Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Mar 17, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

A tale of land and sea - day 1

Day 1 - Discovery Cove, Florida Mall & Millers

11th September 2016

First full day of our Florida adventure and we were up nice and early! Didn't have the best nights sleep but was flat out when the alarm went off at 6am - all that was forgotten when I remembered that today was Discovery Cove day!

Up, dressed and showered by 7am - I definitely don't move this quickly at home! Headed out and jumped in the car - just time for a quick pic of our block at the Avanti...

Arrived at Discovery Cove at 7:15am and headed inside:

Queued up and headed over to the next available desk - our photos were taken and we were given our lanyards and dolphin swim details - we had an 8:55am dolphin swim.

Next we were directed down the path and to a photographer - not the best photo as Soph didn't really know what was going on and had her 'let me in the park!' face.

Leaving here we were directed through the park and into breakfast - plenty of staff around to show you the right way to go.

Breakfast! If you've not been to DC before, all of your food and drink is included. We headed into the queue and grabbed a tray. I had southwest eggs (scrambled eggs with Cajun spice, peppers, onions & cheese), sausage patty, bacon, breakfast potatoes and French toast sticks. I also had a bowl of fruit and orange juice. I really enjoyed this, maybe because we were early but it was all so fresh and tasty!

It was so nice to sit outside in the sunshine eating breakfast - bliss!

Once we had our fill of breakfast we headed round to the lockers and popped our stuff away and grabbed our vests and snorkel gear. Popped the snorkel gear into the locker for now and had a wander before our dolphin swim.

Quick stroll down to a very quiet grand reef to take some photos -seemed like everyone was still in breakfast...

We then headed round to locate our Cabana (seahorse) and then spent a little time just outside of here watching some of the dolphins play - so peaceful...

Back to the locker to pop my camera away and then back to the Seahorse Cabana where we registered for our swim and were split into four groups. We had a brief talk and then each group was led out to the pool. We had our trainers Cat and Michelle and first they brought out Dixie, a dominant femaleand over 40 years old. We were in a group with a family of two ladies and two children and a younger couple and we all stood in a line. Dixie made her way along the line infront of us and we were able to stroke her and then she left!

Next out was Epanema ("Epa"). Cat and Michelle taught us some commands and Epa carried out each of these while we were told lots of interesting information about Epa and dolphins in general. Epa came over quite often to be petted by whoever she wished!

Next up we had a kiss and cuddle with Epa and our photographs were taken:

We were taught a few more hand signals and then it was time for the dolphin swims! Epa had only been doing the dolphin swims for around a year but she was very well behaved!

Epa said her goodbyes with a tail wave and big leap and she was off!
The dolphin swim was a great experience and the trainers really seem to know and love the dolphins.

Continued in next post...
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
pho3nix
slightly serious Dibber

...cont from previous post

We left the pool and headed into the photo cabana where we looked at our photos - the packages seemed very expensive and we couldn't decide whether to buy any or not - we decided to leave the decision for later in the day!

We decided to head round to the aviary while it was still quite early as I had read (on the Dibb of course) that the morning was the best time to visit the birds to catch them peckish! We loved this area - I think maybe we were a little later than ideal as most of the birds seemed full but some did pop down for a nibble and to say hello.

We spoke to the one of the staff members in the aviary, unfortunately I forgot her name, but I found it really lovely how they know all of the birds and if one is having an "off day".

Next up- Grand reef. We wandered back to the lockers and I changed my DSLR for the snorkelling equipment and waterproof camera. This was great - a little chilly getting in though.

I thought this was an amazing experience and really well done. Eespecially liked the shark area where you swim by the sharks behind the glass...

And on to more fish!

Just as were leaving it was ray feeding time - 12 noon. This takes place in the shallow area of the grand reef and is crazy! One rather large ray took quite the shining to me and kept running into my ankles and knocking me off my feet! We watched them feed and were told quite a few facts like how they are difficult to age as they have no bones and periodically shed their teeth!
And a few photos of ray feeding...

We left the Grand Reef and headed for some lunch. This was in the same place as breakfast - there were quite a few different choices - I had tilapia with rice and veg and Sophie had the burger. We also shared Pineapple cake. The food was great and the Pineapple cake was AMAZING!

Mine (& the Pineapple cake to share!)

Sophie's:

We popped over the photo kiosk and had our free print printed and also bought some dolphin swim pics - I thought this was very expensive ($99 for 4 prints) bu I was sure I would regret it if we didn't buy them. Now I'm home I'm really glad we have these although I do need to sort a frame for them still!

