Additional Support Needs & DAS Help & advice

Old 16 Jun 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile DAS for severe IBS ?

I've tried to search threads and Google but cant find any info.

My son 16 suffers with IBS and has really bad flare ups.
Last years holiday he missed out on so much as he was scared to move far from toilet.
At the parks he would start to queue but would often have to leave queue for toilet missing the ride. Even missed lots of character m&g because of this, it's sad to see the photos without him in them.
Anyway just wondered if he would be able to apply for a DAS card and would it benefit him at all. Its playing on his mind for next visit already and says he might as well stay in villa than visit parks.

I don't know much about DAS ,we had one a few years ago as my daughter had just broken her collar bone but we never used it as she ended up being fine to queue.

I know they don't ask for medical evidence but my son is under the dr and takes medication.

Thanks in advance
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Mobile

Anyone ?
Old 16 Jun 19, 03:39 PM  
Link to this Post
JellyEllieBean
Imagineer

Oh bless him, I don’t really see why he can’t use it, the point of the card is to make the Disney experience more easily accessible for you and your family. They don’t ask why you need the card, lots of disabilities are invisible. I’ve not used it, but I hope someone can come along and explain how DAS might help your son so he feels more confident and can enjoy himself xxx
Old 16 Jun 19, 04:01 PM  
Link to this Post
JanetteP
Imagineer

I have UC and I get a DAS pass whilst we're in Florida. I have a "Can't Wait" card which I always have with me, but they really don't need to see it. I took a letter from my Consultant too, but didn't need it, just explain the situation and don't be embarrassed. It really will make a difference to your son. Lots of information on Chrohns & Colitis UK which is where I got my card and key for toilets, don't be afraid to use the disabled toilets too - sometimes less embarrassing and no queue.

Janette
Dreamy Corner June 23, Potter’s Villa May 22, Shamu Villa Sep 22,AKL, HRH Lakeside Haven Sep 19, Lakeside Haven RPR May 19. White Blossom & Viburnum Villa Aug 18. SSR, Aurora Villa May 18. Kidani, RPR Champion Florida Villa 17, Staybridge Suites, White Blossom & Owens Villa 16 OKW, Champion Florida Villa & RPR 16, Magic Landings 15, Grand Reserve & HRH 2014, Tuscan Pines 12, Highgrove 09, Legacy Park 07, Indian Point 06 and 05, Florida Pines 04
Graduation Trip 2019
+ Trip Report 2018

Edited at 04:02 PM.
JanetteP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by JellyEllieBean View Post
Oh bless him, I don’t really see why he can’t use it, the point of the card is to make the Disney experience more easily accessible for you and your family. They don’t ask why you need the card, lots of disabilities are invisible. I’ve not used it, but I hope someone can come along and explain how DAS might help your son so he feels more confident and can enjoy himself xxx
Thanks so much for reply
Old 16 Jun 19, 05:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by JanetteParker View Post
I have UC and I get a DAS pass whilst we're in Florida. I have a "Can't Wait" card which I always have with me, but they really don't need to see it. I took a letter from my Consultant too, but didn't need it, just explain the situation and don't be embarrassed. It really will make a difference to your son. Lots of information on Chrohns & Colitis UK which is where I got my card and key for toilets, don't be afraid to use the disabled toilets too - sometimes less embarrassing and no queue.
Thanks for reply, I will take a look at that website,thanks.
It's really difficult at his age as hes really embarrassed about it.
He had to be taken out of his GCSE as he was so ill with it,spent a long time in toilet which was awful experience for him.
I think I'm going to have a chat with him, a DAS and using disabled toilets didn't even cross our minds last year but would have been a huge help.
Old 16 Jun 19, 08:00 PM  
Link to this Post
skelfbsfb
Imagineer

skelfbsfb's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Hi I have Crohns and I get the DAS whenever I visit disney. Just explain to them and they should be able to assist you. Make sure all people who will be added to the DAS as theyhave to be present to be added.
2003:Quality Inn Plaza 2004:Howard Johnston 2005:Sheraton 2006:POR 2007:AKL 2008:BWV-OKW 2009:BWV-VB-RPH 2010:Villa-HRH 2011:BWV-HRH-VB 2012:VB-OKW-BWV-HRH 2013:OKW-BWV-HRH 2014:OKW-BLT-HRH 2015:HRH-OKW-BWV-PVB 2016:OKW-HRH-BWV-PVB 2017: BWV - PVB 2018: BWV - PVB 2019: BWV - CC
skelfbsfb is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by skelfbsfb View Post
Hi I have Crohns and I get the DAS whenever I visit disney. Just explain to them and they should be able to assist you. Make sure all people who will be added to the DAS as theyhave to be present to be added.
Thanks that's really helpful
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Ariel88
slightly serious Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 3
I have UC too and have used the DAS whenever it's been really bad. One thing I've noticed in the US regarding disabled toilets is that they're usually not separate like over here. Most US restrooms will have a larger disabled stall with a sink etc. They're much better for privacy though as I find the regular toilet stalls over there not private at all!
Ariel88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jun 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Bee happy
VIP Dibber

Bee happy's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Ariel88 View Post
I have UC too and have used the DAS whenever it's been really bad. One thing I've noticed in the US regarding disabled toilets is that they're usually not separate like over here. Most US restrooms will have a larger disabled stall with a sink etc. They're much better for privacy though as I find the regular toilet stalls over there not private at all!
Thank you