Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Nov 19, 11:43 AM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Japan - Who to book with?

My parents would like to go to Japan next year and asked me to help with some research. They want to go to Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and spend about 3 weeks there. They don’t want to go to Disney.

My first question is whether those of you who’ve been, how did you do it? Did you DIY or use a company to organise things for you? Are there any recommendations to get them started?
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Mobile

DIY. Booked flights as soon as they came online. Look at using JR pass for the bullet train and rail.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 02:39 PM  
Link to this Post
holidayforever
Serious Dibber

Did DIY last year to Japan , had 6 nights in Tokyo then did a cruise that went right round Japan save lumping luggage round Japan. Did look into doing a land Tour but a lot of them seemed on the go all the time , did talked to friends that did land Tours and they said it was intense.
holidayforever is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

DIY also. We split our holiday by staying in Tokyo and Kyoto with day trips from both. We bought the JR Rail Pass.

From Kyoto we did day trips to Hiroshima, Nara and Himeji Castle. Travel around Japan is really easy - everything is in English at stations and the people are very helpful also. I suppose if you travel to remote areas it would be different.

I would strongly recommend booking a hotel next to a main railway station in Tokyo if they go DIY as that is how you get about everywhere.

We are library members and borrowed Japan travel books to plan our itinerary. There is loads of information online - check out japan-guide/ and japan.travel/en/ for starters.

Edited at 05:39 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:35 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

Just keep in mind it is the Olympics next year there, so unless thats that they are going for them pick the time carefully as hotels etc will be pretty full already. A tour may be better as they block book rooms etc.
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:39 PM  
Link to this Post
kateb78
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Thanks all for your help so far. They hadn’t considered a cruise, so that’s an interesting addition to the list of things to think about!

The olympics definitely figured in their plans so they’re definitely not planning to travel until about a week after the games finish.

Interesting that everyone seems to favour DIY. I was worried that it may be too complicated for them to do alone but sounds like it’s the way to go!

All other ideas gratefully received!
kateb78 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 06:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by kateb78 View Post
Thanks all for your help so far. They hadn’t considered a cruise, so that’s an interesting addition to the list of things to think about!

The olympics definitely figured in their plans so they’re definitely not planning to travel until about a week after the games finish.

Interesting that everyone seems to favour DIY. I was worried that it may be too complicated for them to do alone but sounds like it’s the way to go!

All other ideas gratefully received!
As above we did it ourselves and we are no spring chickens (60’s)! In fact we loved it so much we are going back next year again.

I have read August/September is very hot and humid. We went in May this year and it was hot enough.

Edited at 06:46 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Laughing Minnie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We have booked a British Airways flight and hotel package. We have also booked Airbnb for part of the trip and booked JR railpass and tours separately.
Laughing Minnie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 07:50 PM  
Link to this Post
f1girly
Imagineer

Bucking the trend, we have been looking at an semi-organised trip through Wendy Woo, they have a very good reputation and the girl we met at Wendy Woo was super helpful, so maybe worth looking at them as well. I don't know anyone else who has been there so am also happy to hear anyone's experiences.
f1girly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Nov 19, 08:14 PM  
Link to this Post
THE WIZARD
VIP Dibber

We too are looking at Wendy Woo, that way semi organised and I can look at booking our flights using airmiles. I have done several organised tours in New England & loved them as it was nice not having to lug our own luggage around it was always taken for us & a big bonus to turn up in your room and your stuff is already there for you.