We then went for a swim around the river - this was nice but would benefit from some fish to look at!
We swam through the aviary:

We spotted this guy:

We did miss the otters and marmosets to decided to walk round and find them - very cute!

We grabbed a couple of snacks- so great that they are included! I had a frozen minute maid lemonade - yum! At some point during the morining we had also grabbed a pretzel - Sophie enjoyed it but I thought it was a bit too salty - we also asked for drinks, Mango slush I think, not realising that they had alcohol in - wowzers very strong for 10am!

We decided to leave at around 3:30pm. DC really think of everything with bags for your wet swimwear. Heading out and taking a couple of pictures at the dolphin swim area and of the lobby.

I really did think Discovery Cove was a perfect and relaxing first day - we really thought it was nice and peaceful and not too crowded at all.

We jumped in the car and headed to the Florida Mall. We only popped into a couple of shops - we were both flagging and not really feeling shopping. I had a quick look in Michael Kors just to see what there was on offer and Hot Topic, I was really looking forward to this shop but was a little disappointed today, not much at all caught my attention. No purchases made. Although we did pop into CVS and bought plasters and a notebook!

Back to the Avanti and dropped off the car.

We then walked to Millers Ale House - it was really busy - it was a football night. We were given a number (84) and headed outside to wait:

We were seated after around 30 mins in a booth and our server, Tomka,introduced herself - she was certainly not in a rush at all this evening!

I ordered a Zinger Mountain Melt (medium) and an Orange Crush cocktail and Sophie ordered a Zinger Melt (honey BBQ).

Our server brought over two Zinger Mountain Melts - I think usually we would have said something but we were both so tired by this point we really just couldn't face it!

These things were huge- would definately order again but one beween us!

Meal done, cheque paid - once we tracked down our server! No prices for this I'm afraid as tI can't find the reciept anywhere!

We strolled back to the Avanti taking in the sights and seeing the Orlando Eye all lit up. Once back in the room we got ourselves setted and I wrote up some notes from the day before dropping of to sleep.
Tomorrow we move to the Royal Pacific resort and take our first visit to the Wizarding World!
pho3nix is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Mar 17, 10:06 PM  
Link to this Post
FloridaFairy
Apprentice Imagineer

Oh I was back in DC with you there! Do you remember the sunscreen they gave you in DC?
When we went I'm sure it was Panama jack or joe but I can't find it when we've been back to Florida since

Fabby photos
Loving the report too

Xx Ff xX

Edited at 10:09 PM.
FloridaFairy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 07:42 PM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Breakfast looks lovely, it actually looks so good I thought it was a stock photo!

I cannot wait to try a Zinger Mountain Melt at Miller's!
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 08:05 PM  
Link to this Post
sheluk
Imagineer

Your day at discovery cove looks lovely and peaceful!
My dad goes on about that zinger melt all the time - must try it next time!
sheluk is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 08:38 PM  
Link to this Post
KittyBlackDog
Imagineer

Never thought of doing dc on the first day but looks like a perfect result 👍🏻

Photos look great

TFS
KittyBlackDog is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 08:58 PM  
Link to this Post
stupet11
Imagineer

Lovely report... DC is relaxation heaven...Thanks for taking me back! Well played managing Millers after the free food at DC...We never do! Frozen Pinacolda anyone?

Edited at 08:59 PM.
stupet11 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Mudhut
Excited about Disney

Hey I was at the Avanti when you were I travelled on the 9th and your discovery cove day was the day after my birthday- i was also on the top floor-building one and I listened to Carrie underwood too - spooky or what p.s I'm going back to the Avanti this September
Mudhut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 09:21 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Fab 1st day
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Mar 17, 09:52 PM  
Link to this Post
ayles300
Imagineer

Fab day! Love DC so chilled out and not badly priced with all the food you can consume.
* Int Drive Nov 91* Paris Aug 92* Disney Paris Santa Fe Jan 08* Clear Creek Circle May 09* Cumbrian Lakes May 11* Veranda Palms Sept 12* Indian Point & Daytona 500 Feb 13* Indian Point May 14 3 weeks!* IndianRidge Oaks April 15* Lake Berkley 40th May 16* Bahamas Cruise & Cumbrian Lakes Aug 17* Eagle point & Road trip April 19*
ayles300 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List