Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 28 Jul 19, 06:36 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

We had problems with the clarity a few years back before the USA had chip and pin, in fact only Walmart had them.
To be fair the Halifax sorted the problems on their side by unlocking the cards and gave us £80 for phone callls and time spent on phone.
They advised us not to use cash machines within Disney .think they were chase.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 06:54 PM  
Link to this Post
orlandonewbie
Excited about Disney

Mobile

We used ours last year for all of our transactions, mostly swiped, without any declines. We used it in Walmart first which was chip and pin. We did phone to let them know we were travelling and they sounded a bit baffled as to why we had called!
I wonder whether once you’ve used it with chip and pin it is more likely to accept being swiped?
orlandonewbie is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Originally Posted by Blue nose View Post
This.

Tell the retailer you need to use chip and pin. It's security protecting your card.

Or go the cash machine and get some cash out. You'll incur interest but better than being left without a payment method.
Buying a pretzel. I asked for chip and pin. In animal kingdom. Woman simply said "no chip and pin" took my card and swiped it.

I can't believe that some people have had no issues and have used chip and pin predominantly. Yet my experience has been the complete opposite.

Don't get me wrong. I check the Halifax app regularly during the day to check for fraudulent use. So would know if anything was amiss. But it just seems that some people get chip and pin and others like myself don't. Lol

Had no issues anywhere but Disney parks
Bobby_1970 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
whiteswan
Imagineer

whiteswan's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 2
Surprised to hear this as we go for 6-8 weeks at a time and never have a problem.

Remember if its causing you a head ache you can withdraw cash for free at wawa service stations and you get the best exchange rate.

Dave
whiteswan is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 07:03 PM  
Link to this Post
The Hulk
Imagineer

We've had this card for years,used all over the world and never had an issue. In USA sometimes they do chip and pin,other times they don't. We've also used it contactless. This is more than likely due to what type of card terminal the retailer has,or even the cashier,rather than an issue with your card.
Las Vegas Oct 14/Jul 16/June 17/Sep 18/May 19
USA east-west June 16
The Hulk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
JoJo88
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by BevS97 View Post
I’ve mostly used chip and pin. I’ve been advised at the till to insert my card by staff members.
Same as you Bev. I had one issue which was at a service plaza on the way up from Miami, contactless didn’t work. I then used chip & pin for that transaction and it was fine.
JoJo88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Bobby_1970
Chilling at Carribean Beach

Mobile

Just bought a fridge magnet. Explained to the woman on the till that I wanted to use chip and pin as it's more secure. She said "we don't do it" to which I replied "really?". Something doesn't seem right here. Lol
Bobby_1970 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Trebor1
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Bobby_1970 View Post
Just bought a fridge magnet. Explained to the woman on the till that I wanted to use chip and pin as it's more secure. She said "we don't do it" to which I replied "really?". Something doesn't seem right here. Lol
Not very good at all and a risk to card cloning
Trebor1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 09:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Only had one issue - entering MK, said it didn't work at car park barrier - so they let us in free - worked perfectly before and after.

I always check card app daily - not much effort - any anomalies will be sorted by bank, so really safe way to spend. Halifax put a stop on my car down year on a send in a supermarket I made (must have bought some fruit!) - a phone call soon fixed it, and they more than compensated me for my time / expense. Good CS from Halifax there.
2012 Fairfield Inn IDrive 2013 Highland Reserve 2014 Old Key West 2015 Old Key West / Fantasy World 2016 New York / Cypress Pointe 2016 Cane Island 2017 Old Key West 2018 Port Orleans Riverside 2019 Keys / Cruise / Rosen Inn IDrive 2022 Port Orleans Riverside 2023 Idrive / Cruise 2023 Universal Dockside
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 19, 10:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Jiljo
Imagineer

We had this problem a few months ago. I rang Halifax and they advised that if the store has chip and pin facility it must be used, if card is swiped it will be declined. But if they don’t have chip and pin then swiping is fine. Once the card has been declined it will be locked until Halifax are contacted.

See our new 360 degree tour, December 2019.

https://kuula.co/share/collection/7l...less=1&logo=-1

Jiljo is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List