Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Sep 17, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Stardust5
Imagineer

My nephew is off to uni next week so I made him a basket of goodies - crisps, hot chocolates, packets of nice biscuits, chocolate bars, packets of chocolates, chocolate spreads, cider, things that are a bit of a luxury but also a treat.
Stardust5 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:16 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Thanks for the replies - some great ideas to ponder on. I've got silly things like a geordie/English dictionary ( she's off to Newcastle), I've got her a lucky 6 pence, some nice stationary, student cook book (don't think she'll use).
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by FSnug View Post
His emergency cash came home with him and I now have old £5 notes to change at bank!
Earlier this summer I found a stash of old £5 notes - your local post office will accept them as payment. I.e. You can't exchange them but can buy stamps etc with them.

Might be easier than returning to bank of England
bluedave is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Any bank will let you pay in old notes
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
CazP
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bluedave View Post
Thanks for the replies - some great ideas to ponder on. I've got silly things like a geordie/English dictionary ( she's off to Newcastle), I've got her a lucky 6 pence, some nice stationary, student cook book (don't think she'll use).
They sound great
WDW Oct 1991 HoJo DLP June 2001 Cheyenne DLP Santa Fe Feb 2003 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2008 WDW Xmas 2008 CBR DLP Santa Fe Oct 2010 DLP Santa Fe Oct 2012 Ramada Int. Drive Aug 2013 DLP Cheyenne Oct 2014 IDrive & OKW July/August 2016 Oct 2016 Cheyenne DLP Aug 2017 Fairfield Inn July 2018 Newport Bay
CazP is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 11:57 AM  
Link to this Post
dot
Apprentice Imagineer

my dd found the most useful thing I put in her gift pack was a door stop and shots glasses and a bottle of booze, the door stop meant she could jam her door open in a long corridor of other newbys and feel part of it all and people popped in to chat. the shots and booze speak for them self.
dot is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Welly
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by CazP View Post
When dd started two years ago, I felt like I'd set up a second home with all the stuff I bought - so didn't feel the need for a gift as such.
I bought a tin box on eBay called a Broken Human box and filled it with first aid stuff.
A friend made her up a basket of food bits and essentials - tea bags, chocolate, biscuits and the like
Soon as we got to campus, I bought her a uni hoodie from the shop and then after unpacking everything, I bought her first asda shop
I gave my DD the broken human tin with medicine in too! Also an emergency £20 note. It was supposed to be jokey but she got really run down by week 3 so was a useful gift too. Think it's quite common for them to start picking up colds etc as they party/study/hardly sleep.

I didn't do a gift box as such, did a huge shop when dropped her off which saw her through until end of October. My tip regarding the food shop is to get one of those under bed storage boxes (got one from The range near her halls) and put non perishables in there to stop them going walk about.

Second the door stop, very useful. After drop off we left the floor she was on £50 to get pizza take out, that seemed to break the ice too as they all ate together on the first night. Good luck parents, it is very emotional. We left our DD 150 miles from home, and this Thursday I'm flying her across the Atlantic to leave her in the USA for her sandwich year, think that will be hard too.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain
Welly is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:19 PM  
Link to this Post
bluedave
Imagineer

Originally Posted by dot View Post
my dd found the most useful thing I put in her gift pack was a door stop and shots glasses and a bottle of booze, the door stop meant she could jam her door open in a long corridor of other newbys and feel part of it all and people popped in to chat. the shots and booze speak for them self.
We've got a panda bear door stop (!), shot glasses along with bottles of sourz. Got a tub of celebrations and swizzles to share. I've just got a box of 'extras' that she doesn't know about that I'm looking to fill - but that box is looking a bit bare.

Weve probably got far too much as it is and the extra box was probably overkill. But now I've started it...
Old 10 Sep 17, 12:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Shopperholic
Trainee Dibber

No ideas in what to include but my daughter enjoyed getting small boxes of bits and pieces posted to her, her first semester, and her friends loved the idea too.
Shopperholic is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Sep 17, 01:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Voldemort
Excited about Disney

My eldest is at Newcastle Uni too & is on the freshers welcome squad this year. Newcastle is a fantastic city - she'll have a great time. I was a student there myself. There are also some fab places for parents to stay & eat too 😄. We love visiting her there. Good luck to her.
Voldemort is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List