Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 15 Oct 19, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
barryp1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by olgaandcoda View Post
I think the general rule for me is a four hour slot between eating and being ill.
I make a lovely curry most Thursday's for my youngest son to visit. He gives me marks out of ten! Cheeky sod! And eats anything he finds in my cupboards!
I also like a takeaway on a Saturday night, if we are staying in. Chinese or Indian, both from decent local restaurants. I think I deserve a day off from cooking.
On the contrary 4 hours is normally too short an incubation period for the bacteria. It's more likely to be at least 12 hours and can be several days.
barryp1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 02:01 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
I’ve been on SW all week and I’m blaming this thread on me nipping out to the very good local chippy for a fish and chip lunch...
Dont do it! Dont eat the batter, you will regret it!
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

From the NHS website re food poisoning (surprised me it can take as long as a few weeks):

The symptoms usually start within a few days of eating the food that caused the infection.

Sometimes they start after a few hours or not for a few weeks.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 02:28 PM  
Link to this Post
olgaandcoda
Imagineer

olgaandcoda's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
On the contrary 4 hours is normally too short an incubation period for the bacteria. It's more likely to be at least 12 hours and can be several days.
That's a revelation to me, although I can't remember any time having a dodgy takeaway! Thankfully!

A woman died a few years ago from dodgy turkey at a pub Christmas meal, a few others were taken ill, but survived! Tragic to actually die of a meal! The pub was fined I think! (Hornchurch, Essex)

PS, I cook everything really well, the smoke alarm test! Not much can survive my cooking methods! I never do rare meat! Mainly because we don't like it. any fresh food is checked over to make sure it still is fresh. I am severely allergic to penicillin and bread and cheese are checked thoroughly by my husband before I eat them. It doesn't always show up, so we don't risk it.

Edited at 02:32 PM.
olgaandcoda is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
djewkes
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by munmun View Post
Dont do it! Dont eat the batter, you will regret it!
Too late and the batter is the best bit...

May 2012 3 weeks Highgate villa, RPR & Barefoot Beach Resort
May 2010 2 weeks The Point Orlando Resort & Clearwater
djewkes is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:00 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

Originally Posted by djewkes View Post
Too late and the batter is the best bit...
munmun is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 04:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
In all honesty I don't think many take away meals are fresher than what I buy from the chiiled cabinet. In my area (Hillingdon), the hygiene ratings for many Indian take aways and restaurants are dire and I wouldn't eat food from them for free.
Then I refer my learned gentleman to my previous statement regarding the quality of takeaway restaurants in his area.

Seriously, if the takeaways in your area are cooking the meals 4 or 5 days beforehand and then simply nuking them on the day then no wonder you've decided to give them up. I would too. I use takeaways where they cook the food there and then. Most are sit-down restaurants (well, except for the chippy I use) that will also deliver the food to you.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 04:44 PM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:06 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Then I refer my learned gentleman to my previous statement regarding the quality of takeaway restaurants in his area.

Seriously, if the takeaways in your area are cooking the meals 4 or 5 days beforehand and then simply nuking them on the day then no wonder you've decided to give them up. I would too. I use takeaways where they cook the food there and then. Most are sit-down restaurants (well, except for the chippy I use) that will also deliver the food to you.
How many restaurants or take aways would you actually know are cooking the food fresh to order. Perhaps some of the better quality ones maybe, but I would be surprised if many curry restaurants and take aways only cooked food fresh to order.

I would suggest my learned friend is deluded if he believes the food he is served is cooked there and then, perhaps he is confusing the word 'cooked' with 'reheated.'
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Oct 19, 06:31 PM  
Link to this Post
munmun
Imagineer

How many restaurants or take aways would you actually know are cooking the food fresh to order. Perhaps some of the better quality ones maybe, but I would be surprised if many curry restaurants and take aways only cooked food fresh to order.

I would suggest my learned friend is deluded if he believes the food he is served is cooked there and then, perhaps he is confusing the word 'cooked' with 'reheated.'
A la ping rather than la carte ?
Old 16 Oct 19, 10:49 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2

I know most of the takeaways around where I live cook the food to order. Some of them have open kitchens where you can see the food being cooked there and then. I mean, I can see the fish and chips being put into the fryer and cooked. I can see the pizzas being rolled out and the toppings added before being put into the oven. I can see my local chinese stir frying the meat and vegetables and boiling the rice.

As I mentioned earlier, I suspect they prepare things like the sauces beforehand (probably days beforehand). And I'd expect them to prepare the ingredients beforehand - chop vegetables and meat, etc. But they certainly cook the meal there and then.

Again, to repeat what I already said, if I thought all the takeaway restaurants around me were simply reheating meals they had cooked up to a week beforehand then I'd give up takeaway meals too. In my experience, most don't reheat previously cooked meals.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 10:55 AM.
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List