Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jan 18, 02:20 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsPoppopings
Trying for More Ears

Question Trouble with this ESTA question!

Hello Everyone, I’m new to the forum but over the last couple of days have been reading posts on certain Esta questions.

Mine is the employment question, does it let you answer Homemaker or retired?
My last job was many years ago, the business ceased trading, again along time ago.

Technically I am a Carer to my hubby, who can no longer go on a plane. I get respite and he gets help when I have a break. Can anyone help with this please?
MrsPoppopings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

If you hover over the question mark icon, it'll give you some examples. Putting retired or homemaker is perfectly fine. Welcome to the Dibb!
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 02:38 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven't worked for many years but I am not retirement age. The question mark said last employment. So I put Tesco, even though I stopped working for them years ago. I think its just another question to confirm identity if asked when going through immigration. I just have to remember to say Tesco if asked 😊.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I haven't worked for many years but I am not retirement age. The question mark said last employment. So I put Tesco, even though I stopped working for them years ago. I think its just another question to confirm identity if asked when going through immigration. I just have to remember to say Tesco if asked 😊.
It serves exactly the same purpose as what are (were) your parents names.

Joan retired in 2006 The US CB&P simply don't have access to any database that will confirm that the phone number of a small company that she worked for 12 years ago was 01234 567890

Similarly they don't have access to a database to confirm that Joan's dad, who died in 1966, was called John Smith.

As I've said on here dozens of times - Please don't overthink the ESTA questions. They are not trick questions to try and keep you out of the USA.

Mick
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:01 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsPoppopings
Trying for More Ears

Thank you for the replies, I am an over thinker, I see Mick what you mean about it being a security question. Regarding a phone number do you make one up?
I wish the Employment section was like Canada’s ETA The drop down menu includes Homemaker and retired...

Bit nervous going out there on my own, my last ESTA didn’t have the questions on parents or employment.
MrsPoppopings is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:05 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsPoppopings View Post
Thank you for the replies, I am an over thinker, I see Mick what you mean about it being a security question. Regarding a phone number do you make one up?
I wish the Employment section was like Canada’s ETA The drop down menu includes Homemaker and retired...

Bit nervous going out there on my own, my last ESTA didn’t have the questions on parents or employment.
It's 18 months since I last did ours and I just can't remember what the options are under the ?.

As Loldis suggests can you just put "retired"?

Mick
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
chmurf
Imagineer

put your own phone number in ... even if the Immigration Officier phones (they won't) nobody will pick up
chmurf is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Originally Posted by chmurf View Post
put your own phone number in ... even if the Immigration Officier phones (they won't) nobody will pick up
... and you change your own voicemail message to "you've reached the offices of Joe Bloggs Ltd. We are sorry that there's no one here to take your call at the moment but we are probably queuing for 3 hours at MCO waiting to see a US CB&P officer"

ick
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsPoppopings
Trying for More Ears

[QUOTE=mick;13033367]... and you change your own voicemail message to "you've reached the offices of Joe Bloggs Ltd. We are sorry that there's no one here to take your call at the moment but we are probably queuing for 3 hours at MCO waiting to see a US CB&P officer"

Exactly, that made me laugh
Old 22 Jan 18, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MrsPoppopings View Post

Don't overthink it MrsP - hover your mouse over the ? above each question and follow their guidelines. You'll be fine