Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 22 Jun 18, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

Feb 2019?

Hi All,

I am a WDW and DLP regular but we have only been tot he west coast once, donkeys years ago, and never visited Disney California.
I am looking to see if it is feasible to go approx 9th feb for about 12 days (to include school half term) and have 6 nights in Disney's grand Californian (DVC) and then 6 nights in the Hilton next door to Universal Studios...

so my question is, is 6 nights too much for each of these areas of LA?

Is Feb an ok time to go? (will also be doing WDW in the summer so not too bothered about the weather but don't want it freezing!)

would like to do the WB tour - is this doable?

any other thoughts / comments welcome
thanks
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 05:03 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Disney California is about the same size and layout as DLP. You can do it all in 2 days if you pushed and 3-4 is what most people do. 6 days is too many.

Anaheim is also an area that does not have much else around it. To get to Universal, Hollywood, Warner Bros Studio tour is 1.5 to 2 hours drive away so a lot of travelling.

If I had 12 nights, I'd probably look at 4-5 in Anaheim for Disney, Knotts Berry if you want to do that, and maybe a day trip to Long Beach. I'd then head down to San Diego for 3-4 nights and do the sights / parks there and then go back up to Hollywood / Burbank for 3 nights to do Hollywood, Universal, Warner Bros, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica etc and maybe Six Flags Magic Mountain.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jun 18, 11:10 PM  
Link to this Post
Beth_Disney
Imagineer

I was going to make a comment on your itinerary but 400ixl has beat me to it, I echo these suggestions.

Our last visit was Feb half term 2017 and we had a range of different weathers. We were wearing jeans, hoodies and waterproof jackets in Disney as it was pouring down and then we were baking whilst doing a mini hike from Griffith Observatory! I don’t have good luck with weather and have seen rain in Vegas in August, I’m jinxed!

WB tour is really interesting and you book through the website. We’ve also done the Paramount tour and enjoyed that. The WB tour would be better for a 1st time visit.

Are you hiring DVC points or do you already have them? Only reason I ask is that there are lots of good neighbour hotels within easy walking distance of the parks. I would check those out before making a final decision as they will save you lots of money.
Beth_Disney is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 12:16 AM  
Link to this Post
daytonababe
Imagineer

daytonababe's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
There is a age restriction on Warner Bros, you have to be 8 or over..

Way too long in both places imo.. 3 nights in Anaheim in plenty and Universal can be done in a day so you don't need many nights in that area really.

I've been in LA/Anaheim the last 4 years at the end of Feb/ March and the weather can be changeable.. last year in Disney it was roasting hot one day ,pouring with rain the next, year before that roasting both days.

We visited several beaches last year and it was very windy, not sit on the beach weather, Santa Monica Pie was very windy to the point it wasn't much fun walking on it.

This year we again had a lot of rain one of the days.

I don't know if budget is a issue but the hotels you mention will be pretty expensive.

We stay in a good neighbour hotel in Anaheim far cheaper and less than 10 mins walk to the parks.
daytonababe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 04:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Vikkicat
Apprentice Imagineer

thanks you all for the thoughts... ok, so feb 1/2 term may not be the best for weather - we too are jinxed with weather so i'd rather err on the side of caution (we had the coldest chrisoms in WDW this year for years!)

we have DVC so was thinking of we could at the 7 months use those, ad it seems feb is about the only time of year thats ever an option! we were trying to make it as cost effective as poss... but the price i had seen on the BA site must have been a glitch as i could not go any further than putting the card details on then it kept kicking me out!

will have a rethink and plan on a few days in anaheim...

thanks again
Vikki
Vikkicat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jun 18, 09:43 PM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

California is cursed with a cold sea current, so near the coast it can be chilly! They do get bad spells of weather during winter, pot luck I'm afraid. 6 and 6 does seem too much in both locations, Griffith Park, Hollywood Walk of fame/Sunset blvd, Santa Monica/Malibu, Warner bros, Universal, plus a couple of rest days could fill your 6 in the Universal area.
We did 5 days in disney this Easter, which was great for my family, be aware though that they use the quiet months to take rides down for maintenance - I think Daytonababe had a particularly bad time of it this year. Are you happy to drive? - could you go furth inland for a few days - Palm Springs or somewhere, though again, high roads will be closed for snow, and even lower routes can struggle in bad weather. Good luck.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List