Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 14 Oct 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Things to do in Amsterdam third week in November

I'm off to Amsterdam 21st November for four nights with my oldest son. He has aspergers so wasn't keen on the plane journey on his own, he asked me to keep him company.

We need to keep spends down as it's an extra budget trip,
it's my sixth trip away this year. Hardly a third world problem I know
Sons main reason for going is to attend a gig and also a football match (he is fine doing these on his own) I'm wondering what to do in November in Amsterdam apart from museums. I've pencilled in a free walking tour, but I'm a bit stuck after that. We are a week too early for the Christmas markets and the Festival of Light.

Edited at 11:05 AM.
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandobound
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Anne Frank House? But you will need to book tickets asap. A canal cruise. The Van Gogh museum is really fantastic. You could do a tour of the Heineken brewery and I think there are gin tours also. Or jump on a train to Haarlem or Utrecht - both very pretty, canals, lovely shops and restaurants- all on a smaller scale to Amsterdam which is heaving with tourists all year round. I was there in late November last year and found it very cold and damp and we even had some snow.
orlandobound is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 07:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Amsterdam is a port on my September 2020 cruise. I havent finalised my plans yet but these are some of my planning ideas.

Hop On Hop Off bus citysightseeingamsterdam.nl/
Our Lord in the Attic Museum - A 17th-century canal house with a Catholic church in the attic opsolder.nl/en/about/about-museum
Amsterdam Holocaust Museum jck.nl/en/node/958
Amsterdam Resistance Museum verzetsmuseum/museum/en/museum
Gassan Diamond Factory Tour gassan/en/t0yTfApHVY
Lunch at Hard Rock Cafe hardrockcafe/location/amsterdam/
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:23 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by orlandobound View Post
Anne Frank House? But you will need to book tickets asap.
personally, i wouldnt bother with the anne frank house. far too crowded, touristy and claustrophobic.

go see body worlds, or the banksy exhibit at MOCO if its still on (i think it finishes at xmas). or have a space cake and go wander round the rijksmuseum for a day

if heights don't bother you, try the lookout observation deck/swing at dam nord, then go for a posh meal at restaurant moon in the same building (its a revolving restaurant at the top of the building)

adamlookout/

if its a nice day, have a wander through vondelpark, or see if theres any events in museumpark - when we went a few months ago, they have an extreme sports/skateboarding festival on which was a nice way to waste a few hours!

finally, if you like ribs, you *have* to go to cafe de klos. seriously some of the best ribs i've *ever* had! you have to book in advance, but if you dont mind waiting a little while, go there and book, then go to the bar over the road and sit and have a beer, and they will come get you when your table is ready (and you can take your drink over with you!)
tripadvisor/Restau..._Province.html

hth
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Thanks everyone. I went in the Anne Frank museum years ago, don't think we'll bother with that this time. I've found a cheese museum, well more of a cheese shop with a small free museum, and a cat boat for rescued cats (that'll appeal to DS) 😀
The zoo is also a consideration depending on weather
93 94 03 2023 DLP
JudyC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 10:10 AM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

oh, also, for a sweet treat, go to metropolitan on warmoestraat. so much better than all the other places in the area we went to... ended up going there most days for an ice cream and some other bits...

tripadvisor/ShowUs..._Province.html
wanye is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

Mobile

Might feel a bit cool for an icecream in November, but will be looking for some good pancake places 😀
93 94 03 2023 DLP
Old 15 Oct 19, 12:30 PM  
Link to this Post
wanye
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JudyC View Post
Might feel a bit cool for an icecream in November, but will be looking for some good pancake places 😀
they do pancakes and waffles and other stuff too!

my photo of the counter: tripadvisor/ShowUs...regationId=101

try the poffertjes and stroopwafels (and/or a liege waffle) instead of traditional crepes though. maybe with a dollop of ice cream on top
Old 17 Oct 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
k4ti3-x
Apprentice Imagineer

k4ti3-x's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
I'm not a beer drinker but really enjoyed the Heineken tour. Also would recommend a canal tour and going up the A'dam tower.

For food recommendations, Greenwoods Singel was great for brunch - very small cafe though so you'll probably need to wait for a table. Also Mr Porter in the W Hotel was amazing for a special meal. Food Hallen is an indoor food market with live music and food/drink options - mostly locals which was a nice change from lots of tourists.
k4ti3-x is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List