Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 23 Sep 19, 10:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Insurance Advice

Hi Dibbers

First of all my thoughts go out to everyone caught up in the Thomas Cook collapse, whether you had holiday or flights booked with them or if you were Thomas Cook Staff, this must be a really stressful time for you.

My question is on the back of this, when is the best time for me to get insurance?

We are going to Disney next August. I am doing it DIY and know I need end supplier failure to protect against this sort of thing.

So far I have only booked myself in with Disney, plus tickets and free DDP with the intention of adding the rest of the family once we have flights booked.
It was my intention to take out insurance the minute I have booked my flights, but should I be getting it beforehand?

Last time I did DIY I took out insurance before I booked flights, upon booking flights my dates changed slightly and I had to pay the insurance an admin fee for them to amend the dates. I was hoping to avoid this by getting insurance after booking my flights so I have more concrete dates in place.
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Endeavour
VIP Dibber

You should book your insurance as soon as you've booked your holiday. Lots of people think it's okay as long as they book before departure, but booking insurance when booking holiday means you have cancellation cover during the whole period up to departure
Endeavour is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

You could do your research based on your best guess of when you will book flights so you know which policy you will buy and then buy your insurance as soon as you book your flights. Or just accept that a (presumably relatively small admin cost) is the cost of getting cover in place as soon as possible. How much are you in the hook for if you had to cancel now without insurance?

Depending on the admin cost you could also get quotes for an extra couple of days either side (assuming you are only likely to vary by a couple of days) it might be less than the admin cost. Or even just check out prices for annual cover. May not be that much more.
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Miss_Shell
Imagineer

Mobile

Do it now.
Orlando & Bahamas 1992 - Orlando 1998 - Orlando 1999 - Orlando 2000 - Polynesian Resort - Orlando 2000 - Orlando 2001 - Orlando 2003 - Kissimmee Villa - Orlando 2005 - Christmas - Orlando 2010 - Orlando 2011 - Port Orleans Riverside - Orlando 2012 - Disney Coronado Springs - HHN - Orlando & Hollywood 2014 - Orlando 2016- Disney's Coronado Springs and Universal's Cabana Bay Honeymoon 2017 - Disney's Port Orleans Riverside
Miss_Shell is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:01 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mickie View Post
You could do your research based on your best guess of when you will book flights so you know which policy you will buy and then buy your insurance as soon as you book your flights. Or just accept that a (presumably relatively small admin cost) is the cost of getting cover in place as soon as possible. How much are you in the hook for if you had to cancel now without insurance?

Depending on the admin cost you could also get quotes for an extra couple of days either side (assuming you are only likely to vary by a couple of days) it might be less than the admin cost. Or even just check out prices for annual cover. May not be that much more.
Only paid my deposit with Disney so far so only £50.
Will be paying for flights using credit card.
Just wondering if it will make any difference if I take out insurance directly after booking my flights?
Firekat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:06 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Endeavour View Post
You should book your insurance as soon as you've booked your holiday. Lots of people think it's okay as long as they book before departure, but booking insurance when booking holiday means you have cancellation cover during the whole period up to departure
I get what you're saying, but all I've booked so far is the Disney part with just me in the room so have only put down £50 deposit.

It's not like I've booked a package or several parts of my holiday and I'm putting it off till just before we fly.

Just wondering if anyone knows if it makes a difference whether I take out insurance now or literally the same day I book the flights, I won't be booking any other part of the holiday until I book my flights.
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Before I had annual cover with my Bank I used to take out insurance before I paid the final balance as before that the excess would wipe out the deposit anyway. As long as you take it out before any major expenditure and pay any deposits on a credit card I personally don't see it being a problem.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:22 AM  
Link to this Post
Firekat
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Mel49 View Post
Before I had annual cover with my Bank I used to take out insurance before I paid the final balance as before that the excess would wipe out the deposit anyway. As long as you take it out before any major expenditure and pay any deposits on a credit card I personally don't see it being a problem.
Thanks Mel, my concern is that the flights will be a major expenditure as I will be paying for them up front. I plan on booking with Virgin direct as we have air miles to use.
Old 23 Sep 19, 11:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Mel49
Imagineer

Mel49's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by Firekat View Post
Thanks Mel, my concern is that the flights will be a major expenditure as I will be paying for them up front. I plan on booking with Virgin direct as we have air miles to use.
We're normally BA fly-drive so just pay deposit but in your case I would take the insurance out when you book the flights at the latest.
Mel49 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Sep 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickie
Apprentice Imagineer

Mickie's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Mobile

Can’t see that it makes any difference if you wait and take out insurance once the major expenses ie flights start being paid for. Like you I’d be happy to “risk” losing the £50 deposit til then.

As always the other risk is that one of you needs some minor (or major) medical treatment before then so your insurance costs go up. How much was the admin fee last time?
Mickie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List