Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Feb 18, 03:17 PM  
Link to this Post
MagicalDay
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
Some people might have booked a month ago for, say, October this year when Disney had said that the work at the main building was going to be completed by late Summer. Now it looks like the work won't be complete until December. So, for those people, it might be a big deal. They are not getting what they thought they were paying for. As far as I know, these people aren't being offered any compensation.

And, as Floridasun said earlier, up until now Disney have only referred to the work as "refurbishment" not "construction". People booking to stay at CBR, reading Disney's official information and thinking there was just going to be a bit of internal refurbishment going on might be a bit taken aback when they discover that around a third of the resort has been demolished and there is major building work going on.
So what happens when an attraction doesn't open on the expected date? Are these dates set in stone?

Surely the dates are given as an estimate and not an official opening date? For example, Toy story land... Summer 2018.. If I plan to go in the summer and it doesn't open until Winter, do I have a right to compensation?

Or if a wait time is showing 30mins but I end up in the queue for over an hour, a different scale but still an inconvenience.

I've never seen so much confusion over construction/refurb going on in Disney.

Who remembers the crane in the backdrop of Cinderalla Castle. No one expected that! Some people only get to go once. But make the most of it.

Saying it isn't lucky not to go to Florida... my mum used to take me when I was younger. She worked, saved, sacrificed so much and yet I felt lucky. Because not many kids in my school had the chance to go. So yes, lucky is correct. If you don't feel lucky that you can take your kids when others can't go. When you see the joy on your parents face or the joy in a child's face. This is lucky in the sense of lucky that others can't make it or be with loved ones.

1990 - 1992 - 1993 - 1994 - 1995 - 1999 - 2000 - 2001 - 2002x2- 2003x2 - 2004 - 2005 - 2006 - 2007 - 2008 - 2009 - 2011 - 2014 - 2016 Orlando Holidays!
Next Adventure starts 14/11/2018!
MagicalDay is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by MagicalDay View Post
So what happens when an attraction doesn't open on the expected date? Are these dates set in stone?

Surely the dates are given as an estimate and not an official opening date? For example, Toy story land... Summer 2018.. If I plan to go in the summer and it doesn't open until Winter, do I have a right to compensation?
Well, technically, if you've booked a hotel and the facilities that you were told would be available when you booked aren't available when you get there then, yes, you are fully legally entitled to compensation. In the same way that if you bought a car and it said it came with a DAB radio and it didn't, you are legally entitled to compensation or for the seller to fix the issue.

Just two months ago Disney stated that the OPR work would finish at the end of summer. If someone booked a hotel based on that official information and then that information changes then, yes, they are entitled to compensation. The terms and conditions of their contract will have changed.

Attractions and rides in the park are a little different. The terms and conditions when you buy the tickets state that all attractions listed may not be available when you are there. Therefore, Disney has a get-out clause. However, I can see some people being a bit unhappy if they chose to spend thousands of pounds on a holiday to Disney in October because they were big Toy Story fans only to later discover the opening date of Toy Story Land had slipped to December. However, in this case, they could not legally pursue compensation (although they can still ask for it).

Please note that Disney UK is part of ABTA. In order to be part of ABTA there is a certain code of conduct they must follow. They must, for example, provide "accurate information so you can make an informed choice" and they must also "offer a suitable alternative if there are building works that will seriously impair your holiday". Disney has signed up to that contract. I'd expect them to follow it.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:11 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Well, technically, if you've booked a hotel and the facilities that you were told would be available when you booked aren't available when you get there then, yes, you are fully legally entitled to compensation. In the same way that if you bought a car and it said it came with a DAB radio and it didn't, you are legally entitled to compensation or for the seller to fix the issue.

Just two months ago Disney stated that the OPR work would finish at the end of summer. If someone booked a hotel based on that official information and then that information changes then, yes, they are entitled to compensation. The terms and conditions of their contract will have changed.

Attractions and rides in the park are a little different. The terms and conditions when you buy the tickets state that all attractions listed may not be available when you are there. Therefore, Disney has a get-out clause. However, I can see some people being a bit unhappy if they chose to spend thousands of pounds on a holiday to Disney in October because they were big Toy Story fans only to later discover the opening date of Toy Story Land had slipped to December. However, in this case, they could not legally pursue compensation (although they can still ask for it).

Please note that Disney UK is part of ABTA. In order to be part of ABTA there is a certain code of conduct they must follow. They must, for example, provide "accurate information so you can make an informed choice" and they must also "offer a suitable alternative if there are building works that will seriously impair your holiday". Disney has signed up to that contract. I'd expect them to follow it.
Yeah but abta say if you hotel announce construction, you can ask for a move and if its more expensive, you need to foot the bill.

What they do say is if you go and have a bad time due to any issue - you can claim loss of enjoyment - which under these circumstances, is a highly winnable case...

Remember not to smile for the photos...

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:26 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Or if a wait time is showing 30mins but I end up in the queue for over an hour, a different scale but still an inconvenience.

I've never seen so much confusion over construction/refurb going on in Disney.

Who remembers the crane in the backdrop of Cinderalla Castle. No one expected that! Some people only get to go once. But make the most of it.

