Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 11 Oct 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Another Revolut question ( so sorry )

Using it during a Disney onsite stay

Can I pay for tips at the table with it or will they put a hold on some so it ties money up ? Do I just write on the receipt $x paid by card ?

Am I better putting it on magic band and paying it off at the desk in the hotel each day instead with my Revolut and have the $100 hold on my normal credit card. Any possibility of getting charged twice ?

Do you just use it like a normal card here or do you still sign at Disney for purchases?

Offsite

Is there anywhere you wouldn’t use it except at petrol stations ?

Do I need to switch off contactless over there and how do I do that ?

Anything else I need to know ? Never used one before
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 04:04 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mexy02 View Post
Using it during a Disney onsite stay

Can I pay for tips at the table with it or will they put a hold on some so it ties money up ? Do I just write on the receipt $x paid by card ?

Am I better putting it on magic band and paying it off at the desk in the hotel each day instead with my Revolut and have the $100 hold on my normal credit card. Any possibility of getting charged twice ?
you can use whatever means of payment for the tips
if you're on the dining plan, I'd suggest adding the tip to your room charge account, and then use your revolut to pay it off at front desk

if you're paying the whole meal with your card, use the revolut
be very aware that disney (and many offsite restaurants) now process payment in 2 steps
first of all, they will process the meal amount, without tip, and you'll instantly see that amount on your revolut app
then you will write the tip down on the receipt
and you'll notice that, it will take one or a couple of days for the tip to hit your revolut. Actually the initial transaction amount will change ... that's a bit disturbing the first time, because you think the waiter has forgotten to add the tip to your card, but it will eventually come
keep that in mind

but I will deffo use the magic band for all payments, as long as you can sustain the holds on your main card. and pay off with the revolut to avoid fees.

Do you just use it like a normal card here or do you still sign at Disney for purchases?
policies do change, but they tend to require a signature for amounts over $50 or something like that
but, the US also is moving towards the use of chip and pin like we do here
Some places you'll swipe, you may or may not be required to sign, some places you'll need to insert the card and type the pin code.

Is there anywhere you wouldn’t use it except at petrol stations ?
very little stores, like the booths in the hallways of the florida mall. Or thrift stores, flea markets, and stuff like that.

Do I need to switch off contactless over there and how do I do that ?
if you're talking about the revolut, go to your app, and select your card, then security
you can switch features on and off (don't forget to switch it back on when you need it ... lol ... got caught once and didn't realise at first why my purchase was denied :p )

you don't really need to switch off, but as a safety measure, why not. Every one will have their opinion on that.
on a personal level, I don't switch features off (as said above, I will forget to turn them back on )

Anything else I need to know ? Never used one before
yes ... one thing ... those nasty things have you spend way more than you'd like.
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
you can use whatever means of payment for the tips
if you're on the dining plan, I'd suggest adding the tip to your room charge account, and then use your revolut to pay it off at front desk

if you're paying the whole meal with your card, use the revolut
be very aware that disney (and many offsite restaurants) now process payment in 2 steps
first of all, they will process the meal amount, without tip, and you'll instantly see that amount on your revolut app
then you will write the tip down on the receipt
and you'll notice that, it will take one or a couple of days for the tip to hit your revolut. Actually the initial transaction amount will change ... that's a bit disturbing the first time, because you think the waiter has forgotten to add the tip to your card, but it will eventually come
keep that in mind

but I will deffo use the magic band for all payments, as long as you can sustain the holds on your main card. and pay off with the revolut to avoid fees.

policies do change, but they tend to require a signature for amounts over $50 or something like that
but, the US also is moving towards the use of chip and pin like we do here
Some places you'll swipe, you may or may not be required to sign, some places you'll need to insert the card and type the pin code.

very little stores, like the booths in the hallways of the florida mall. Or thrift stores, flea markets, and stuff like that.

if you're talking about the revolut, go to your app, and select your card, then security
you can switch features on and off (don't forget to switch it back on when you need it ... lol ... got caught once and didn't realise at first why my purchase was denied :p )

you don't really need to switch off, but as a safety measure, why not. Every one will have their opinion on that.
on a personal level, I don't switch features off (as said above, I will forget to turn them back on )

yes ... one thing ... those nasty things have you spend way more than you'd like.
Brilliant , thank you. I think I’ll use the magic band ( it’s just for tips ) and pay off each day . We have 5 nights onsite so hopefully just the one hold but there’s more than enough to cover the hold anyway .
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:38 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkspideruk
Imagineer

pinkspideruk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Just about to leave been using the revolut card this trip.

Sometimes payments have been reverted so it shows the amount as a minus then it adds it back on and says reverted then about 3-5 days later it takes it off again. Just remember to manually deduct the reverted amount from whatever your balance is.

Some places want you to swipe, others use chip, others contactless, sometimes sign, sometimes pin sometimes nothing and no rhyme nor reason as to which you get.

Only place i couldn't use it was in the second floor till at the coke store in DS as their machine wasnt working

Sep 01 - Sep 20 Universal Endless Summer Surfside
pinkspideruk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
Originally Posted by pinkspideruk View Post
Just about to leave been using the revolut card this trip.

Sometimes payments have been reverted so it shows the amount as a minus then it adds it back on and says reverted then about 3-5 days later it takes it off again. Just remember to manually deduct the reverted amount from whatever your balance is.

Some places want you to swipe, others use chip, others contactless, sometimes sign, sometimes pin sometimes nothing and no rhyme nor reason as to which you get.

Only place i couldn't use it was in the second floor till at the coeke store in DS as their machine wasnt working
Aw thank you , hope youve had a good time and a safe journey home
Sept 24 POFQ
Old 11 Oct 19, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
discostu
slightly serious Dibber

Now we were in Bradenton in August the only thing it didn't work on was buying tickets for it was Busch Gardens. Must say I thought it was brilliant got a great rate and yes a mix of contactless, signing and pin
discostu is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Oct 19, 11:13 PM  
Link to this Post
sunjue100
VIP Dibber

sunjue100's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Just back last weekend and used it everywhere no problem. Only issue is it’s far too easy to add money to so spent more than I intended especially on the last day😂
Old 14 Oct 19, 09:07 PM  
Link to this Post
mummabluberry
Earning More Ears

I decided to get a Revolut card for my forthcoming trip.
I used Fairfx last time round which worked really well but switched to Revolut as it was recommended by Money Saving Expert and their exchange rates are better.
I just noticed that MSE no longer recommend Revolut and I am wondering why?
mummabluberry is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List