Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 22 Nov 17, 08:50 AM  
Link to this Post
amandajane10
Imagineer

amandajane10's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I know of a family of 6 who hired a wheelchair for a perfectly fit person so they could all "jump the queue" as they said. This was with the old system. It makes my blood boil. All having a blue badge allows at disney is to get a closer parking space. If families are so lazy that they cant walk a few extra yards and possibly deny a genuine person a space they obviously dont have a conscience.
Having a wheelchair now does not automatically get you a Das as it doesn't stop you having to queue so anyone using this to get a DAS these days might be disappointed.
Villa Holiday May 2018
Planning Easter 2020
amandajane10 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:10 AM  
Link to this Post
MJ6987
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I know of a family of 6 who hired a wheelchair for a perfectly fit person so they could all "jump the queue" as they said. This was with the old system. It makes my blood boil. All having a blue badge allows at disney is to get a closer parking space. If families are so lazy that they cant walk a few extra yards and possibly deny a genuine person a space they obviously dont have a conscience.
I didn't think a wheelchair would allow you to jump the queue anyway as most regular queues allow wheelchairs through them.
MJ6987 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
GrumpyDopey&Me
Imagineer

GrumpyDopey&Me's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by duchy View Post
Two interpretations ..
1 "Just say he's got Aspergers". Scumbag Father

2 "Just say he has got Aspergers "..and don't worry about adding he also has other issues like dyspraxia, epilepsy etc (just trying to keep things simple)

I intensely dislike the assumptions self righteous but clueless people can make about my son's disabilities . Yes there are scumbags around but there's also parents working hard to do the best for their kids who get "called out" unfairly. It's both offensive and upsetting when it happens and I've learned not to ignore it but firmly and loudly correct such ignorance <end rant>
I agree with this, how do you know the person was scamming the system. Its like looking at me walking into the disabled toilet and assuming I don't have problem. I am not saying people don't abuse the system, just sometimes problem aren't visual and people feel the need to justify then need help
GrumpyDopey&Me is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:24 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

I don't understand why the US are so coy about asking for proof, no genuine person would object surely. Of course people lie, it amazes me as I am great believer in "be careful what you wish for."
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:25 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I can't think of anything worse than someone having a public go at the parent of a disabled child accusing them of faking it.
"Make no mistake" utterly offensive .
Walk in my shoes first, a DAS pass in no way makes up for knowing your child will always lead a life with restrictions ! Or for the utter crap some people spew !
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
I don't understand why the US are so coy about asking for proof, no genuine person would object surely. Of course people lie, it amazes me as I am great believer in "be careful what you wish for."
Why should any disabled person have to discuss their personal health issues with any random ?
It's not a matter of "coy" it's a matter of personal dignity.
My MIL has a colostomy bag after cancer, she doesn't regard it as a disability and would tear strips off anyone who called it that however there are times when the bag lets her down or is about to and she needs fast access to a toilet . Would she be "coy" in not wanting to discuss those facts with some random who was demanding to know why she needed access to a disabled toilet ?
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 09:57 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by EssexSue View Post
Oh, don't even try to get into the mixed up mess of the logic of US law. Pressure, lobby and business groups have way, way too much power there. Frankly it's a minor miracle when there is any positive change.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:00 AM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Why should any disabled person have to discuss their personal health issues with any random ?
Not discuss. Prove. Which can be perfectly discreet and not involve any discussion at all.

Indeed, the presence of systems to allow people to prove their disability, can preserve the dignity of a person - which I fully agree with you is paramount.

Edited at 10:01 AM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:02 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

[QUOTE=duchy;12953706]Why should any disabled person have to discuss their personal health issues with any random ?
It's not a matter of "coy" it's a matter of personal dignity.
My MIL has a colostomy bag after cancer, she doesn't regard it as a disability and would tear strips off anyone who called it that however there are times when the bag lets her down or is about to and she needs fast access to a toilet . Would she be "coy" in not wanting to discuss those facts with some random who was demanding to know why she needed access to a disabled toilet ?[/QUOTE

I didn't mean they should have to go into great personal detail, merely have to show some form of proof that they are genuinely in need of special treatment. Maybe a doctor's letter or something. Surely you can see it's wrong if for example your mother in law ends up in a queue for the disabled toilet because the system is being abused.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Nov 17, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
klr15
Imagineer

klr15's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 7
Mobile

Two interpretations ..
1 "Just say he's got Aspergers". Scumbag Father

2 "Just say he has got Aspergers "..and don't worry about adding he also has other issues like dyspraxia, epilepsy etc (just trying to keep things simple)

I intensely dislike the assumptions self righteous but clueless people can make about my son's disabilities . Yes there are scumbags around but there's also parents working hard to do the best for their kids who get "called out" unfairly. It's both offensive and upsetting when it happens and I've learned not to ignore it but firmly and loudly correct such ignorance <end rant>
I thought this too when I first read it. Maybe he was just suggesting naming the main reason they needed the pass and saying forget the other medical conditions. Or possibly he's not had a formal diagnosis of ASD yet, but appears to be on the spectrum.

Assumptions should never be made until the facts are clear.
klr15 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List