is Born) while Shaun slept on and on next to me.

I had a short sleep after a while.

Back to Shaun:We both woke up about 2 hours before landing and opted for a beef and cheese flatbread with chips (me) and Nasi Goreng (Alison)

while I watched Summer Wars Anime film – if interested a review on Rotten Tomatoes says this:

“An enjoyably trippy Japanese animated feature from director Mamoru Hosoda, Summer Wars combines real-world drama (school crushes, testy relatives) with virtual-world dramatics.”

Alison listened to music and played games and had a cappuccino and cookies.

We filled out some pre-landing forms to complete and eventually landed at Changi airport at about 08:25.

We were very quickly through immigration then collected our bags which were almost the first ones off! We then headed straight out to the taxi rank and we were in the taxi heading to our hotel within 15 minutes of landing – amazing!

As we drove into central Singapore Alison said “Oh, this area is nice”, and “that’s a swanky looking hotel” – just as we turned up the impressive driveway and pulled up. Definitely one of those “what the heck!” moments from Alison

As background, Alison deals with the flight bookings and deals, we jointly look at hotels and I look out for off the beaten track attractions. I’d been looking at hotels and kept coming back to The Fullerton, possibly just out of our budget but there was something about it. We did consider Marina Bay Sands as an alternative but decided that we’d rather look at it than stay in it!

Anyway, back to the report…as we pulled up uniformed door staff opened the car doors and helped us out with our luggage (the taxi fare was S$23), insisting we walked the red carpet into the foyer - certainly not something we’ve experienced before. Inside we approached the check-in desk and I was just blown away with the grandeur of the place – who knew it was the old Post Office building?

The check-in lady was superb and even showed us all the way our room where we had been upgraded to a Heritage Marina Bay view room (think that’s right) OMG OMG OMG! – The room ranks amongst the best we’ve ever had. The lady even asked if the room suited us ok – we just said “fine” and after she left we just looked at each other in amazement. There was a lovely entrance and then we walked down steps to get to the main part of the room

And the view across the bay - wow!

We spent a bit of time just looking at the view from our window and taking in the surroundings before we decided to check out The Straights lounge to see what the place looked like and what the set-up was. We only had a brief amount of time before the lounge closed so we just grabbed a couple of soft drinks before heading out of the hotel to have a wander to get a first glimpse of our local surroundings.

We popped out next to Cavenagh Bridge and walked down towards the Merlion for a closer look. Erm, it was a bit smaller as I thought it would be and according to a website it ranks in the top 3 most disappointing national monuments along with Manneken Pis (Belgium) and The Little Mermaid statue (Copenhagen). A bit harsh really as I liked the changing lights that’s shone onto it.

The view from here across the bay looking towards Marina Bay Sands and Gardens by the Bay East was quite spectacular. We walked across the Jubilee Bridge and found Makansutra Gluttons Bay Hawker Centre.

makansutra/eateries-stalls.aspx?mid=1

I had the Old Satay Club Mee Goreng and Alison had Nasi Goreng, all washed down with some ice cold Tiger Beer, overall the whole thing just hit the spot – wonderful!

We took a slow stroll back to the hotel, taking in the sights and admiring the view – amazing!

Once back in the room we finished our unpacking and I decided to have a couple of Gin and Tonics to round off the day before calling it a night.

1988 ~ Contemporary ~ Honeymoon
1989 ~ Off site
1994 ~ EuroDisney ~ Santa Fe
1999 ~ Off site
2001 ~ CBR (Aruba) ~ Poly (Tahiti)
2003 ~ WL & HRH
2004 ~ Pop Century, RPH, CSR, PBH, Contemporary
2006 ~ DLP ~ Newport Bay
2007 ~ POR ~ HRH ~ GF
2008 ~ All star sports, BCV, RPH, Vero Beach, VWL
2010 ~ OKW ~ BCV ~ HRH ~POP Century ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL
2013 ~ AKL ~ HRH ~ BCV ~ Vero Beach ~ VWL

Edited at 10:24 PM.
BONZO is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 04:12 AM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

I am looking at going to Singapore next year perhaps 5 nights then a Cruise, so reading your report with interest.
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 06:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Melbatb
Imagineer

Mobile

A long travel day but you seemed to manage to get enough sleep!

Singapore looks stunning!

Index of my trip reports
2016 Quebec - Kuala Lumpar - New York City 2017 Dubai - Eurocamps France - Ontario and Quebec - So-Cal 2018 Montreal - Bangkok - New England 2019 Argentina - Quebec City - Hong Kong - 2020 Switzerland 2022 Arizona - Costa Med Cruise - Oslo 2023 Hong Kong - Gothenburg
Melbatb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Oct 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
kateh134
Imagineer

What an amazing room! Fab views from there too.
Old 14 Oct 19, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Wow, we're looking at going in a couple of years. Just to clarify - you stayed in the Fullerton? a friend recommended that to us today funnily enough. What sort of prices are you looking for for meals and a G&T there?
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

We didn’t have any meals there (other than breakfast - but we didn’t have to pay for that!) We did go in the bar and had cocktails and it was fairly pricey but then again a lot of places are in Singapore!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List