Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Oct 19, 07:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Sazzle114
Gone all Goofy

Mobile 25 sleeps to go. First timers - any hints/tips/recommendations

Only 25 sleeps to go until we take our 2 daughters (7 & 11) to Disney. We’re staying on international drive and have a 14 day Disney pass. Not planning on going everyday as also booked Kennedy space centre for one day. We have a hire car. Hit me with your recommendations and avoids. Yay. Exciting
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Procrastinator
Imagineer

Mobile

Do not stress if you can't do everything. Better to do 50% of the parks and be happy than do 80% and be rushing around stressed.

Have a great time!
Procrastinator is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:56 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Excitement must be at fever pitch !

I can’t help you with the Disney bit as we no longer go (my boys are 17, 13 and well over 54 inches). I have never even used the newer fast pass system... but others will doubtless give good advice.

1. Does your hotel have courtesy shuttles? Parking at Disney hurts and on certain days, it may be wise to use those shuttles, especially if your hotel is last pick up or first drop off. Even a shuttle in and an Uber home may pay dividends!

2, Does your hotel have complimentary breakfasts. That alone saves loads. My kids pig out at breakfast!

3. Theme park lunches are very expensive. I guess it’s around $12 for a Burger, Pizza or Wrap with fries and Soda. It ain’t healthy either. If you have a fridge, then it is worth getting a small rucksack and putting a couple of sandwich boxes (with sandwiches etc) up the middle and flanking them either side with chilled, or even better, frozen water bottles. We then put fruit, snacks etc on top of that. Or you can go to Walmart on Turkey Lake road on your way in. It saves a fortune.

4. We always eat out at night, even when staying in a villa as we now invariably do. Have a look at the menus and work out which ones you like. We always have a spreadsheet on which we put the restaurant, the happy ours, what they entail. Most do cocktails at $5 or good deals on starters.

5. Remember that if you have paid to put your car in a Disney park, you can go away, do something else and return to any other Disney Park, possibly after eating your evening meal. Just show your receipt.

6. Parking at Universal City Walk is free after 1800. City walk is very well worth a free look!

7. Don’t over do it in your first few days. Learn how to pace yourselves, but don’t under do it either. Just have a chat at the end of the day and canvass opinions.
For instance you can be in at rope drop, out by lunch to do other things or simply chill , then return in the evening. In our 10 US visits, we have never once stayed from Rope drop to closing.. and we hit it pretty hard!

8. There are plenty of Disney outlets and tatt shops on IDrive. Everything bought within Disney carries the expected Disney premium. Shop wisely.

Look beyond the parks as you have a hire car.
Airboat ride?
Horse riding? (My kids had never done it.. but found they loved it.
Beach day?
You can always split a day into part park, part something else.

As a good general pointer, food on IDrive and LBV are dramatically better value than in any park or location franchised to a park. Whilst I do not know how you budget, I would most certainly consider all of these.. and they are all easily accessible to you.

Golden Coral. If you haven’t done it, you can’t criticise it. $15 Or so and you can eat like a redneck! Food can be surprisingly good and if you are cunning, then you check in around a 1/4 of an hour before they switch to the more expensive and better quality evening menu. That is when the steaks come out.

2. Bahama Breeze. Part of a chain, but very good value and with decent happy hour. The Chicken dish with salad including straws, mandarins, grapes, almonds, feta etc is awesome .cocktails at HH..$5

3. Longhorn Steakhouse. Same chain as BB. VERY GOOD VALUE ON steaks.

4. Olive Garden. same chain, but Italian. Not a fan any more, but others are.

5. Roadhouse. Same chain. Love their Blood Orange or Pineapple Ciders. Food also very good.

6. Sweet Tomato.

7. The amazing Cheesecake Factory in millennium mall. I don’t rate the entrees particularly.. but the Cheesecakes are amazing. Next to it is..

8. PF Chang’s Chinese. Great food, great value and some (us) go there before popping over to no7 for Dessert.

9. Cici ...Average Pizza buffet but remarkably priced with vouchers invariably available.

10. Rainforest cafe. Ok food, high prices, but great theming. Be prepared to wait!

11. TGI Friday, 5 Guys, etc etc etc. They fill a hole.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:37 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 07:57 PM  
Link to this Post
FlorayG
Imagineer

FlorayG's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 9

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Mobile

Take your first day really chilled and don't plan too much because you're all going to be really tired. Start slow and build up
FlorayG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
kingstefan21
Excited about Disney

kingstefan21's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Mobile

Other than enjoy every minute of it as it goes fast I’d say get the balance right between parks and having a relaxing time. Enjoy (from someone that got home Sunday and is already pricing a return!)
Homewood Suites 2020
kingstefan21 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 08:48 PM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Ensure your ESTA's are in date.

Travel insurance in place.

The above are basics but some people have been refused travel for no ESTA.

Buy a Landry card for $25 and get this refunded on your first visit to a participating restaurant eg Rainforest Café (Disney Springs and Animal Kingdom), Trex (Disney Springs) and Yak and Yeti (Animal Kingdom). When purchasing make sure you put in your Disney birthday eg when you are there for a further $25 off another meal.

Take plenty of rest periods and drink plenty of fluids. Iced water is free in Disney parks.

Above all enjoy!
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Sazzle114
Gone all Goofy

Mobile

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. You have all given some great ideas. Seems like the basics of it is to not try and do it all. I’ll have a look at the Landry card now. Thanks again
Old 9 Oct 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Get up super early at least once for each park. Avoid EMH mornings as you can’t use them but get to your Disney park 45 minutes, even better an hour, before it opens. The time you make up is well worth the investment. Conversely make sure you have a few sleep in mornings. Lack of sleep is a killer. Make time to swim and relax and be a family. Don’t miss. Happily Ever After; Fantasmic. Generally. Hungry people need feeding. Hot people need cooling. Thirsty people need watering.

Personally for a first trip I’d concentrate on Disney and get my money’s worth out of those tickets. You’ve paid a lot for them.

Enjoy!
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 10:10 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Good advice above regarding restaurants. We don't drink alcohol in our group when we eat out so we don't bother with happy hours or cocktails but we do sign up for email clubs for restaurants we plan to use and that can get you some money off coupons such as 20% off Perkins or free starters or desserts at olive garden, longhorn, bahama breeze, bjs brewhouse and Others. Chilis does a 2 for 25 so 1 starter, 2 mains and a dessert. Savings to be had incl coupon books you can pick up over there. Enjoy.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Oct 19, 10:15 PM  
Link to this Post
First timer loz
Having Dinner with Goofy

Mobile

It’s our first time in 25 days as well ! 2 children staying off site ! So I’m going to be following this thread !
First timer loz is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List