Notices
Christmas Temporary forum for Christmas seasonal topics

Old 29 Aug 19, 02:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Baggie Bird
Imagineer

Originally Posted by snowbelle View Post
Sometimes I am incredulous of posts and the expectations and sheer cheek of families and guests , I have led a sheltered life with a very small family and no family dynamics.

Its your day , not theirs and if it does'nt suit them it's their issue Not yours.

I remember a work colleague taking out a loan to buy Christmas presents as he had been told by his family they would'nt speak to him again if they did'nt get presents , I had never heard anything like it !

Totally agree with the above, they sound really rude.

What sort of family insists on one of them going into debt to buy presents with threats of not speaking to them again I have stopped buying gifts for some family members who I rarely see and if they have taken offence then tough.

1999 Villa Davenport Lakes, 2001 Villa Windsor Palms
2003 with friends in LBV 2005/2006, 2007 Villa Southern Dunes, 2008 Villa Greater Groves, 2009 Bally's Vegas Villa - Hampton Lakes, 2010 Blue Heron Beach Resort, 2011 Dibb Townhouse Regal Palms 2015 Heron Villa High Grove
Baggie Bird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 02:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Rebelrebel
Imagineer

Give them one of these and show them the kettle
Rebelrebel is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
parisdisneyfan
Imagineer

I thought my MIL was bad but this takes the biscuit!

For the past few years we have gone away with MIL, Sil and both families - 10 or 11 of us, this is our new tradition. Prior to that MIL and FIL alternated between us and Sil, she never cooked and will not help but we have to accommodate her eating foibles

She gets a free holiday and week with us all so she eats when and what we are doing although obviously I don't plan something that makes her ill. She does moan but we all ignore her and Sil tells her outright what she can do if she doesn't like it.

As someone else said I feel angry on your behalf - do what you always do, buffet is fine and you get to spend more time with your guests (assuming that isn't a bad thing ) If they don't like it then go and dump themselves on some other poor relative!
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:14 PM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
You are definitely not being mean but very accomodating when they invited themselves to join you ! Stick to what you normally do and over the next few months keep mentioning that you are doing your traditional Christmas Day Buffet and if they are that bothered they will hopefully uninvite themselves. If not suggest they bring a dessert for everyone, whatever they want to drink and a cooked turkey if they want to eat any on the day.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Jan
Imagineer

Jan's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
I agree with everything already said. Good luck. Don’t be pressured into it.
Jan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 03:50 PM  
Link to this Post
fefifoe
Apprentice Imagineer

fefifoe's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
100 % agree with everyone else, do not change your plans , if they dont like what you are having then they are free to go elsewhere. x
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:10 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Thanks for all the replies
I do have a tendency to do things my own way rather than what is maybe expected so wasn't sure if this was one of those times when I should be more accommodating of the norm but it seems not
Its given me the confidence to stick to my plans and not give in.
I'll give them the options I'm happy to do and they can chose which if any they wish to do. Maybe not getting their own way will put them off coming I can hope right?
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:17 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Although I agree with all of this, I do think whose relative they are has a bearing. If it was my mother it'd be handled differently (or by someone different to be more exact) than if it was my MIL for example.

Originally Posted by mandco View Post
Thanks for all the replies
I do have a tendency to do things my own way rather than what is maybe expected so wasn't sure if this was one of those times when I should be more accommodating of the norm but it seems not
Its given me the confidence to stick to my plans and not give in.
I'll give them the options I'm happy to do and they can chose which if any they wish to do. Maybe not getting their own way will put them off coming I can hope right?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mandco
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Although I agree with all of this, I do think whose relative they are has a bearing. If it was my mother it'd be handled differently (or by someone different to be more exact) than if it was my MIL for example.
I know what you mean.
If I had invited them then I would do a xmas dinner as that would be the expectation but as they invited themselves I'll be sticking to doing it my way.
mandco is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Aug 19, 05:03 AM  
Link to this Post
littlelish0544
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Rebelrebel View Post

Give them one of these and show them the kettle
This is the most hilarious thing I have read on the dibb for ages, brilliant!

Is it wrong I am wondering if it is an actual product as I have decided in the last few days I am not hosting Christmas this year!?