dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Seats in Immigration Hall

Both my wife and I struggle with standing for too long (I have arthritis in my knees and my wife was medically discharged from the RAF - but her disablility isn't severe enough to warrant a blue badge).

We know how to work around our issues so theme parks aren't going to be a problem but the immigration hall is something I'm a little worried about. I don't think our issues warrant a sunflower lanyard (and I wouldn't want to take anything away from people with real issues) but does anyone know if it's possible for one of your party to seat while going through immigration? I know it's a long shot but I thought we could work through it by taking it in turns to sit down if the queue is a long one.

Failing that we'll just take some painkillers as the plane is about to land and power through it.

Thanks for any advice people can offer.

Edited at 02:38 PM.
dpmcalister is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Anyone?
Old 13 Aug 19, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
hipthehippo
Imagineer

We haven't been through MCO since last year and from what I can see on here, things have changed quite a lot. I'm not sure how much help you get now if you have a sunflower lanyard. What I would say is, there is no reason for you not to have a sunflower lanyard - many disabilities are hidden and you won't be taking anything away from anyone else. I have chronic fatigue and am often in a lot of pain, also don't currently qualify for a blue badge, but used the lanyard last year. It made a huge difference both to myself and my very anxious DD who was worried about how I was going to cope with standing for so long. As far as I remember there was no seating available and people were sitting on the floor last year.

I'm not sure when you're planning to go - in a while if that's what your countdown is showing? If so, I can report back after we go this year if you'd like?

Growing old is mandatory, but, growing up is optional
"Live a Life that Matters" - Michael Josephson - RIP Dad 20.07.05
2006, 2007 - Rolling Hills / 2008 - Villa - can't remember! / 2009, 2010 - Sunset Lakes / 2011 - Indian Creek / 2012 - Sunset Lakes / 2013 - Emerald Island / 2014, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2023 - Sunset Lakes

Edited at 08:16 PM. Reason: Additional info
hipthehippo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
That would be great, thanks.
Old 13 Aug 19, 08:53 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsEgg
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

When we went in May there were no seats, there were kids collapsed/asleep on the sides with one parent with the other one in the queue. They were told to move a few times but nothing was actioned, we were in there over 2 hours and it was far too much for younger kids, my heart went out to them.

I did also notice that wheel chair users were also being pushed in the same queue, perhaps maybe an option and you could take it in turns to sit down?
MrsEgg is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Aug 19, 09:09 PM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Thanks but we don't need wheelchairs and I would feel really bad about using them when there are people with real needs.
Old 13 Aug 19, 10:33 PM  
Link to this Post
JudeB
Imagineer

JudeB's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Mobile

There aren’t any seats in the immigration hall. You can request wheelchairs as previously suggested. My mum has arthritis and although we had almost an hour to wait, she managed ok. As you say, she took painkillers about 30 mins before landing. Hopefully you’ll not have to wait too long and will soon be on your way to a fab holiday!
Old 14 Aug 19, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mickeyspal
Imagineer

Mobile

Could you maybe take one of those little 3 legged folding fishing stools with you , not the comfiest thing to sit on ,but better than nothing. Not sure if they would let you use it though. Immigration is not the friendliest of places
mickeyspal is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Aug 19, 09:15 AM  
Link to this Post
dpmcalister
Apprentice Imagineer

dpmcalister's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Mobile

Yeah, thought about a folding stool but VA said (via online chat) that they wouldn't be allowed as hand luggage.
Old 14 Aug 19, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

I thought there were a couple of seats on the right hand side of the immigration hall next to the restrooms. Previous posts would suggest I'm wrong (or the seats have been removed) - but if there were / are any, it was literally two seats.

As has already been said, expect to see tired people sitting on the floor if the queue is long.

To the OP - if you're arriving on a flight that you suspect will clash with other international arrivals [so a likely long queue] do consider requesting wheelchair assistance. Recent posts suggest you'll still be in the same long queue, but will be sitting down.

I suspect the idea of one wheelchair between two will not work either. The wheelchair pusher will be told which passenger to collect and if they start letting said passenger swap whose in the wheelchair they leave themselves / their employer open to all sorts of litigation should the passenger who requested assistance fall and injure themselves.
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List