Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Feb 20, 11:50 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Generations blaming each other gets us nowhere - we are where we are. Our energies should go into what we do about it.
I agree, I’m amazed at this side of the argument. Everyone is responsible as we all live in the modern world and contribute to climate change. It affects everyone, why is there criticism of people who want to make changes? What is the alternative? Just hope it goes away?
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 11:56 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

College Green was very muddy a week or so ago, it’s been raining. Of course it’s worse after a crowd of people walked on it. There could have been any public event there which would have affected it. The grass will grow as others have said, very hardy plants.
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 02:00 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
I agree. It is not the responsibility of a 17-year-old girl to go to China, India USA or the UK

I have great respect and no objection to teenagers. I don’t feel the need to listen or respect a teenager who is being manipulated by those around her and the press, as a mother there is no way I’d be sending my 16-year-old around the world with that level of scrutiny. but then again her mother has made a lot of money, we are told, from book publishing and stating the fragility of TG mental health. That is the real worry for me when the next one comes along when her fresh face is not so fresh, where will all the GT followers be?

The teenagers that I do have respect for and admire are those that do not just stand up and speak but are actually trying to offer solutions

As the creator of a device that saves lives and got him a free ride to college, Paul Hyman has a lot to be happy about. After volunteering as a firefighter, he designed a new mask for firefighters that uses infrared cameras to help them see through the smoke. Thanks to this invention, Clarkson University offered him a full-ride scholarship to attend their school.

At only 16, Ann’s science fair project became the talk of the science community. Using the idea of thermoelectrics, Ann created a flashlight that is powered by holding it in your hand. For the 1 billion people in the world without access to steady electricity, a light that you can power with your body is a life-change

As the son of two doctors, 15-year-old Suman knew how important it is for some people to monitor their heart rate. So he used his summer vacation to research and create the Steth IO app and phone attachment, which not only monitors a patients heart rate but also doubles as a stethoscope.

After realizing how many people in the Philippines had trouble getting access to electricity, Angelo Casimiro had the idea of using people’s footsteps to power phone chargers. So he designed a special sneaker that charges your phone as you walk, reducing the need for electricity.

And twenty-Year-old Bowan. slat who invented and brought to market something to clean the oceans of plastic

mnn/earth-matters/wi...-its-happening

I suspect many on here have not even heard of them, the press won't focus on those doing positive stuff. I am not saying that her message is not important, but those kids mentioned above are not in the headlines, sailing around the world on a bloody catamaran with an entourage of people, they are doing, we need more doers in the world we have enough people pontificating. They are doing something what’s she doing, highlighting an issue that, let’s be frank here, we all knew about already, that we really did not care about and based again on what I see, lots of chat not a lot of doing
Money
Greta Thunberg was awarded the Environmental Award from the Nordic Council. She rejected the money, £40,000, saying the movement did not need it.

She was given the Right Livelihood Award with a prize of one million Swedish Krona(81k) in December.
This award was used to set up the Greta Thunberg Foundation to hold the funds from prize awards, donations and book deals to ensure transparency. The aim of the Foundation is to promote ecological and social sustainability and mental health issues.
Greta Thunberg states that all profits from the books written by her family will be donated to charity.

I could not find where it stated that her mother, opera singer Malena Ernman made lots of money from the book about her family. I would be grateful if you would direct me to that information.

Greta’s father, Svante Thunberg, accompanied her on the catamaran along with crew and a cameraman.

The actions of the inventive teenagers you have listed are impressive, and you are absolutely right, they do deserve more acknowledgement from the world at large for their commitment and contribution to science and the betterment of mankind.

However, I believe many on this forum underestimate Greta Thunberg.
This teenager has shown absolute commitment to her beliefs. She has not been swayed by money, fame nor the derisive comments by those in the media, social media or by politicians such as Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin.
She can stand in front of thousands of people, in front of politicians, world leaders, the UN and remind all that we are one people, this planet is home to all of us and we have a duty to protect it. A duty we have been derelict in thus far.

For those concerned about the College Green in Bristol, please note that the charity, Sustrans, members of who attended the Strike yesterday, has begun to crowdfund to repair the Green and have raise over £5000. They hope to raise £20,000 so please donate if you worry the grass will not regrow.

For those who think Greta Thunberg has a sneering look, the girl has Asperger’s, the look is involuntary.

I admire Greta Thunberg. I believe she is a great role model on how one voice can change the world by galvanising others into action.

I am unsure if any celebrity fans saw her in Bristol, but I have no doubt two of her most famous admirers, Sir David Attenborough and his Holiness Pope Francis will continue to watch her inspirational journey with interest.

Edited at 03:10 PM.
vowels is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Can anybody please tell me, apart from some inspirational truancy, and trashing another small part of the environment, what new climate/green policies did the protest create among the worlds biggest polluters?

I’d really like to know...
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post
Can anybody please tell me, apart from some inspirational truancy, and trashing another small part of the environment, what new climate/green policies did the protest create among the worlds biggest polluters?

That's not how protests work. Even Rosa Parks and MLK didn't get to create new policies. Civil action demands change, it sparks a discussion, and just occasionally changes are made off the back of that.

This week the Heathrow expansion was judged an unlawful decision due to not considering the climate emergency that the government declared. That climate declaration was in part a response to public protests.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:31 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by SussexFamily View Post

I am not sure she has any influence with the world leaders. So the question is - has she got influence with for example those attending yesterday. I wonder how many will start walking to school. How many will be saying to their parents "lets not go on the nice holiday where we have to fly". How many will not be chasing the new iPhone or gaming machine. etc. etc. Not many me things.
So I do wonder about her effectiveness in reality.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

The real influence comes when today’s young people are the voters of the future. If they are good to their word, government policy will be radically different.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Lostbrain
Imagineer

Mobile

My daughter read her book, she hasn't wanted to strike, but she was involved in a discussion about not flying this year and as a result we're taking a train to travel to France and Spain this summer, she asked us to ditch the car for the holidays. She's helped us reduce our plastic consumption and reduce the amount of beef we eat.
Lostbrain is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
The real influence comes when today’s young people are the voters of the future. If they are good to their word, government policy will be radically different.
I hope you are right. We will start to see if this is the case in 5 years when we have an election and many now teenagers will become voters by then. There should at least be a marker if this is the case.
tspill is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Feb 20, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Individual efforts are to be commended , however, without government intervention nothing will change.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List