Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Feb 20, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Mobile

Originally Posted by vowels View Post
The Catholic Church are not the only religion who do not approve of contraception.

And China have ended their One Child Policy.

I agree that the world is overpopulated.

And that pets are an unnecessary indulgence. I am not a pet person, but I have witnessed the amount of money people spend on "stuff" for their pet which is an unnecessary nonsense and the lack on time spent with said pets which is just cruel.
I dont know enough about other religious beliefs so can only comment on my own. I know china has ender it was an example. I have witnessed the same with humans spending thousands on their children and holidays, I think it's called choice?
. Not sure what your point is
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Hudson
Imagineer

We are currently sharing a cat with an unknown neighbour in order to reduce our carbon footprint.
I believe people should do more ... like... er... dog sharing.
Hudson is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 07:27 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by THE WIZARD View Post
The bottom line is, until Ms Thunberg goes and preaches to the likes of India and China then the rest of the world, along with this young lady, is wasting its time talking about climate change etc - the problem is too many people in the world (& no one wanting to admit to it) and the continuation of baby after baby, particularly in countries where babies, particularly boys, are born solely to turn into money makers for their parents. When they use the money they are sent to hand out Condoms or sterilization (as they once tried) then I will contribute & only then will we be able to do something about climate change and saving our planet.
No, it is not the responsibility of a seventeen year old girl to go to China, India, USA or anywhere else to persuade those governments to make the Climate Emergency the most important item of their political and social agenda.

Greta Thunberg's calling is to make us more active and for us to demand our Governments changes, she alone cannot make that change.

I am slightly confused regarding your last line, who exactly do you believe needs to be sterilised?
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by vowels View Post
No, it is not the responsibility of a seventeen-year-old girl to go to China, India, USA or anywhere else to persuade those governments to make the Climate Emergency the most important item of their political and social agenda.

Greta Thunberg's calling is to make us more active and for us to demand our Governments changes, she alone cannot make that change.

I am slightly confused regarding your last line, who exactly do you believe needs to be sterilised?
I agree. It is not the responsibility of a 17-year-old girl to go to China, India USA or the UK

I have great respect and no objection to teenagers. I don’t feel the need to listen or respect a teenager who is being manipulated by those around her and the press, as a mother there is no way I’d be sending my 16-year-old around the world with that level of scrutiny. but then again her mother has made a lot of money, we are told, from book publishing and stating the fragility of TG mental health. That is the real worry for me when the next one comes along when her fresh face is not so fresh, where will all the GT followers be?

The teenagers that I do have respect for and admire are those that do not just stand up and speak but are actually trying to offer solutions

As the creator of a device that saves lives and got him a free ride to college, Paul Hyman has a lot to be happy about. After volunteering as a firefighter, he designed a new mask for firefighters that uses infrared cameras to help them see through the smoke. Thanks to this invention, Clarkson University offered him a full-ride scholarship to attend their school.

At only 16, Ann’s science fair project became the talk of the science community. Using the idea of thermoelectrics, Ann created a flashlight that is powered by holding it in your hand. For the 1 billion people in the world without access to steady electricity, a light that you can power with your body is a life-change

As the son of two doctors, 15-year-old Suman knew how important it is for some people to monitor their heart rate. So he used his summer vacation to research and create the Steth IO app and phone attachment, which not only monitors a patients heart rate but also doubles as a stethoscope.

After realizing how many people in the Philippines had trouble getting access to electricity, Angelo Casimiro had the idea of using people’s footsteps to power phone chargers. So he designed a special sneaker that charges your phone as you walk, reducing the need for electricity.

And twenty-Year-old Bowan. slat who invented and brought to market something to clean the oceans of plastic

mnn/earth-matters/wi...-its-happening

I suspect many on here have not even heard of them, the press won't focus on those doing positive stuff. I am not saying that her message is not important, but those kids mentioned above are not in the headlines, sailing around the world on a bloody catamaran with an entourage of people, they are doing, we need more doers in the world we have enough people pontificating. They are doing something what’s she doing, highlighting an issue that, let’s be frank here, we all knew about already, that we really did not care about and based again on what I see, lots of chat not a lot of doing
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 08:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Bouncing Tigger
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 1
Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I agree. It is not the responsibility of a 17-year-old girl to go to China, India USA or the UK

I have great respect and no objection to teenagers. I don’t feel the need to listen or respect a teenager who is being manipulated by those around her and the press, as a mother there is no way I’d be sending my 16-year-old around the world with that level of scrutiny. but then again her mother has made a lot of money, we are told, from book publishing and stating the fragility of TG mental health. That is the real worry for me when the next one comes along when her fresh face is not so fresh, where will all the GT followers be?

The teenagers that I do have respect for and admire are those that do not just stand up and speak but are actually trying to offer solutions

As the creator of a device that saves lives and got him a free ride to college, Paul Hyman has a lot to be happy about. After volunteering as a firefighter, he designed a new mask for firefighters that uses infrared cameras to help them see through the smoke. Thanks to this invention, Clarkson University offered him a full-ride scholarship to attend their school.