Saying it isn't lucky not to go to Florida... my mum used to take me when I was younger. She worked, saved, sacrificed so much and yet I felt lucky. Because not many kids in my school had the chance to go. So yes, lucky is correct. If you don't feel lucky that you can take your kids when others can't go. When you see the joy on your parents face or the joy in a child's face. This is lucky in the sense of lucky that others can't make it or be with loved ones.
hey man - I TOTALLY get what you are saying and I did feel like this away back at the very start..

Hell man its DISNEY 3rd in the world for customer service! behind Rolex (I have a mm watch) and Lego - who ever COMPLAINS about Lego!

They will look after their guest - Right - RIGHT...

No.

The insinuation from the statement and numerous conversations is that we are all liars in her and on social media and I was personally called "confused" by a senior member of staff.

Disney could have handled this situation and us all so much better. I am sure you agree.

A crane behind a castle or a ride not opening in a town full of rides isn't the same as your down time being spoiled by "a construction site with a few hotel rooms" which at one point had no hot water to the rooms!

This is Disney, not Britannia, - Resorts.

This resort has simply been Mis-Sold and as such they should do the right thing - as they did once before - Free Moves or Discount to Stay for ALL.

Wouldn't you consider a free move to AoA, Wilderness, Por? Or $75 pn to ease the blow...

papamouse is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Feb 18, 05:51 PM  
Link to this Post
loves2plan
VIP Dibber

I can't wait to go! Most of the time will be spent in the parks. When we're at the hotel we will be sleeping and construction would've stopped. We will make the most of it. We are so lucky to be going. I'm sure people who could never avoid to go or be able to go for other reasons would love to stay at CBR. Construction is never a sure completion date especially given the fact about the hurricane that recently hit Florida. Why is this such an issue when there is other construction going on in the parks? We knew about the ongoing construction when we booked in May 2017, we are staying in November 2018 and always knew there may still be construction. Not an issue in my opinion. We love Disney!
Have a Magical Day
MagicalDay, looking at your posting history, it looks like you're not a regular Dibber, so you might not be aware that the whole CBR construction debacle started nearly 1 year ago! https://DIBB.in/12303717, and it follows on here: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1010802
Speculation actually started in January 2017 as Disney were filing permits for work, but nothing was officially announced until around 21st Feb 2017. That was handled poorly by Disney and it took a lot of work and perseverence to get resolutions for people, and this is just a continuation of that, not something new. Hence people being soooo fed up and incredulous that Disney have cocked up again and think that the state of CBR is acceptable for the money paid. I can't recall such a huge construction programme taking place at a resort while it stayed open for 'business as usual'.
If you're happy, then that's great - more power to you. However, a lot of people, rightly so, aren't happy to be spending thousands of their hard earned pounds to stay on construction site. I know I certainly wouldn't be.

POFQ: Our 'once in a lifetime' trip, 31.10 - 14.11.12
SSR: 40th birthday trip, 02 - 16.01.14
SSR 2 bed villa: my mums first trip, 07 - 21.02.15
POR: An unexpected Easter break, 02 - 15.04.16
CBR: Another unexpected Easter trip, 29.03 - 12.04.17
CBR: 18th birthday surprise trip, 21.10 - 4.11.19
CBR & CBBR 3 week WDW & US, 05 - 27.09.22

Easter QSDP food report April 17

2nd Easter QSDP food report, Oct 19
loves2plan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 12:49 AM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

I personally think as a community we should all support all members trodden on like this.

Like the 300 people stranded at the airport by TUI - who fixed their plane and then used it for a different flight rather than be liable for 2 sets of compensation due, and then are actively ignoring the compensation claims.

And this fiasco at cbr - we are a very influential group as notice by Disney in this thread and I think we should collectively band together and help our members get what the deserve.

As of now, I have no chip in the CBR game, but I will support our members to the hilt in whatever way I can - with this, flight comp, and anything else.

Old 16 Feb 18, 11:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
And this fiasco at cbr - we are a very influential group as notice by Disney in this thread and I think we should collectively band together and help our members get what the deserve.
Just to clarify, I believe the post by Disney was a general statement sent out to lots of Disney-related websites. The information wasn't specifically targeted at the DIBB.

(Although I notice many sites updated their CBR information around 1st Feb)

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 12:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I wonder if Disney have teams looking at postings on Disney forums?
I was wondering the same thing!

If they are, quite a few of yours should be giving them food for thought.

You make good points very well ... : - )
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Feb 18, 12:42 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

Just to clarify, I believe the post by Disney was a general statement sent out to lots of Disney-related websites. The information wasn't specifically targeted at the DIBB.

(Although I notice many sites updated their CBR information around 1st Feb)
yeah I know, just was specifically sent to the Dibb on that list...

Its the best florida planning website ive found and I have square eyes

Old 16 Feb 18, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
PENELOPE
Imagineer

Mobile

Last year we ended up at Coronado as there wasn’t any availability for us at cbr, we hated it, a generator was running 24/7 pumping water at the lake, painters where painting our block whilst it was full of guests and tree surgeons decided to cut down a large tree one night at 11pm on the main walkway back to our room. Will never stay there again, looking forward to cbr this year as nothing can be as bad as last year
PENELOPE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List