Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 24 Feb 17, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by DonnaD View Post
Glad you enjoyed it. For us freestyle was what we liked least about NCL. We really liked Disney's rotational dining which allows eating in different restaurants but with the same waiters every night. The personalised service they provided was exceptional, especially with my fussy neices. On NCL we never saw the same waiter twice in the main dining room and didn't really want to pay extra for specialty restaurants. Not getting soft drinks included in the main dining was also a small annoyance. We had gotten a very good deal so didn't really mind these issues but did feel there were alot more extras that could have very easily added up to a big bill at the end of the cruise.
We had soft drinks included on our 1st cruise and paid extra for the kids on the 2nd but ours were free. We saw a lot of the same staff and only ever had 1 meal where we felt the service wasn't the best. Everyone has different experiences onboard we know, the only bad thing about our 2nd cruise was our room steward was non existant! only saw her once and she kept coming in in the morning even though the room said do not disturb! but our 1st steward was amazing!

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:06 PM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Our NCL cruise was a few years ago. No drinks packages were included.
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:38 PM  
Link to this Post
Leanne1977
Imagineer

Leanne1977's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Ahh I see.

WDW Villa Jul/Aug 2005
DLP SL Jan/Feb 2006, DCR Feb 2007, Cheyenne Feb 2008, NB Nov 2009, Ibis July 2010
WDW Pop Sept 2006
WDW ASM/HRH/POP Sept 2007 free DDP
WDW Regal Sun/SSR/CIAS May 2008
WDW CIAS/RPR/Cypress Pointe GV Aug 2008
WDW Highgate Park/AKV/BCV Dec 2008
WDW SSR/Pop May 2009
WDW RPR/BCV/BWV/VB/VWL/OKW/Kidani/DCL Jul/Aug 2009
WDW Dibb Villa/Regal Sun May 2010
WDW BCV/VB/DCL Oct/Nov 2010 Wedding trip!
WDW SSR/Dibb Villa/VB Oct 2011 1st wedding anniversary trip!
WDW OKW/VB/Peabody Aug 2013
Leanne1977 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Feb 17, 11:43 PM  
Link to this Post
ginger ninja
Imagineer

ginger ninja's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Good reason to go again when they are

ginger ninja is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 09:33 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnaD
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by ginger ninja View Post
Good reason to go again when they are
No real incentive for me as I don't drink alcohol!
Old 25 Feb 17, 10:17 AM  
Link to this Post
vickyc651
Imagineer

I had a look to and the price really did put me off. I know you are ultimately paying for the "Disney Experience", but in terms of price and for the overall cruise experience, there are other cruise liners that do things just as well, if not better and at a more competitive price.
Old 25 Feb 17, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by vickyc651 View Post
I had a look to and the price really did put me off. I know you are ultimately paying for the "Disney Experience", but in terms of price and for the overall cruise experience, there are other cruise liners that do things just as well, if not better and at a more competitive price.
I ask with genuine interest - which lines have you sailed on which you feel compare favourably to DCL?

Other than DCL, we've only sailed RCCL and although we enjoyed the cruise (Fjords) and it was a really good deal, the service and standards we felt were well below Disney and the cruise was very inpersonal (obviously it was a much bigger ship). That and comments from other cruisers we've met whilst sailing DCL have put us off sailing with another lines unless we're priced out.

I'm interested to try different lines as the ships look fantastic but I feel I would be missing out not doing DCL (silly I know).

Sorry for hijacking I just wondered which lines you were talking about
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

We're taking the kids on a Cunard balcony this year, which works out way cheaper than the Disney med trip in an inside cabin. Plus flights are included in the Cunard. We did a Disney med one in 2011 and have sailed Cunard & P&O since. Just cannot justify the Disney price. We didn't find the service to be any better than on the other lines we sail on. We accept a bit of a premium for the novelty of the ship, but simply cannot justify a holiday which, like for like, would come in at almost double the price (when you add flights, the most expensive tips I have ever come across etc)
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
CheshireCaty
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by meboo View Post
We're taking the kids on a Cunard balcony this year, which works out way cheaper than the Disney med trip in an inside cabin. Plus flights are included in the Cunard. We did a Disney med one in 2011 and have sailed Cunard & P&O since. Just cannot justify the Disney price. We didn't find the service to be any better than on the other lines we sail on. We accept a bit of a premium for the novelty of the ship, but simply cannot justify a holiday which, like for like, would come in at almost double the price (when you add flights, the most expensive tips I have ever come across etc)
I have been looking at P&O as we have family who sail yearly on their ships, although it's difficult for them to compare as they've never sailed DCL. Thanks for the info
WDW - 92, 93, 95, 97, 00 x2, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 09 x2, 10, 11 x2, 12, 13, 14, 15 x2, 17 x2, 18, 19 x 2, 22--- DLP - 95, 01, 03, 06, 11, 14, 18, 19—- Disney Cruise - 2012 - Bahamas, 13 - Med, 15 - 15n EBTA, 16 - Alaska, 19 - Northern Europe.
"You may have noticed I'm not all there myself" -
CheshireCaty is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Feb 17, 09:02 PM  
Link to this Post
meboo
Imagineer

QUOTE]I'm interested to try different lines as the ships look fantastic but I feel I would be missing out not doing DCL (silly I know).

Sorry for hijacking I just wondered which lines you were talking about [/QUOTE

Ps - sorry CheshireCatty - I didn't manage to quote you properly there !

I think Disney have modelled themselves on a 'traditional' cruise rather than a 'cruise/entertainment' ship. We enjoy the traditional approach - we like the formal nights. I might get shot down in flames on here, but I prefer the entertainment on P&O (suites a wider audience), and both P&o and Cunard have the formal dining or options for buffets. The layout of the ships is similar to Disney (with an atrium) rather than a shopping mall. I did like the cinema on the Disney, and the portable phones in the cabins. I'd also say the kids clubs probably have the edge, but my two were never keen on leaving us. All in all those 'likes' do not persuade me that £000s more should be spent to achieve them.

Edited at 09:04 PM. Reason: Add info
meboo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List