At only 16, Ann’s science fair project became the talk of the science community. Using the idea of thermoelectrics, Ann created a flashlight that is powered by holding it in your hand. For the 1 billion people in the world without access to steady electricity, a light that you can power with your body is a life-change

As the son of two doctors, 15-year-old Suman knew how important it is for some people to monitor their heart rate. So he used his summer vacation to research and create the Steth IO app and phone attachment, which not only monitors a patients heart rate but also doubles as a stethoscope.

After realizing how many people in the Philippines had trouble getting access to electricity, Angelo Casimiro had the idea of using people’s footsteps to power phone chargers. So he designed a special sneaker that charges your phone as you walk, reducing the need for electricity.

And twenty-Year-old Bowan. slat who invented and brought to market something to clean the oceans of plastic

mnn/earth-matters/wi...-its-happening

I suspect many on here have not even heard of them, the press won't focus on those doing positive stuff. I am not saying that her message is not important, but those kids mentioned above are not in the headlines, sailing around the world on a bloody catamaran with an entourage of people, they are doing, we need more doers in the world we have enough people pontificating. They are doing something what’s she doing, highlighting an issue that, let’s be frank here, we all knew about already, that we really did not care about and based again on what I see, lots of chat not a lot of doing
Well said, you took the words out of my mouth.

Quality Inn International Oct 97 & Sep 2002
Rosen Inn @ Pointe Orlando Nov 2006
Coco Key Hotel & Water Park Oct 2012
POR Oct 2017 30th anniversary trip
May 2019 POFQ
POFQ again 2022
The best of the best 2023
Bouncing Tigger is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Bianca
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
... we need more doers in the world we have enough people pontificating...

“I cannot discover that anyone knows enough to say definitely what is and what is not possible", Henry Ford

Contemporary Resort - Disneyland Hotel - Treehouse Villas - Vistana - Youth Hostel Anaheim - Quality Inn Intern'l Dr - Port Orleans Riverside
Bianca is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Moorlandman
Imagineer

Moorlandman's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. If only some of the older generation took it seriously rather than denying it is happening or sneering at those trying to make a difference.
No chance. Just look at the main age group that voted Brexit (over 60's)
Moorlandman is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:16 PM  
Link to this Post
SimonB
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by moorlandman View Post
no chance. Just look at the main age group that voted brexit (over 60's)
😂😂😂😂😂😂
SimonB is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Feb 20, 11:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Stitch & Smudge
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
Wholeheartedly agree. If only some of the older generation took it seriously rather than denying it is happening or sneering at those trying to make a difference.
Originally Posted by Moorlandman View Post
No chance. Just look at the main age group that voted Brexit (over 60's)
Taken from someone else -
My generation, for example, repaired things that were not working properly and it was not uncommon to have old but very well working appliances, TVs and cars that we were proud of.
Now, it seems the younger generations tends to put a high value on new things and they “recycle” old things. Things such as TVs, cell phones, laptops and a vast array of electronics that are often in working order are discarded after only few years. Many of these items are produced and recycled in Asia where carbon emissions from factories are not well regulated and new products and products destined for recycling are transported around the globe by large container ships that are also some of the worst carbon emitters.
In my generation, when we were hungry we made ourselves a sandwich for lunch and cooked most of our meals at home.
Now the younger generations seems to think it’s acceptable to sign on to a food delivery app and order someone to drive across town and pick up from a restaurant that will use an excessive amount of packaging material in order to deliver a single meal to their doorstep.
In my generation, we walked to school. Yes, even in the rain and snow. It took about half an hour if I remember correctly and sometimes it was the best exercise we got all day. Now it seems the younger generations think it’s a parent’s duty to drive them to school. I cringe every time I see these long lineups of idling cars in front of schools each morning and afternoon.
Then in the evenings, kids are often driven again back and forth to a sports facility so they can get their exercise.
So I guess what I’m saying is that while I’m happy to see the younger generation mobilizing and demanding change, I am disappointed with where they seem to be placing all the blame.
I would ask that they recognize that some of the things the older generation did were saving a great deal of carbon emissions way back then. Change begins with the things you can control and making tough choices.

Add to this that they recycled glass bottles for juice and milk and washed out nappies etc I think many of the older generation are being given an unfairly hard time. I’m afraid it’s those of us under 50 who have become the lazier generation and many of those we are bringing up are worse.
Stitch & Smudge is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 01:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Donaldfan
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lindaelaine View Post
Genuine question, I have been led to believe that flights are one of the biggest problems with climate change, how would everyone feel if flights were massively reduced and you could no longer holiday abroad, also your mileage in your car was limited to a need to travel basis, surely these are the prime things needed to be done to make a difference, how do people feel about giving up their holidays and being limited to the use of their car?
We can all help on a daily basis and I'm sure most of us are aware of this now and do what is necessary, but that's just the small things that we are doing, to make a real difference we need to think of the bigger picture.
I can't drive so don't have a car. I don't go on holiday every year, often there's a 5 year gap or more between them, and I usually holiday in the UK. This year will be my my third trip to Orlando and the number of times I've been abroad is in single figures.
Donaldfan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List