Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Sep 17, 08:36 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Off to university - gift ideas

Like 1000s of others my daughter is off to university soon and I'd like to put together a box of gifts. Some funny, some practical and some to remind her of home etc

Has anyone got any ideas?
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:37 AM  
Link to this Post
Voldemort
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I give mine a Tesco gift card for food (I hope) 😂
Voldemort is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
AlisonB
Imagineer

A collage of photos in a clip frame would be good - photos of home and family - some funny, some poignant. Worked for my 2 girls!
AlisonB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

A great idea but she's already made one herself.
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:51 AM  
Link to this Post
tiny loz
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

My daughter went yesterday 😭 and I'm supposed to fly Thu it was such a emotional day... i made a box up toilet roll kitchen roll potatoe peeler etc then a cheeky bottle of wine and fairy lights
tiny loz is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 08:53 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Voldemort View Post
I give mine a Tesco gift card for food (I hope) 😂
I think for most students that would be brilliant - my daughter would stick it in her purse and forget all about it. She's lucky in so much as her father is insisting on a very generous budget so financial gifts won't be so necessary.
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:27 AM  
Link to this Post
Jaybeez
Imagineer

Jaybeez's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 1
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

My daughter is about to start the 3rd year of a 4 year course. About a week after she has started I always post her a home made hamper, I usually include chocolate, green tea, little stationary bits and toiletries, basically anything that I can fit in the box and will make her smile 😀
Jaybeez is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:29 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

When dd started two years ago, I felt like I'd set up a second home with all the stuff I bought - so didn't feel the need for a gift as such.
I bought a tin box on eBay called a Broken Human box and filled it with first aid stuff.
A friend made her up a basket of food bits and essentials - tea bags, chocolate, biscuits and the like
Soon as we got to campus, I bought her a uni hoodie from the shop and then after unpacking everything, I bought her first asda shop
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:37 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

From deciding to go to taking her next Saturday we've had 4 weeks to get ready. I'm an emotional wreck. Trying not to get upset in front of her and thinking practically about what she needs and to get her settled. I've done all the obvious stuff but also tried to include smells and pictures of special things to remind her of home. I've put a fleece blanket daft as it sounds washed in my normal fabric conditioner. I know it won't last but she might be able to snuggle up in it when she's feeling a bit bewildered. Does she cook? I'm doing a little list of simple cheap easy recipies of things I cook at home. A photo of our cat she says she's going to miss her more than her brother😂
Old 10 Sep 17, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
FSnug
Very Serious Dibber

Ds is about to start year 2. Last year we sent him off with supermarket gift cards- he forgot he had them and I ended up using them when he came home. His emergency cash came home with him and I now have old £5 notes to change at bank! A favourite photo could be put onto a cushion - functional as well, e.g. Photobox (especially when deals are on). DS appreciated some rubbishy comfort food e.g. Crisps. His fleecy dressing gown was a useful second layer to put on bed. Also easy wash / dry clothes, bedding... colour catchers for the washing in a useful gift basket may be a useful consideration, especially if bed linen is new and sheets dark coloured?
... maybe one day?
FSnug is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List