Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 24 Jan 21, 09:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Dom and Sarah
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Cards and Splitting Bills...

Hi All,

I know this subject has been absolutely flogged to death, but my question is slightly different.

We are off the Orlando at Christmas now, having moved our holiday for the third time (I can’t believe how many Dibbers are going to be there for Crimbo).

We are going as a groups of 8, from three different households. We are taking our Caxton card as we used these before and they seemed okay. We aren’t sure what to do about splitting the bill at breakfast/dinner, and how is best to do this with pre-paid cards. We aren’t too fussy with equal splits, and thought about all getting Caxton cards, one person paying at dinner, then transferring the money when we get back to our Villa. I don’t think you can transfer to other accounts on Caxton though, only back to the master account.

Has anyone else ever had this before and come up with ingenious solutions? I’m guessing cold hard cash is probably a thing of the past now, especially with C-19 still lingering in the background...
Dom and Sarah is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

We went with my BFF a few years ago and there was no problem splitting the bill. You just tell your server at the start what’s what so they can split as they go along.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
figment05
Very Serious Dibber

Just ask the restuaraunt to split it amongst the different cards. I do this all the time with work collegues when away.
figment05 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Dom and Sarah
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Thank you. That’s good to know. I thought it probably wouldn’t be an issue, but hate to be THAT awkward Brit family... 😂
Dom and Sarah is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:34 PM  
Link to this Post
lmartin
Serious Dibber

Revolut is ideal for this kind of thing. Instant transfers to each other in the group.
lmartin is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

The Americans do this all the time, servers don't batt an eyelid at it
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 10:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Kraken
Imagineer

Servers in restaurants will happily arrange to split the check [check = US term for bill] several ways - after all, they know being helpful = a potential more generous tip.

You can do it one of two ways - either tell them the groups within your party (as I guess you will all be at one table) when you order and ask for a check for each group at the end. Or just run one check and when it comes to pay just say to the server "can you put $x onto this card, $y onto this card & $z onto this one).

When I go to Florida with friends, we always eat breakfast in, lunch out (mostly) and dinner is always eaten out. We alternate who spends on communal items (supermarket food for in apartment, gas for the car, the evening meal etc) and keep a running total back at the apartment of whose spent what on communal items. Towards the end of the holiday we tot-up where we are and start to break the sequence as needed to ensure the spends have been pretty much evenly split. It's scary how close it comes sometimes just with alternation of spends - think one year it was to within $5 (so the first round back in the pub in the UK was on the person who was $5 up!). Another year I know the difference was all but $30, so I just bought the friend I was with their $30 bottle of gin in MCO duty free on the way home - sorted).

We eat in a range of restaurants from cheap & cheerful to expensive, hence the running total being kept just to make sure one person does not get stung by the sequence - but it's not happened yet (as above).

We each pay for our own lunch food when out & when it comes to daily parking, we just alternate who pays each day as the rates are all pretty similar when it comes to Disney & Universal. (We don't have to pay at SeaWorld, Aquatica or Busch).
Kraken is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 21, 10:08 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Originally Posted by Dom and Sarah View Post
Hi All,

I know this subject has been absolutely flogged to death, but my question is slightly different.

We are off the Orlando at Christmas now, having moved our holiday for the third time (I can’t believe how many Dibbers are going to be there for Crimbo).

We are going as a groups of 8, from three different households. We are taking our Caxton card as we used these before and they seemed okay. We aren’t sure what to do about splitting the bill at breakfast/dinner, and how is best to do this with pre-paid cards. We aren’t too fussy with equal splits, and thought about all getting Caxton cards, one person paying at dinner, then transferring the money when we get back to our Villa. I don’t think you can transfer to other accounts on Caxton though, only back to the master account.

Has anyone else ever had this before and come up with ingenious solutions? I’m guessing cold hard cash is probably a thing of the past now, especially with C-19 still lingering in the background...
We had separate bills. Everytine we sat down we said. Bill number 1 for us 4 and pointed out my husband and kids.
Then our friends did the same.

No servers batted an eye even if we had three or 4 bills.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 10:51 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Yes, as others have said it is no problem at all and you just need to tell your server before ordering that you would like separate checks, and then tell them who the different people are for each check so they can make a note. At the end of the meal the server will bring you all the checks and you can each pay your own portion separately.

I always go to Orlando with friends so at times there can even be 3 or 4 different checks and no one has ever batted an eyelid - super easy and convenient
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Jan 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
alisonjones
Imagineer

alisonjones's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 20
Hi at times we have been and there has been 4/5 different families - the Servers are used to it over there, and sometimes ask beforehand if you are doing separate bills. Splitting is the easiest thing to do - rather than sorting it out later -